GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bit of a Freeola rant coming ..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/02/05 at 13:55
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Well, if it doesn't get said, you can't improve, can you :)

I've also posted this publicly in the hope that it doesn't get buried and ignored, as can sometimes be the case with your ticket system.

1. Chosen method to advertise your anti-spam software.
2. Outdated PHP version number.
3. Customer support not being as reliable as I'd expect.
4. Suggestions.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I'm going to be honest; I didn't take to kindly to your method of mass mailing every single email address I have under my account. While I fully appreciate you want all your customers to know about your new free anti-virus and anti-spam features, the technique used to send out the mails rendered my Outlook Express filtering useless.

You sent out the emails with no To: address defined, something which I expect from spammers, not a company such as yourself. As I said, I have filters set up in Outlook Express, which look at the email coming in, and pop it into the folder I want it to, with any address not defined being chucked into my spam bin. I always check this, just to be sure, and was surprised when it was filled with 10 odd emails from you.

Could I ask that in future, you consider sending out mass emails in a manor that is expected and preferred, with the email address of the person you intend to receive the emails listed in the To: field?

I've added a suggestion related to this in point 4.

I've noted that Freeola customer web sites are still using PHP 4.3.7, even though PHP 4.3.10 is now available. While this may seem like no big deal, I do feel that Freeola could better themselves and customer sites by keeping up to date with version numbers, considering that the last time you upgraded was only a result of a security breach (from what I gather).

Taking a quote from the PHP group regarding their latest release "This is a maintenance release that in addition to over 30 non-critical bug fixes addresses several very serious security issues".

I know that new releases are for a reason; not only for security, but for bug fixes which ensure functions work as expected. This release in particular though relates to some serious security issues, so could I ask why you don't feel the need to keep PHP up to date?

Another host I use (paid for, however) upgraded their servers within 24 hours after I queried them about this new release.

Over the past couple of months or so, I've sent in a few support requests via your ticket system, some of which get answered, some which get sorted, while others do not.

I was quite disappointed that I could receive a response within an hour when I reported a dead link on freeola.com, or a quick reply claiming a security breach wasn't the result of the mass spam from an @addr address (an excuse which I'm sorry to say I don't believe), yet to this day a month old query still remains.

Regarding ticket 117484; I first posted this on the 19th of December, and received a reply on the 21st (a mere two days), which stated "We have found the problem and are rectifying it immediately.". Unfortunately, after a few more postings, this still has not been done.

It was a simple request that my domain (http://www.haignet.co.uk) work without the www. prefix. Doing so at the moment (http://haignet.co.uk) takes me to a Freeola 404 error page, which I would prefer didn't happen.

Another query asking about a possible PHP upgrade (point 2 above) resulted in what appeared to be a cut-and-paste sales pitch to try and get me to purchase one of your dedicated servers, rather than a simple "yes, we will" or "no, we won't because ..." reply which I was expecting.

Regarding point 1, would you consider allows users to mark up (an) email address(es) that are deemed the owner of the account (or otherwise of importance), so that emails from Freeola related to the account, domain names, etc, are only sent to the required address(es)?

For example, I have email addresses set up for web sites as well as family members, and these Freeola related emails don't really need to be sent to these addresses, only to myself. Being able to set it so I'll be the only one to receive these emails would be a welcome feature.

Also, would you be willing to consider building your support ticketing system into the forums / Freeola control panel, so that any queries and responses are accessible and viewable online, rather than just via email?

Again, this would be a welcome feature as I could reference past comments with ease, as well as not have to worry about a filled up folder on my home computer with scattered support emails. Another host (the same who I mentioned upgraded their PHP in a flash) have an online-based support system, which is fantastic.

I'm hoping that one of the higher-ups will take a look at this and add their comments.

Regards,

- Chris
Sat 12/02/05 at 13:55
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Well, if it doesn't get said, you can't improve, can you :)

I've also posted this publicly in the hope that it doesn't get buried and ignored, as can sometimes be the case with your ticket system.

