GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Goddam eBuyer website"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/02/05 at 00:24
"High polygon count"
I can't get on to it. Haven't been able to for weeks now.

I know it's up - I can ping and tracert fine.

Have cleared browser cache, cookies - the lot. Can't access it with either IE or Firefox.

WTF is going on?! Is it NTL?
Wed 16/02/05 at 18:17
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Torquay United! wrote:
> Obviously the amount of time you spent designing your user name leaves
> very little brain power for anything else.

*claps*

Go get 'em!
Wed 16/02/05 at 16:47
Regular
"Fruit makes you far"
I should really remove this as per your suggestion but then that would deny the readership the chance to laugh at this good old-fashioned argument. It's always funny to watch other people arguing after all.

>If they don't like it, a nice quiet removal would be far better than >drawing attention to it by staff making sarky comments, don't you think?
Wed 16/02/05 at 16:29
Regular
"Bicycle"
Ouch.

First time I've seen a moderator flamed in a while, but I guess when you're a notable... :D
Wed 16/02/05 at 16:24
Regular
Wookie - 1 SR - 0
Wed 16/02/05 at 16:22
Regular
"Fruit makes you far"
Oh dear. Just carry on as you were. Better things to do.
Wed 16/02/05 at 15:52
"High polygon count"
Miserableman wrote:
> "The tactful authority of the moderators of ukchatforums.com
> was the reason why everyone there respected the rules"

:-)

Yes, quite. Sound business practice, eh?

Garin wrote:
> I have to say, I really dont see much point in such posts. Of course
> you're right, on the other hand if you're not prepared to enforce
> such the rules, why bother? Pretty much half the posts (ok perhaps
> an exaggeration :P )in this forum link to competitors and yet they
> pass without comment.

A point I was going to make, but now no longer need to. Thank you, Garin.

If they don't like it, a nice quiet removal would be far better than drawing attention to it by staff making sarky comments, don't you think?

Nimco wrote:
> Valid reasons they may be, but it does explicitly say in the forum rules:
>
> Do not post links to our competitors - As a retail site, we reserve the
> right to remove or edit any posts that contain mentions of or links to
> our competititors. Users that persist in doing so will be warned or
> banned if necessary.

Fair enough, but I didn't post any links. I simply enquired about the availability of a website, which could just as easily have been Football365.com or Hotmail.com.

If merely mentioning the name of a competitor is a problem, then maybe things aren't going that well for SR? But then, if Torquay's attitude to customers is inidicative of the staff in general, should we be surprised?

I don't see how my asking about the site availability would actively encourage anyone to actually BUY from eBuyer, particularly if the site did happen to be down, and especially given the wording of the thread title. If I'd said, "eBuyer are so wonderful... why can't I access their site?" I could maybe understand.

The ONLY reason anyone would be tempted would be if the prices are significantly lower. Oh... wait...

I'd be willing to bet that everyone using these forums already knows about eBuyer anyway. It's not like I've given away some closely guarded secret. In fact, I know that several regulars here already buy from them (and other sites) frequently.

Is Torquay actually concerned about customers shopping elsewhere? If so, then I respectfully suggest that his/her time would be better spent looking at ways to cut costs and further reduce prices, than taking childish swipes at previous and potential customers.

These other sites exist. Many people know that they exist - probably more than know about this site. Not wanting direct links is understandable. Not wanting them mentioned at all is ridiculous.

Torquay - you may like to pretend that there is no competition or that you offer the best value around, but unfortunately, in the real world, we already know otherwise. Talking to previous customers like that, when they have spent many thousands of pounds with your company, is not going to do you any favours. Doing it in a public place is even more stupid.

You've certainly cost Special Reserve my next PC purchase, any other major purchases, and any recommendations to family and friends. Well done! I hope Tony finds your salary worth it, given the business you must inevitably cost him with your attitude to his customers.
Wed 16/02/05 at 15:28
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
On the overclockers forum mentioning a competitor earns you a holiday from the forum.
Wed 16/02/05 at 14:58
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Torquay United! wrote:
> Obviously the amount of time you spent designing your user name leaves
> very little brain power for anything else.

"The tactful authority of the moderators of ukchatforums.com was the reason why everyone there respected the rules"
Wed 16/02/05 at 14:48
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Torquay United! wrote:
> Idea: Tell THEM about THEIR web site problem and don't discuss it HERE
> on a COMPETITOR web site.

I have to say, I really dont see much point in such posts. Of course you're right, on the other hand if you're not prepared to enforce such the rules, why bother? Pretty much half the posts (ok perhaps an exaggeration :P )in this forum link to competitors and yet they pass without comment.

If you want to stop it, enforce it. Ok, you cant be expected to read every post and start censoring them. On the other hand, a sticky post warning people about linking would be a nice reminder for everybody of whats expected. You could also add things like ebuyer,overclockers,dabs etc. to the swear filter, although you might still have people evading it by using e-buyer etc. you would stop direct linking.
Wed 16/02/05 at 13:29
Regular
"Fruit makes you far"
Obviously the amount of time you spent designing your user name leaves very little brain power for anything else.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.