GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can Capital Punishment Ever be Justified in a Civilised Society?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/11/06 at 21:16
Regular
"Tempus Fugit"
Do you think Capital Punishment could ever be justified in a civilised society. For example, saddum Huesain, lets say Iraq was an EDC (Economically developed country), could it ever be justified to sentance him to the death penalty. He did kill all those people etc, but what gives thos epeople the right to kill another human being, does that not make them just as bad as Saddum.

Or, looking a little closer to home, in Britain, lets say there was a murderer who killed 13 people, could it ever be justified to kill him, would it be morally right to carry out the execution.

Similarly, George Bush ordering the attack on Iraq and Afghanistan; all those civillians who died because of the orders of george bush, dos that not make him the same as Saddum Huesain. Thety bothe gave orders, except for Saddums were to kill specifics, Bush on the other hand knew there would be civillian causalties but he considered them acceptable.

So i ask the question again:
Can Capital Punishment ever be justified in a civilised society?
Sat 02/12/06 at 18:05
Regular
"I may return"
I've gotcha thinking haven't I? :P
Sat 02/12/06 at 17:57
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I don't know, I mean, he's like 60 or something, would his equipment be classed as a vital organ?

I'm sorry I'm ruining a perfectly good thread, I'm going.
Sat 02/12/06 at 17:26
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
You're planning on, say, for example cutting off Saddam Hussein's, erm, equipment?
Sat 02/12/06 at 17:14
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Sunflower wrote:
> Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> How do you give a killer a taste of their own medicine without
> killing them?
>
> Err, perhaps cut a vital organ in a way that he/she can still
> live but be in alot of pain for the rest of their life.
> I don't know if thats possible, just a suggestion.

Sounds like a plan to me.
Sat 02/12/06 at 16:34
Regular
"Author of Pain"
The angle I look at capital punishment is that some people are potrentially incapable of integrating into society in a manner which would be deemed 'civil'. If they cannot live by the rules, and cannot be adapted to follow them, then it might be argued that there is no place in a civilised world for that person.

Therefore, regardless of any level of civilisation, capital punishment is justifiable so long as there are those who refuse to abide by the universally accepted measures of both society and law.

That is not of course to say that it should be done, simply that the argument exists for it to be done.
Sat 02/12/06 at 10:17
Regular
"I may return"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> How do you give a killer a taste of their own medicine without
> killing them?

Err, perhaps cut a vital organ in a way that he/she can still live but be in alot of pain for the rest of their life.
I don't know if thats possible, just a suggestion.
Sat 02/12/06 at 00:15
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
sallyangel87 wrote:
> Even when someone has killed many many people, I believe the
> capital punishment shouldn't be used, as the person is simply
> killed, and therefore isn't taught a lesson or two, or been
> given a taste of their own medicine first.

How do you give a killer a taste of their own medicine without killing them?
Fri 01/12/06 at 20:04
Regular
sallyangel87 wrote:
> I do not believe in my heart that capital punishment can ever be
> justified. I believe that it can't be justified because in the
> law and 10 commandments, which some of the law is based around
> it says, thou shall not kill,

So am I right to think you believe killing is wrong for religious reasons?
Fri 01/12/06 at 19:58
Regular
I do not believe in my heart that capital punishment can ever be justified. I believe that it can't be justified because in the law and 10 commandments, which some of the law is based around it says, thou shall not kill, and capital punishment is effectively killing a person as we know.
Even when someone has killed many many people, I believe the capital punishment shouldn't be used, as the person is simply killed, and therefore isn't taught a lesson or two, or been given a taste of their own medicine first.
I think life in prison to make people stew is much better than killing another human being, as then killing someone with capital punishment makes you a killer too, and it would produce guilt in some people.
Fri 01/12/06 at 11:47
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
The death sentence is effectively a measure for revenge, and I guess sometimes it does make sense... to make an example of what can happen, the ultimate punishment, of taking someone's life from them, ensuring there is no risk that someone deemed enough of a threat can be a problem again.

However, it is barbaric, "Playing God", and can make a martyr of criminals. And it's no better than the deeds of a murderer themself if a government decides to take their life. To make examples of people it is brutal, but if it works as a deterrent, then maybe (If it is obvious that the induvidual cannot be found innocent in the future) it is justified in very serious cases.

There is one time in which it can be justified, if at all, on spies in wartime, to silence them from possibly causing your defeat in a conflict, justified also in the respect that in a war, soldiers on each side are killing each other anyway... though of course, it's much preferable if conflicts are settled with diplomacy!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.