GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The crappiness of American horror..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/02/05 at 21:25
Regular
"Prefers Tesis"
It really does seem that any horror movie directors have simply given up. Their is no longer any originality and all the latest 'horror' movies are basically the same. Characters are the biggest problem. These are a classic bunch of 'characters' and I use the term loosely:

the horny couple who can't stop kissing and flirting with eachother.

The mature, rational couple.

the ugly weed smoker, possibly the driver.

these incredibly deep characters can be found in many delightful films such as cabin fever, wrong turn and tcm 2003. It really is a load of ass. By the way I only saw cabin fever on saturday. I didn't bother watching it all though as once the usual dull characters became apparent I turned off.

Some please tell me that SAW is good?
Tue 08/02/05 at 21:25
Regular
"Prefers Tesis"
It really does seem that any horror movie directors have simply given up. Their is no longer any originality and all the latest 'horror' movies are basically the same. Characters are the biggest problem. These are a classic bunch of 'characters' and I use the term loosely:

the horny couple who can't stop kissing and flirting with eachother.

The mature, rational couple.

the ugly weed smoker, possibly the driver.

these incredibly deep characters can be found in many delightful films such as cabin fever, wrong turn and tcm 2003. It really is a load of ass. By the way I only saw cabin fever on saturday. I didn't bother watching it all though as once the usual dull characters became apparent I turned off.

Some please tell me that SAW is good?
Tue 08/02/05 at 21:44
Regular
"tall skinny latte"
I know someone who loves Saw and says it's her favourite film. *pfft*
Tue 08/02/05 at 21:45
Regular
"Prefers Tesis"
I've read a couple of reviews, its meant to start off ok and then grow lame! Rental me thinks.
Tue 08/02/05 at 21:56
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
There's a hell of a lot of promising indy flicks being made, but most will suffer from lack of budget.

To be honest though, American horror is marred by the cliched characters as you say, but Japanese horror seems to be revolving around creepy kids at the moment. Not all, but most.

Try the Swedish "Funny Games". It's old, but extrodinarily uncomfortable to watch.

Oh, avoid the British "Creep". It sucks. Big time.
Tue 08/02/05 at 22:00
Regular
It's horror though, it's never meant to have in depth character studies or amazing storylines.

Aren't you the one who was raving about Deodato and Fulci films?

They feature some of the most cliched and unbelievably lifeless characters in any films I've ever seen. It's the same with the majority of Asian horror, but just because it's got subtitles people believe it to somehow be on a higher plain to American horror.

Take the films for what they are and they're good if a little mindless entertainment.
Tue 08/02/05 at 22:04
Regular
"The definitive tag"
American horror has become unbareable. The main reason for this is that it has been mixed with the lame American teen movie genre which has become very stale and extremely annoying. Look at a lot of American horror films from the past decade or so. I know What You Did Last Summer, The Faculty, Final Destination. All full of annoying American teens. The only one I can make an exception with is Scream. Although still terrible, it was an original idea, but because so many more horror/teen movie efforts have been made since Scream, it now looks as bad as they do.
Tue 08/02/05 at 22:08
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Token Black Man that usually dies a horrific death.
OR
Funny black man that doesn't die.
Tue 08/02/05 at 22:11
Regular
Check out Dead End for an excellent and original American horror film.

Oh and the Ginger Snaps trilogy is another example of excellent and original Horror....even though they're Canadian.
Tue 08/02/05 at 22:15
Regular
"Not a Jew"
God, I hated Ginger Snaps. Only seen the first one though.
Tue 08/02/05 at 22:36
Regular
You are aware that Cabin Fever is poking fun at the traditions of horror, it's a slight satire on horror traditions?

I see that went right over your head.

And Saw was pretty good. Acting was lame but you felt for the characters because it was a character driven thing.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.