GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"im creating a new game"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/11/04 at 20:13
Regular
"shamole"
me nd my friends are creating a new game based on Halo + halo2 the trailer will be out soon(orlater)
Tue 07/12/04 at 08:56
Regular
chippxero wrote:
> I wanna see a trailer of this game. I assume it will be a mix of 3d
> animation and in game graphics. Anyone else on here working on this
> with spam as he doen't seem to be posting anything.
>
> When can we expect to see some stuff even a screenie or 2. Quite
> interested in what the finished product will be.

Are you being serious?

[S]It's extremely hard to tell.
Tue 07/12/04 at 03:00
yeah I'm lookinh forward to it when Im an OAP.
Tue 07/12/04 at 02:35
Regular
"Captain to you."
I wanna see a trailer of this game. I assume it will be a mix of 3d animation and in game graphics. Anyone else on here working on this with spam as he doen't seem to be posting anything.

When can we expect to see some stuff even a screenie or 2. Quite interested in what the finished product will be.
Tue 07/12/04 at 02:18
Scuse for any silly typos. a bit bladdered.

Of course Dark Basic will be slower than Cpp in compiling code, it's not even the best in what it really aims to excel at, the Directx implementation, since its essentially creating its own wrapping classes for Dx rather than use Microsoft's implementtaion of it.

However, you will find that writing code in DB is MUCH quicker than in Cpp; someitmes something that takes 200 lines will only take 30-ish on Dark basic. Therefore it's good for prototyping your experiements, though it's good enough to write your own game as a hobby and still be proud of the outcome.
Tue 07/12/04 at 01:58
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Fozz wrote:
> It IS limited garin, you can do so much more with c++, you have so
> much more control over the implemintation and running of your
> program. you could probably make it ru about 5 times faster in c++.

I wasn't attempting to compare Dark Basic with C, C++, C#, Java or any other programming language. Of course it might be considered limited using the criteria that you've applied.
Tue 07/12/04 at 01:09
Regular
"Copyright (c) 2004"
chippxero wrote:
> 3d max costs time not money.
>
> The time it take to go to certain websites and download it. Or just
> get a student version but thats still £75 for the year.
>
> or if your lucky like me your uni is full of computers with it.
>
> I suggest max just cause it's such a great program and easy to use.
> Plus alot of game editors support the importing of max files and
> often have support to help do it. Useful ashould someone go in to
> modding.

To get a version where it would be legal for you to make graphics for commercial games costs thousands.

Last time I heard a student version costs £500, must have changed a lot. Max isnt much different from milkshape or truescape. theyre all the same.

c++ is pretty nasty and hard to learn. I'll be doing java next semester woohooo! I dont knowhow good it is for games. c++ is great at it though.

Ok bob, I'll sit here, while you make the game. lol. ok fine, sell the idea to me. (convince me not ACTUALLY sell it to me)

It IS limited garin, you can do so much more with c++, you have so much more control over the implemintation and running of your program. you could probably make it ru about 5 times faster in c++.

Do you guys want to make games and stuff for money or for actually making games? The industry has becomes so centered on money lately and huge teams, big production games, franchises etc that people have forgotten what games are all about. except introversion.
Mon 06/12/04 at 22:44
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Nah, it's like having a piece of paper and a big fat crayon. You can
> draw, but not with finesse. Someting like C# is a fine pencil, but
> it's far harder to get something down.

Perhaps, although in the end it comes down to the user of the tool in alot of respects. But either way, besides the point I intended to make. There is nothing you cannot make with Dark Basic (not talking about quality here). Modding is great and I wouldn't say otherwise, but you're always working within the confines of the engine at hand (ie you dont have a blank piece of paper). The great appeal of modding is that it gives you impressive results fairly quickly but only because you're modifying somebody elses already impressive work.
Mon 06/12/04 at 20:26
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Garin wrote:
> I really don't understand statements like that. Its a bit like
> having a piece of paper and saying what you can draw on it is
> limited.

Nah, it's like having a piece of paper and a big fat crayon. You can draw, but not with finesse. Someting like C# is a fine pencil, but it's far harder to get something down.
Mon 06/12/04 at 19:14
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
MJ wrote:
> Anyway, I suppose Dark Basic and other programs are a good idea, but
> from what I've experienced with them they're so restricting.

I really don't understand statements like that. Its a bit like having a piece of paper and saying what you can draw on it is limited.
Mon 06/12/04 at 18:56
Regular
MJ wrote:
> Depends on what you're into really, as I mentioned I do graphics
> design so my work is 100% based in Photoshop, which is good for me as
> I had a copy already from my older brother.

I've been trying to learn Photoshop, could you recommend me any good sites with free tutorials?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.