1. Chosen method to advertise your anti-spam software.
2. Outdated PHP version number.
3. Customer support not being as reliable as I'd expect.
4. Suggestions.

I'm going to be honest; I didn't take to kindly to your method of mass mailing every single email address I have under my account. While I fully appreciate you want all your customers to know about your new free anti-virus and anti-spam features, the technique used to send out the mails rendered my Outlook Express filtering useless.

You sent out the emails with no To: address defined, something which I expect from spammers, not a company such as yourself. As I said, I have filters set up in Outlook Express, which look at the email coming in, and pop it into the folder I want it to, with any address not defined being chucked into my spam bin. I always check this, just to be sure, and was surprised when it was filled with 10 odd emails from you.

Could I ask that in future, you consider sending out mass emails in a manor that is expected and preferred, with the email address of the person you intend to receive the emails listed in the To: field?

I've added a suggestion related to this in point 4.

I've noted that Freeola customer web sites are still using PHP 4.3.7, even though PHP 4.3.10 is now available. While this may seem like no big deal, I do feel that Freeola could better themselves and customer sites by keeping up to date with version numbers, considering that the last time you upgraded was only a result of a security breach (from what I gather).

Taking a quote from the PHP group regarding their latest release "This is a maintenance release that in addition to over 30 non-critical bug fixes addresses several very serious security issues".

I know that new releases are for a reason; not only for security, but for bug fixes which ensure functions work as expected. This release in particular though relates to some serious security issues, so could I ask why you don't feel the need to keep PHP up to date?

Another host I use (paid for, however) upgraded their servers within 24 hours after I queried them about this new release.

Over the past couple of months or so, I've sent in a few support requests via your ticket system, some of which get answered, some which get sorted, while others do not.

I was quite disappointed that I could receive a response within an hour when I reported a dead link on freeola.com, or a quick reply claiming a security breach wasn't the result of the mass spam from an @addr address (an excuse which I'm sorry to say I don't believe), yet to this day a month old query still remains.

Regarding ticket 117484; I first posted this on the 19th of December, and received a reply on the 21st (a mere two days), which stated "We have found the problem and are rectifying it immediately.". Unfortunately, after a few more postings, this still has not been done.

It was a simple request that my domain (http://www.haignet.co.uk) work without the www. prefix. Doing so at the moment (http://haignet.co.uk) takes me to a Freeola 404 error page, which I would prefer didn't happen.

Another query asking about a possible PHP upgrade (point 2 above) resulted in what appeared to be a cut-and-paste sales pitch to try and get me to purchase one of your dedicated servers, rather than a simple "yes, we will" or "no, we won't because ..." reply which I was expecting.

Regarding point 1, would you consider allows users to mark up (an) email address(es) that are deemed the owner of the account (or otherwise of importance), so that emails from Freeola related to the account, domain names, etc, are only sent to the required address(es)?

For example, I have email addresses set up for web sites as well as family members, and these Freeola related emails don't really need to be sent to these addresses, only to myself. Being able to set it so I'll be the only one to receive these emails would be a welcome feature.

Also, would you be willing to consider building your support ticketing system into the forums / Freeola control panel, so that any queries and responses are accessible and viewable online, rather than just via email?

Again, this would be a welcome feature as I could reference past comments with ease, as well as not have to worry about a filled up folder on my home computer with scattered support emails. Another host (the same who I mentioned upgraded their PHP in a flash) have an online-based support system, which is fantastic.

I'm hoping that one of the higher-ups will take a look at this and add their comments.

Regards,

- Chris
Sat 12/02/05 at 14:36
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
cjh wrote:
> I was quite disappointed that I could receive a response within an
> hour when I reported a dead link on freeola.com, or a quick reply
> claiming a security breach wasn't the result of the mass spam from an
> @addr address (an excuse which I'm sorry to say I don't
> believe), yet to this day a month old query still remains.

