GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bit of a Freeola rant coming ..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/02/05 at 13:55
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Well, if it doesn't get said, you can't improve, can you :)

I've also posted this publicly in the hope that it doesn't get buried and ignored, as can sometimes be the case with your ticket system.

1. Chosen method to advertise your anti-spam software.
2. Outdated PHP version number.
3. Customer support not being as reliable as I'd expect.
4. Suggestions.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I'm going to be honest; I didn't take to kindly to your method of mass mailing every single email address I have under my account. While I fully appreciate you want all your customers to know about your new free anti-virus and anti-spam features, the technique used to send out the mails rendered my Outlook Express filtering useless.

You sent out the emails with no To: address defined, something which I expect from spammers, not a company such as yourself. As I said, I have filters set up in Outlook Express, which look at the email coming in, and pop it into the folder I want it to, with any address not defined being chucked into my spam bin. I always check this, just to be sure, and was surprised when it was filled with 10 odd emails from you.

Could I ask that in future, you consider sending out mass emails in a manor that is expected and preferred, with the email address of the person you intend to receive the emails listed in the To: field?

I've added a suggestion related to this in point 4.

I've noted that Freeola customer web sites are still using PHP 4.3.7, even though PHP 4.3.10 is now available. While this may seem like no big deal, I do feel that Freeola could better themselves and customer sites by keeping up to date with version numbers, considering that the last time you upgraded was only a result of a security breach (from what I gather).

Taking a quote from the PHP group regarding their latest release "This is a maintenance release that in addition to over 30 non-critical bug fixes addresses several very serious security issues".

I know that new releases are for a reason; not only for security, but for bug fixes which ensure functions work as expected. This release in particular though relates to some serious security issues, so could I ask why you don't feel the need to keep PHP up to date?

Another host I use (paid for, however) upgraded their servers within 24 hours after I queried them about this new release.

Over the past couple of months or so, I've sent in a few support requests via your ticket system, some of which get answered, some which get sorted, while others do not.

I was quite disappointed that I could receive a response within an hour when I reported a dead link on freeola.com, or a quick reply claiming a security breach wasn't the result of the mass spam from an @addr address (an excuse which I'm sorry to say I don't believe), yet to this day a month old query still remains.

Regarding ticket 117484; I first posted this on the 19th of December, and received a reply on the 21st (a mere two days), which stated "We have found the problem and are rectifying it immediately.". Unfortunately, after a few more postings, this still has not been done.

It was a simple request that my domain (http://www.haignet.co.uk) work without the www. prefix. Doing so at the moment (http://haignet.co.uk) takes me to a Freeola 404 error page, which I would prefer didn't happen.

Another query asking about a possible PHP upgrade (point 2 above) resulted in what appeared to be a cut-and-paste sales pitch to try and get me to purchase one of your dedicated servers, rather than a simple "yes, we will" or "no, we won't because ..." reply which I was expecting.

Regarding point 1, would you consider allows users to mark up (an) email address(es) that are deemed the owner of the account (or otherwise of importance), so that emails from Freeola related to the account, domain names, etc, are only sent to the required address(es)?

For example, I have email addresses set up for web sites as well as family members, and these Freeola related emails don't really need to be sent to these addresses, only to myself. Being able to set it so I'll be the only one to receive these emails would be a welcome feature.

Also, would you be willing to consider building your support ticketing system into the forums / Freeola control panel, so that any queries and responses are accessible and viewable online, rather than just via email?

Again, this would be a welcome feature as I could reference past comments with ease, as well as not have to worry about a filled up folder on my home computer with scattered support emails. Another host (the same who I mentioned upgraded their PHP in a flash) have an online-based support system, which is fantastic.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I'm hoping that one of the higher-ups will take a look at this and add their comments.

Regards,

- Chris
Wed 16/02/05 at 10:50
Regular
"NULL"
So it has - I missed that bit! Sorry.
Wed 16/02/05 at 10:48
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
It's got two Freeola jobs listed at the moment Nimco.
Wed 16/02/05 at 10:39
Regular
"NULL"
Lol - bit of a trek from York, but I am looking for work over the summer - and I live about 20 mins from Sawbridgeworth... I may look into that, cheers. Btw, does that page include the Freeola jobs as well, or is it just SR? Sorry this is OT. I'll stop now.
Wed 16/02/05 at 10:29
Regular
"Fruit makes you far"
If you're in the East Herts/West Essex area you can always speak to our personnel department.

Vacancies are here:

[URL]http://specialreserve.co.uk/corporate/vacancies.php[/URL]
Wed 16/02/05 at 09:33
Regular
"NULL"
Danny, sounds like with all that extra business, you could do with some more staff...got any jobs suitable for a university student? Want any work doing on your web site? Lol...worth a try.
Tue 15/02/05 at 23:41
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
If I'm honest, my complaining was fulled a little by some very bad service from the special reserve mail order side of things, as you're all part of the same company, (yet are also seperate in your own divisions) it is easier to be branded negativly even when another department was responsible.
Tue 15/02/05 at 23:35
Regular
"Fruit makes you far"
You're bound to be annoyed - I would be too.

But it's the fighting against us attitude that gets me hot under the collar. People are all too quick to jump to conclusions and not realise what impact their public allegations or statements can have on the service that they actually care about using.

That's life I suppose.
Tue 15/02/05 at 23:33
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Torquay United! wrote:
> No, I didn't receive anything of this nature, I'll try and make sure
> that the reporting of this type of suggestion does come through.

It was in ticket 118847.

> Believe me, there is a lot of pressure in the support department at
> present not helped by staff training so I have to take this into
> consideration.

That's fair enough, and I appologise if my initial post came over a little bit too negative.
Tue 15/02/05 at 23:25
Regular
"Fruit makes you far"
No, I didn't receive anything of this nature, I'll try and make sure that the reporting of this type of suggestion does come through.

Believe me, there is a lot of pressure in the support department at present not helped by staff training so I have to take this into consideration.

Regards,
Danny
Chief Higher Up
Tue 15/02/05 at 23:06
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Cool, thanks for that.

I have to admit I wasn't really aware of an increase in business, so a fair reason for a suddun slow down in response times. Most of my tickets aren't what I'd call priority, which is why I don't try and tie up the phone line for little things.

Also, regarding the spam, I may have jumped the gun a little, but again, you've got to look at that from a customers point of view. A sudden surge of spam doesn't sit well with anybody, and the company who's responsible for an individuals email will always be the one's to blame from the outset.

Finally, being the higher-up you claim to be, has one of your support staff passed on my suggestion for an opt-out option on domain registration and renewal forms?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.