GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"2gb RAM Questions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/02/05 at 22:10
"Uzi Lover"
I currently have 1gb of RAM in my system, which is enough. However, I had a bit of spare dosh and splashed out on another stick of 1gb RAM which I saw running cheaper then usual.

I was just wondering if I will encounter any problems running my system with this amount of RAM?

I recently done a system check using Sandra lite and apparently I don't have enough room for more RAM. However, ASUS website states the motherboard has enough for 4gb. I've took a look inside, there are two more slots which are different colours. I'm using a ASUS A8V-Deluxe motherboard, if that is any help.

Is it just as simple as Plug in and go? Or erm, is it healthy?
Thu 24/02/05 at 15:54
Regular
"object"
you could have 2 ram slots and they say you can have 4 gigabytes if you use 2, 2 gigabyte memory sticks
Fri 18/02/05 at 08:50
Regular
"NULL"
tigamilla wrote:
> Got lucky but have to face them at tomorrows (todays) 10:15

Them? Good effort!
Fri 18/02/05 at 03:02
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Nimco wrote:
> Thank you Uncle Biggles. I got me my first book about anything web
> related today. Until now, I'd never had any programming books or
> anything of the kind - I got "PHP & MySQL - Web
> Development" so now I can become a God (or not!)...

Thats such an awesome book!! (flexes unused web development muscle) Nimco, you should have come to the surfers party - Langwith style - never seen so many loose women!! Got lucky but have to face them at tomorrows (todays) 10:15 :-( oh dear <- I do mean that dearly...
Thu 17/02/05 at 23:06
"Uzi Lover"
Back on topic...urmmmmmm....help?

Please...?

I got a 1gb stick of RAM here doing nothing. So if someone could help me set this up to run at 2gb I would be ever so grateful.
Thu 17/02/05 at 22:28
Regular
"NULL"
Thank you Uncle Biggles. I got me my first book about anything web related today. Until now, I'd never had any programming books or anything of the kind - I got "PHP & MySQL - Web Development" so now I can become a God (or not!)...
Thu 17/02/05 at 22:09
"I love yo... lamp."
You can get a stay of execution since I know nothing about... PHP for instance. :-D
Thu 17/02/05 at 22:03
Regular
"NULL"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> *clicks ignore*

That's what I get for trying to answer a question I know nothing about. Ooops.
Thu 17/02/05 at 21:59
"I love yo... lamp."
*clicks ignore*

There are two "things" to RAM. Frequency, as in the FSB speed, normally 166 or 200 MHz nowadays. Then there is RAM timings, which are things like 2.5,3,3,8 or whatever. The timings are things like how many clock cycles before the RAM responds to a signal, how long to refresh etc. Hence as a rule lower is better (apart form on nForce 2 boards where maximum bandwidth is found with the last of those 4 digits set to 11, but that's an anomaly).

Now the FSB speed can be altered in the BIOS easily. However often in the advanced section of the BIOS it will allow to change the timings. It may be between normal, overclocked and turbo or it may allow you to set them yourself.

Something worth noting is that with relaxed timings RAM can run at higher frequencies. RAM that can only do 166 MHz or so at a CAS latency (the first of those four timing digits) of 2 may be able to do 200 MHz with a CAS latency of 3.

But I'd rather just raise the RAM voltage before I loosen timings. One thing that also has to be said is that timings are for all sticks in a board, so if you have some great RAM and some crappy RAM then having loose timings on the crappy RAM will hamper the performance of the great RAM.
Thu 17/02/05 at 21:56
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
You can change timings in the BIOS.
Thu 17/02/05 at 21:44
Regular
"NULL"
They're not RAM timings, that's the frequency of the RAM. The timings are the CAS thingys I think - eg. 2-2-2-5 or whatever. The frequency can sometimes be changed.

If I'm wrong, ignore me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.