GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I got the wierdest bit of advertising from Sony today!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 19/05/01 at 14:04
Regular
It was disguised as a Pen Pal letter from a 14 year old Italian saying he was my biggest fan and that I had to win the F1 comp for him, it also came with what is supposed to be a page ripped out of a magazine. It's got an interview with Jenson Button who completed a lap on the Spa circuit in 1:55:17 secs. You have to try out this lap and post your scores highest ones get taken to Silverstone for the UK Final, against J Button himself, and the winner gets taken to Indianapolis 500 for the World final.
Wed 30/05/01 at 20:44
Regular
"Top Gun"
i got it to

here is a link to it, i scanned it in,

http://sd3o.hypermart.net/weird.jpg
Wed 30/05/01 at 17:55
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Haha!
Wed 30/05/01 at 13:08
Regular
Lol at wookie
Wed 30/05/01 at 13:02
Well I guess you know how to spot a mail bomb don't you Wookie (haha)
Hey at least someone is taking note of what they are opening
Tue 29/05/01 at 13:53
"High polygon count"
One of the tabloid comics ran a very small article on this over the weekend.

Apparently Sony had a large number of complaints about it, mostly from the parents of kids who received the mailing. Makes you wonder just how daft some people are.

While it was a very clever and well executed advertising campaign, here's "Wookiee's 5-Step Guide to Realising it was an Advertisement" - in reverse order of 'obviousness':

5. The edge of the 'torn out' magazine page was obviously cut and not ripped.

4. It was supposedly torn from a notepad, but the tear-off at the top was cut perfectly.

3. The letter was clearly not hand-written as there were no indentations on the paper.

2. It had a UK return address.

And the number one reason that any half-wit should have known it wasn't genuine is...

1. It was an air-mail envelope, received in the UK... with a UK 1st-class stamp.
Wed 23/05/01 at 19:03
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
M16 wrote:

I got the letter yesterday...is it legal to do it?

I got the letter as well although I don't see what the problem is with legality....it's only a bit clever marketing, very well put together I thought.

I went to the website and noticed that the release date for F1 2001 for the PS2 is the 23rd May which is today, although SR, EB, Game etc have all said the 25th.

Did anyone else notice this?
Wed 23/05/01 at 18:41
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Bonus wrote:
> It was disguised as a Pen Pal letter from a 14 year old Italian
> saying he was my biggest fan and that I had to win the F1 comp for
> him, it also came with what is supposed to be a page ripped out of a
> magazine. It's got an interview with Jenson Button who completed a
> lap on the Spa circuit in 1:55:17 secs. You have to try out this
> lap and post your scores highest ones get taken to Silverstone for
> the UK Final, against J Button himself, and the winner gets taken to
> Indianapolis 500 for the World final.

Im glad I wasn't teh only one who got this!!

I got the letter yesterday...is it legal to do it?

They have gove to a great deal just to try and sell a game, haven't they!

I don't think it was Sony's idea, but GAME's.
Mon 21/05/01 at 11:36
Regular
I've had it pre-ordered from, ahem Game ahem.
Sun 20/05/01 at 23:05
Haven't you got your game yet? I got mine yesterday and was very surprised that SR had sent it to me a week early!!
We are talking about Formula One 2001 made by Sony's Studio Liverpool aren't we?
Good.
I havent tryed to beat that time yet, but there's no point because the site to post them on isn't up and running yet.
Sun 20/05/01 at 19:04
Regular
double weird

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.