GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The crappiness of American horror..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/02/05 at 21:25
Regular
"Prefers Tesis"
It really does seem that any horror movie directors have simply given up. Their is no longer any originality and all the latest 'horror' movies are basically the same. Characters are the biggest problem. These are a classic bunch of 'characters' and I use the term loosely:

the horny couple who can't stop kissing and flirting with eachother.

The mature, rational couple.

the ugly weed smoker, possibly the driver.

these incredibly deep characters can be found in many delightful films such as cabin fever, wrong turn and tcm 2003. It really is a load of ass. By the way I only saw cabin fever on saturday. I didn't bother watching it all though as once the usual dull characters became apparent I turned off.

Some please tell me that SAW is good?
Thu 10/02/05 at 09:17
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Speaking of American horror, "Constantine" is looking damn promising, even with the nationality change of the lead character.

[URL]http://www.maximonline.com/entertainment/features/constantine/[/URL] Exclusive clip there, that looks as if it's captured the feel of the earlier comics perfectly.

[edit]And Constantine himself is a million miles away from the standard cliched characters. He's a b'stard, plain and simple.
Thu 10/02/05 at 00:02
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Green Ferocity wrote:
> Its not like I'm expecting character development. Just not so many of
> the 'oh I wonder whats down that dark alley' type of thing. The
> characters aren't real and I've seen it in a million horror movie
> before.

I suppose it's down to what you look for in a movie. I didn't expect well rounded characters in the “Chainsaw” remake and frankly didn't want any. I just went to see some moronic American teens get massacred with a chainsaw, and was pleased that there was much massacring done.

Pandaemonium wrote:
> Best horror movie ever made IMHO, and still freaks me out even
> after seeing it a multitude of times.

Cannot disagree there. Great special effect, but an even greater bunch of character who you never quite fully trust, even the main protagonist. Oh, and John Carpenter score really does send a shiver down my spine every time it starts up.
Wed 09/02/05 at 16:39
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
You have of course seen "The Thing" green haven't you?

Best horror movie ever made IMHO, and still freaks me out even after seeing it a multitude of times.
Wed 09/02/05 at 16:24
Regular
Cabin Fever didn't have any "ooooh what's down that dark alley" moments. I'd actually say that's one of the more original Horror films to come out of the States in a long while.

The characters were quite cliched but that's pretty much where the cliches ended.

*SPOILER*

I enjoyed the film a lot up until the ending, if it had ended at the point where the main guy dies then it would have been a hell of a lot better. Instead the director went too far with the jokey stuff and kinda spoiled the film for me.

Still worth a watch though.
Wed 09/02/05 at 16:15
Regular
"Prefers Tesis"
cipro wrote:
> Who goes to watch a movie called "The Texas Chiansaw
> Massacre" expecting deep character development?

Its not like I'm expecting character development. Just not so many of the 'oh I wonder whats down that dark alley' type of thing. The characters aren't real and I've seen it in a million horror movie before.

Also I did realise that cabin fever was slightly satirical, it still annoyed me though. What am I meant to think. Oh this is clever. It was really just another way of filling the void where the reality should be in these dull characters.

Also the characters in tcm 2003 were cliched but I didn't mind the film as a whole.
Wed 09/02/05 at 14:43
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Who goes to watch a movie called "The Texas Chiansaw Massacre" expecting deep character development?
Wed 09/02/05 at 12:14
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Go buy Near Dark, it's on sale so there's really no need.
Best vampire film ever, full stop.
Or any pre-Mouth of Madness John Carpenter movies.
Wed 09/02/05 at 11:17
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
"Saw" was the pikey film with Danny Glover, right? That was quite good - saw it at the cinema, which is quite amazing because it was so low budget. "Dead End" is quite good too. Or is it "Wrong Turn"? Which one had the car that was on the same road for ages?
Wed 09/02/05 at 11:11
Regular
I loved Ginger Snaps, one of my personal favourites actually.

I do have a strong stomach for bad horror films though, I think I could pretty much enjoy any horror film no matter how rubbish it was.
Tue 08/02/05 at 22:37
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
RoJ wrote:
> God, I hated Ginger Snaps. Only seen the first one though.

Good use of lycanthropy as a metaphor for entering puberty, average movie IMHO.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.