GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The issue on piracy"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/03/05 at 21:29
Regular
"Pwned"
Upwire news article:

"Comical images of cutlass brandishing, peg-legged, one-eyed scoundrels trying to flog you a dodgy copy of Finding Nemo with a hand-drawn cover aside, DVD pirating is a rather prominent and serious issue at the moment. Apparently illegally copied DVDs are costing the industry millions in lost revenue, mainly through DVDs being ripped onto computer and made available on the internet.

The copy protection firm Macrovision have developed a new weapon in the battle against the pirates - 'RipGuard' technology. It's basically a patch that blocks DVD ripper software from getting past the code that usually scrambles DVD contents. It can be applied to discs to make them much more difficult to hack and therefore nearly impossible to rip on to a computer.

Slightly dubious is the fact that RipGuard won't be able to prevent all hackers from passing the scramble code, just most of them. Presumably this means RipGuard can be hacked, and the methods for doing so may well be propagated through shady cyber taverns fairly soon after its introduction.

Still, hats off to Macrovision who plan to regularly update RipGuard to keep the hackers at bay, the news will certainly please Hollywood execs and those in the DVD business who are feeling pretty hacked off (ha-de ha ha) by piracy."

So piracy is obviously affecting the movie industry and costing them millions. And it seems that they are still strongly taking action against piracy and Macrovision's new RipGuard will put some piracy on hold for a while.

Should the industry be spending all this money on preventing piracy, or should they just step aside and let it happen? At the moment they obviously are trying their best to prevent it, and it's not just the movie industry.

Nintendo and THQ are also very keen to prevent it. THQ commented on the matter when a man complained about a pirated version of Monsters inc, by saying; "We are working with the appropriate authorities to investigate and prosecute parties responsible for this unfortunate incident to the fullest extent of the law."

Nintendo have also commented on piracy by saying; "Nintendo won't tolerate these illegal products, and is grateful to it's devoted costomers. We will aggressively protect the quality and integrity of the video game products are fans are so loyal to." - Jodi Daugherty, director of anti-piracy.

So almost every industry, especialy the movie industry are all very keen to prevent piracy, probably more than ever. But still doing everything they can to prevent it, it's unlikly that it will stop all together anytime soon. So do you think they should step aside, or should they spend more money to bring piracy to an end all together?
Wed 09/03/05 at 21:29
Regular
"Pwned"
Upwire news article:

"Comical images of cutlass brandishing, peg-legged, one-eyed scoundrels trying to flog you a dodgy copy of Finding Nemo with a hand-drawn cover aside, DVD pirating is a rather prominent and serious issue at the moment. Apparently illegally copied DVDs are costing the industry millions in lost revenue, mainly through DVDs being ripped onto computer and made available on the internet.

The copy protection firm Macrovision have developed a new weapon in the battle against the pirates - 'RipGuard' technology. It's basically a patch that blocks DVD ripper software from getting past the code that usually scrambles DVD contents. It can be applied to discs to make them much more difficult to hack and therefore nearly impossible to rip on to a computer.

Slightly dubious is the fact that RipGuard won't be able to prevent all hackers from passing the scramble code, just most of them. Presumably this means RipGuard can be hacked, and the methods for doing so may well be propagated through shady cyber taverns fairly soon after its introduction.

Still, hats off to Macrovision who plan to regularly update RipGuard to keep the hackers at bay, the news will certainly please Hollywood execs and those in the DVD business who are feeling pretty hacked off (ha-de ha ha) by piracy."

So piracy is obviously affecting the movie industry and costing them millions. And it seems that they are still strongly taking action against piracy and Macrovision's new RipGuard will put some piracy on hold for a while.

Should the industry be spending all this money on preventing piracy, or should they just step aside and let it happen? At the moment they obviously are trying their best to prevent it, and it's not just the movie industry.

Nintendo and THQ are also very keen to prevent it. THQ commented on the matter when a man complained about a pirated version of Monsters inc, by saying; "We are working with the appropriate authorities to investigate and prosecute parties responsible for this unfortunate incident to the fullest extent of the law."

Nintendo have also commented on piracy by saying; "Nintendo won't tolerate these illegal products, and is grateful to it's devoted costomers. We will aggressively protect the quality and integrity of the video game products are fans are so loyal to." - Jodi Daugherty, director of anti-piracy.

So almost every industry, especialy the movie industry are all very keen to prevent piracy, probably more than ever. But still doing everything they can to prevent it, it's unlikly that it will stop all together anytime soon. So do you think they should step aside, or should they spend more money to bring piracy to an end all together?
Wed 09/03/05 at 21:31
Regular
"Arf. Arf. Arf. Arf."
Piracy pwns.
Wed 09/03/05 at 21:32
Regular
"8==="
The movie and music industries need to cut their spending on drugs for their stars.

They're not exactly 'squeaky clean' in the first place so they shouldn't be pointing any fingers.
Wed 09/03/05 at 21:36
Regular
"Pwned"
The music industry is also in big trouble. It's probibly the easiest industry to commit piracy on, and by far the most popular. And the fact that mp3 players are so popular now isn't helping.
Wed 09/03/05 at 21:38
Regular
"8==="
Nope.

Album sales are up.

Singles sales are down.

Singles are 95% crap and cost a third/half the price of an album - so people may aswell get the album then instead.
Wed 09/03/05 at 21:41
Regular
"Pwned"
But most people now days have an mp3 player and don't buy any form of CD, because it's a lot cheaper to download. And there are a few legal sites, such as iTunes and Napster, but then again, there are a lot more ilegal ones as well, and it's those ones that are causing the damage.
Wed 09/03/05 at 21:44
Regular
"8==="
But this is an old arguement.

Shortly this thread will probably have people saying "I downloaded track so-and-so for free and then went out and bought the album". I myself have done such a thing and sometimes if I have downloaded something and not paid for it a friend has heard me listening to it, liked it, and gone out and bought the album.

Downloading stops you buying an album that's full of filler because you can check it out beforehand.
Wed 09/03/05 at 21:48
Regular
"Arf. Arf. Arf. Arf."
I haven't bought a CD in about 3 years now.
And in the last 3 months I've gathered about 10GB worth of MP3's on my 'puter.

Edit: Actually, that's a lie, I was obsessed with the band SikTh for a while, and bought every piece of merchandise they have.
Wed 09/03/05 at 21:49
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Bull.

I have an MP3 player, high capacity.

I still buy CDs.
Wed 09/03/05 at 21:50
Regular
"Pwned"
Hedfix wrote:
> But this is an old arguement.
>
> Shortly this thread will probably have people saying "I
> downloaded track so-and-so for free and then went out and bought the
> album". I myself have done such a thing and sometimes if I have
> downloaded something and not paid for it a friend has heard me
> listening to it, liked it, and gone out and bought the album.
>
> Downloading stops you buying an album that's full of filler because
> you can check it out beforehand.

Fair point, but the fact is that record companies arn't making as much money as they used to/ should be, and most of this is down to the internet.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.