GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Making the step to Broadband."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/02/05 at 10:12
Regular
"the burning sky"
Finally decided to leave 56k behind and step up to a broadband service. I've managed to find a 256k service for the same price as the current Dial-up service I have. ( No mention of Names :) ). This package comes with the modem, filters and necessary cables etc. My major concern is the fact that I have two computers on a Cross-wired network, and am wondering how the sharing of the connection will affect the speed, espescially playing online games like CS:S. Now I know you can share a connection and have been told that you can specify who gets the most etc. but is there an option to say that if the other computer isnt on I get the full amount etc? Also I'm assuming that the computer with the modem has to be on for the other computer to use the connection? Any help is appreciated.
Fri 18/02/05 at 10:47
Regular
My router has a modem inside it and was bought from Freeola was easy to set up etc

Why choose a slow BB Conection when the faster ones are about the same price now as most pay monthly dial up connections? if your gaming surely the more speed you can use the better? not done gaming myself but it would seem logical? :-)

Tomoose wrote:
> Hmm a router could be a better option. I'll see what people have to
> say about my set-up first before i buy one :P
Fri 18/02/05 at 10:52
Regular
Just out of curiosity, who is the ISP and how much is it?
Fri 18/02/05 at 10:52
Regular
"the burning sky"
Shelljed wrote:
> Why choose a slow BB Conection when the faster ones are about the
> same price now as most pay monthly dial up connections? if your
> gaming surely the more speed you can use the better? not done gaming
> myself but it would seem logical? :-)

Well my dad doesnt want any extra outlay on Internet stuff, so the BB we have chosen is £15.99 the 'exact' same price that we pay for Dialup. Anyway all I wnated to know is about the sharing of the connection, not for a load of people to come and brag about their connections/criticise my choice. Especially when I'm on a limited budget.
Fri 18/02/05 at 10:53
Regular
"the burning sky"
ßulle†† wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, who is the ISP and how much is it?

I LAC SIT, and look below for the price.
Fri 18/02/05 at 10:59
Regular
Doesn't look too bad really. And yes, I went way off the point, sorry.

As for networking, yes you'd need the host PC to be on, unless you bought a mains-powered router, in which case neither machine is a 'host' as such. The one problem you may encounter though, is that the free modem they give you will be USB powered - and I don't know of any routers that support USB modems.

If this is the case, and there isn't a compatible router available, you may need to invest in a new modem as well as a router. or you could alwways get a modem/router combo.

I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable Forumers will pop on and fgive you their expert advice though :)
Fri 18/02/05 at 11:01
Regular
"Bicycle"
Tomoose wrote:
> I LAC SIT, and look below for the price.

Cunning...
Fri 18/02/05 at 11:01
Regular
"NULL"
Do you get a free modem with your account or not? If not, just buy an ADSL modem/router from anywhere - e.g. SR. It's very easy to setup.
Fri 18/02/05 at 11:02
Regular
"the burning sky"
ßulle†† wrote:
> As for networking, yes you'd need the host PC to be on

I half expected that anyway, but any idea if the speed is compromised. Say the host machine isnt using it, will the other machine get the full connection speed?
Fri 18/02/05 at 11:02
Regular
"the burning sky"
Nimco wrote:
> Do you get a free modem with your account or not? If not, just buy an
> ADSL modem/router from anywhere - e.g. SR. It's very easy to setup.

Did you not read the original post? :^D
Fri 18/02/05 at 11:38
Regular
"Fruit makes you far"
Having a father who uses the aforementioned italian sounding service, I certainly wouldn't recommend going for anything under 512K. I find it unbearable.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.