GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Making the step to Broadband."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/02/05 at 10:12
Regular
"the burning sky"
Finally decided to leave 56k behind and step up to a broadband service. I've managed to find a 256k service for the same price as the current Dial-up service I have. ( No mention of Names :) ). This package comes with the modem, filters and necessary cables etc. My major concern is the fact that I have two computers on a Cross-wired network, and am wondering how the sharing of the connection will affect the speed, espescially playing online games like CS:S. Now I know you can share a connection and have been told that you can specify who gets the most etc. but is there an option to say that if the other computer isnt on I get the full amount etc? Also I'm assuming that the computer with the modem has to be on for the other computer to use the connection? Any help is appreciated.
Tue 01/03/05 at 14:53
Regular
"the burning sky"
That was lucky, found some of the identical cable in an old PCMIA modem I had. Its all set up now, and I get a free gift;

Publishing Studio 3
Starsky and Hutch for PS2
Encyclopedia Britannica 2004

Quality.
Tue 01/03/05 at 14:19
Regular
"the burning sky"
Wow that was speedy, Line was authorised yesterday, which was 6 working days instead of the projected 10. And the modem pack came today, which took 1 day from the line set up, instead of 5 as Tiscali projected. So if you are keeping up it only took 7 working days instead of 15. Only problem is the RJ11 cable supplied isnt long enough, so I have to go and buy some longer stuff. Any idea why Tiscali advice against using normal phone cable extending wire? Its practically the same, non?
Mon 21/02/05 at 17:22
Regular
"the burning sky"
Broadband ordered last night. 15 Days max for the whole order to be processed. Up to to 10 days to check the line, and then 5 days to send the package to me. Cancellation date of Dial-up 19th March, cus Wanadoo conned me into another month. Rang up last night to cancel it, "Sorry your bill for next month went thro today". My ar$e! Since when are bills processed on a Sunday? Anyway its sorted now, and hopefully I LAC SIT wont be too slow in upgrading the service, like so many ISP's have already done!
Sun 20/02/05 at 18:10
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
There is a program called NetLimiter which allows you to control how much bandwidth the computer you install it on uses. It aint free though.
Fri 18/02/05 at 16:45
Regular
"the burning sky"
Miserableman wrote:
> Controlling who gets what share of the internet
> connection is actually a lot less common than you seem to think it is

Blame NovaProspekt, he told me you could do it :P
Fri 18/02/05 at 16:43
Regular
"the burning sky"
Miserableman wrote:
> a lot of useful info

That was great matey! Most appreciated.
Fri 18/02/05 at 14:56
Regular
"bing bang bong"
256Kb/s is perfectly fine for Counterstrike. Online gaming uses negligible bandwidth (256Kb/s is a measure of bandwidth) but requires a low latency (ping), something any broadband connection which isn't being stressed should deliver.

Regarding connection sharing: yes, the computer that the modem is plugged into will need to be on for other computers to connect to the internet through it. Controlling who gets what share of the internet connection is actually a lot less common than you seem to think it is - Neither Windows connection-sharing nor most consumer routers support bandwidth quotas. Each of your computers will fight for whatever bandwidth it can get whenever it needs it. This means that if you're playing CS on the computer in the bedroom and the server computer is idle, then you will get full use of the whole internet connection. However, if someone else jumps on the server and starts downloading stuff then your game of CS:S is going to be in competition with their downloads, the result being your ping will quickly go through the roof. The solution is to make sure no-one else uses the internet connection for anything more intensive than web-browsing while you are gaming online.
Fri 18/02/05 at 13:55
Regular
"Bicycle"
I think they're talking about I LAC SIT...
Fri 18/02/05 at 12:33
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Torquay United! wrote:
> Having a father who uses the aforementioned italian sounding service

Freeola? Mama Mia, mya Freeola isa brokened-a.
Fri 18/02/05 at 11:59
Regular
"NULL"
Tomoose wrote:
> Did you not read the original post? :^D

I did, and forgot that bit, sorry.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.