Is that where all Freeola accounts were spammed, yet no other domains were? There was definitely something up with that, they won't just randomly search for domains hosted on Freeola and spam them with loads of emails to loads of random addresses. If someone had catch-all on then surely they'd receive millions and millions of emails?
Sat 12/02/05 at 15:18
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
phi11ip wrote:
> Is that where all Freeola accounts were spammed, yet no other
> domains were?

I can't speak for all Freeola account holders, but I know every address in my account was spammed all of a sudden, some of which have never been published, used or subscribed to any sort of mailing list.

I'd checked emails from another account which I haven't used for god knows how long, but only recently added the email addresses to it, and every address was filled with the same spam, all dated roughly the same (I can't remember the exact content and dates, but they all looked familiar).

Which now leads me to believe that there must have been some sort of breach, considering no other domain name or email address I own received such spam, and now I have the feeling that all those addresses are on their way to spam lists all over the web.

But, if what Freeola said was true, that it wasn't a breach but common scanning and guessing techniques, then pages like this ([URL]http://freeola.com/optional-extras/[/URL]) surely don't help, as they list recently purchased domain names - and easy target for automated scanning scripts, wouldn't you say?. Also, these recently purchased domain names, which haven't had their index pages added, also list other purchased domain names.
Sat 12/02/05 at 16:00
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Those pages won't cause any problems, they're probably better as they help the sites to get listed onto search engines in the first place. You can find almost any site via Google so that small list won't do much.

I think that Freeola haven't taken care of their security though. I know with Hotmail every email address combo possible is spammed as I was getting spam from the second I signed up, but I can't see why they'd spam random domains with every combo as there will only be a few email addresses. I get lots directed at info@ webmaster@ admin@ and sales@ but they're just the most common addresses that are used with domains. If they were to spam every combo on my domain, which hasn't happened yet, then I would receive millions of emails. Millions.
Sun 13/02/05 at 11:14
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
phi11ip wrote:
> Those pages won't cause any problems, they're probably better
> as they help the sites to get listed onto search engines in the
> first place.

Maybe, but I can't help feeling that a page like this could be an easy target for a potential spam bot looking for new domains, but then again, you make a good point.

> You can find almost any site via Google so that small list won't do
> much.

The thing is with Google (and other search engines), you have to key in terms to search for, as well as wait for them to index and rank each page, where as the page I mentioned just has them plonked there. I could easily set up a PHP cron script to check a page like that every day and scan for new domains, and add them to a domain list.

But, I think you're right and I may be over reacting a tad. The main reason for the spam example was simply to show that I could get a quick reply from Freeola customer services when it benefited them, whereas other queries seem to take a lot longer.
Sun 13/02/05 at 12:47
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
cjh wrote:
> Maybe, but I can't help feeling that a page like this could be an
> easy target for a potential spam bot looking for new domains, but
> then again, you make a good point.

Spammers dont need to trawl web pages to search for domains, there have been more effective ways to collect them for a long time. Given an IP address its not much of a problem to find all sites hosted on that server. DNS records are also a popular source. Its why you get the impression that ISPs are targeted, because if a spidering tool encounters a new domain, and starts looking it up, it soon can start deriving all the other domains that are associated (by IP/DNS) with it.
Tue 15/02/05 at 17:54
Regular
cjh - You've made a few good points here.

Today the FREEOLA status page has been updated with the following:

PROBLEMS WITH INCOMING E-MAIL
We are currently experiencing problems with one or more of our incoming mail servers. This is likely to delay messages and possibly prevent users from recieving them.

The last bit worries me! I've had a few emails go missing in the last couple of weeks - which hasn't helped me! It would be nice to know if the sender will receive an error if things have failed.

If someone from FREEOLA could answer here, that would be good - otherwise I'll have to use your Customer Service Form but most of my recent communications seem to have been lost...

