GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The issue on piracy"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/03/05 at 21:29
Regular
"Pwned"
Upwire news article:

"Comical images of cutlass brandishing, peg-legged, one-eyed scoundrels trying to flog you a dodgy copy of Finding Nemo with a hand-drawn cover aside, DVD pirating is a rather prominent and serious issue at the moment. Apparently illegally copied DVDs are costing the industry millions in lost revenue, mainly through DVDs being ripped onto computer and made available on the internet.

The copy protection firm Macrovision have developed a new weapon in the battle against the pirates - 'RipGuard' technology. It's basically a patch that blocks DVD ripper software from getting past the code that usually scrambles DVD contents. It can be applied to discs to make them much more difficult to hack and therefore nearly impossible to rip on to a computer.

Slightly dubious is the fact that RipGuard won't be able to prevent all hackers from passing the scramble code, just most of them. Presumably this means RipGuard can be hacked, and the methods for doing so may well be propagated through shady cyber taverns fairly soon after its introduction.

Still, hats off to Macrovision who plan to regularly update RipGuard to keep the hackers at bay, the news will certainly please Hollywood execs and those in the DVD business who are feeling pretty hacked off (ha-de ha ha) by piracy."

So piracy is obviously affecting the movie industry and costing them millions. And it seems that they are still strongly taking action against piracy and Macrovision's new RipGuard will put some piracy on hold for a while.

Should the industry be spending all this money on preventing piracy, or should they just step aside and let it happen? At the moment they obviously are trying their best to prevent it, and it's not just the movie industry.

Nintendo and THQ are also very keen to prevent it. THQ commented on the matter when a man complained about a pirated version of Monsters inc, by saying; "We are working with the appropriate authorities to investigate and prosecute parties responsible for this unfortunate incident to the fullest extent of the law."

Nintendo have also commented on piracy by saying; "Nintendo won't tolerate these illegal products, and is grateful to it's devoted costomers. We will aggressively protect the quality and integrity of the video game products are fans are so loyal to." - Jodi Daugherty, director of anti-piracy.

So almost every industry, especialy the movie industry are all very keen to prevent piracy, probably more than ever. But still doing everything they can to prevent it, it's unlikly that it will stop all together anytime soon. So do you think they should step aside, or should they spend more money to bring piracy to an end all together?
Wed 09/03/05 at 22:32
Regular
"Pwned"
Hmm, but her job is to prevent it... but then she will have no job...

...you're right. Ahem, anyways I think (it?) is probably a women as (it?) name is Jodi.
Wed 09/03/05 at 22:26
Regular
"\\"
Firestarter wrote:
> Nintendo have also commented on piracy by saying; "Nintendo
> won't tolerate these illegal products, and is grateful to it's
> devoted costomers. We will aggressively protect the quality and
> integrity of the video game products are fans are so loyal
> to."
- Jodi Daugherty, director of anti-piracy.

I can't even be bothered to read the comment. But his (her?) job title clearly shouts "LIE"... If it wasn't for piracy, he (she?) wouldn't have a job.

Anyway.
Wed 09/03/05 at 22:24
Regular
"lets go back"
Yeah, not everyone does it the way i do. I have a decent mix of pirated and non pirated cd's. And as I said earlier, I tend to buy new stuff and pirate old stuff / rubbish stuff. If a band is good then i'll buy it properly. Doing it this way does kind of work, but loads of people pirate everything, which can cause harm to the industry.

I honeslty think that cd's should be cheaper tho. I'd buy loads more if they were. I hate buying a cd for £10-15 then finding out its rubbish and never playing it.
Wed 09/03/05 at 22:21
Regular
"Get It?Got It?Good!"
I was in the cinema today seeing Hide and Seek and there was this old bloke sitting to our left with a movie camera making a pirate so every 5 minutes we shouted something out or made some noise just to ruin his copy.
Wed 09/03/05 at 22:16
Regular
"Pwned"
Yeah, but other people do. And it's obviously doing somthing to them, because of the action they're taking against piracy. Also remember, it only takes one person to copy a file and put it in some kind of shared folder for it to be shared across the internet. And with millions of people doing this, you can imagine what affect this has on the industry.
Wed 09/03/05 at 22:15
Regular
"lets go back"
They dont actually loose anything tho do they. If a shipment of CD's was stollen they would loose something but if a file is coppied they loose nothing. If I wasnt going to buy it anyway they arent loosing any money.
Wed 09/03/05 at 22:15
Regular
"Pwned"
Whilst it's downloading that does the damage to the music industry, it's copying and ripping dvds that does the damage to the movie industry. And it's becoming exceedingly easier, because of dvds, dvd rewiters, blank dvds, dvd copying software, etc becoming a lot more cheaper and easier to aquire.
Wed 09/03/05 at 22:11
Regular
"Pwned"
But it's the ilegal ones and the ones that are not in conection with the music industry that cause the trouble, because the music industry gains nothing from the them, but they are ripping off the music industry and selling singles as they come out for a very cheap price and most of the time, for free.
Wed 09/03/05 at 22:02
Regular
"lets go back"
My MP3 player has tracks on that i've ripped from cd's that ive bought so I dont think MP3 players are to blame.

I download quite a bit of music, but it tends to be older stuff. I buy quite a lot of new cd's also. There are loads of bands I wouldnt even know about if it wasnt for pirated material; Bands who's cd's ive bought since listening to pirated cd's. Its kind of a form of advertising. The industry isnt loosing out by me, and others, downloading stuff because I wouldnt buy the cd's anyway. Its actually gaining because if i like what I hear it tempts me to buy original material by the same artisit.
Wed 09/03/05 at 21:52
Regular
"Pwned"
Cycloon wrote:
> Bull.
>
> I have an MP3 player, high capacity.
>
> I still buy CDs.

I am not a really big music fan, but since I got my mp3 player, I haven't bought a single CD. And I don't see any reason why I would want to.

Edit - Infact, one of the reasons why I have become a much bigger music fan is because I can now afford a hell of a lot more music than I used to, because of my mp3 player.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.