"SOCKS,FREEOLA,UP" seems appropriate.
Tue 15/02/05 at 22:47
Regular
"Fruit makes you far"
Please do not post comments like this unless you are completely aware and confident of the integrity of the information that we are not privy to. In such cases, I'm sure, as a responsible user, you would want to assist us with our ongoing investigation into spam and not publicly rubbish us in a public forum.

Danny

phi11ip wrote:
> I think that Freeola haven't taken care of their security though. I
> know with Hotmail every email address combo possible is spammed as I
> was getting spam from the second I signed up, but I can't see why
> they'd spam random domains with every combo as there will only be a
> few email addresses. I get lots directed at info@ webmaster@ admin@
> and sales@ but they're just the most common addresses that are used
> with domains. If they were to spam every combo on my domain, which
> hasn't happened yet, then I would receive millions of emails.
> Millions.
Tue 15/02/05 at 23:01
Regular
"Fruit makes you far"
cjh wrote:
> I'm going to be honest; I didn't take to kindly to your method of
> mass mailing every single email address I have under my account.

We use a method of direct delivery that avoids the SMTP server bank - this is preferable for our technical partners but I will ask them to make sure that the messages are better formatted.

> 2.
> I've noted that Freeola customer web sites are still using PHP 4.3.7,

I will take this up with our technical guys.

> 3.
> Over the past couple of months or so, I've sent in a few support
> requests via your ticket system, some of which get answered, some
> which get sorted, while others do not.

It's no secret that an upturn in business has caused us problems keeping up. I have personally instructed our staff to treat our increasing amount of phone callers as maximum priority so this has resulted in a slow down in our online responses. We now have extra staff in place and will endeavour to meet our target of a 48 hour response. Please call if you require more urgent support.

> I was quite disappointed that I could receive a response within an
> hour when I reported a dead link on freeola.com, or a quick reply
> claiming a security breach wasn't the result of the mass spam from an
> @addr address (an excuse which I'm sorry to say I don't
> believe), yet to this day a month old query still remains.

We have answered you with what we believe to be correct and the situation is unchanged after extensive investigation, which is ongoing. Would it make you happier if I just lied completely and reported that we sold all our customer data for a fiver? You may like to know that a friend who registered a domain on 123reg received a spam exactly 41 hours after registering the domain so please don't assume that targetted spam only affects Freeola in the entire internet community.

> Regarding ticket 117484; I first posted this on the 19th of

I've asked a supervisor to deal with this in 24 hours. Please post back if it is not fixed to your requirements.

> Another query asking about a possible PHP upgrade (point 2 above)
> resulted in what appeared to be a cut-and-paste sales pitch to try
> and get me to purchase one of your dedicated servers, rather than a
> simple "yes, we will" or "no, we won't because
> ..." reply which I was expecting.

Yes, an inappropriate reply and I apologise for the lack of clear response.

> 4.
> Regarding point 1, would you consider allows users to mark up (an)
> email address(es) that are deemed the owner of the account (or
> otherwise of importance), so that emails from Freeola related to the
> account, domain names, etc, are only sent to the required
> address(es)?

This is not something we can consider at the moment due to development pressures but thank you for suggesting it. It could well be a future enhancement.

> I'm hoping that one of the higher-ups will take a look at this and
> add their comments.

The higher-up has looked at it and has done his best to respond. I will help where possible and grab time on here as time allows (see time of posting if you don't think I'm busy).

> Regards,
>
> - Chris
Tue 15/02/05 at 23:06
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Cool, thanks for that.

I have to admit I wasn't really aware of an increase in business, so a fair reason for a suddun slow down in response times. Most of my tickets aren't what I'd call priority, which is why I don't try and tie up the phone line for little things.

Also, regarding the spam, I may have jumped the gun a little, but again, you've got to look at that from a customers point of view. A sudden surge of spam doesn't sit well with anybody, and the company who's responsible for an individuals email will always be the one's to blame from the outset.

Finally, being the higher-up you claim to be, has one of your support staff passed on my suggestion for an opt-out option on domain registration and renewal forms?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.