GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
" How can I get my website seen?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/02/05 at 22:32
Regular
"back of the fridge!"
Hi there, I have just finished creating my very first website but have absolutely no idea how to get it seen by people. I have told my friends about it and hopefully it will get seen by at least a few people that way, but other than that what can I do?

The website itself is very small and simple at the moment, containing just a few pages concerning methods of making a little bit of extra cash via the internet.

I don't know if this is against forum rules or anything but the address is http://stevewaller.50megs.com feel free to take a look if you want (no pressure to of course) as I would be happy to receive any feedback.

Cheers!
Thu 10/02/05 at 12:44
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Even better, the site I made my mate is number one!

[URL]http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=threecircles&meta=[/URL]

That's only from typing in the company name though, not what they do, so I suppose that's pretty pointless.
Thu 10/02/05 at 12:39
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Heh: [URL]http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=pocketmonkey&meta=[/URL]

3rd, and I haven't updated it for about 4 months now! I've got BIG plans for Pocketmonkey, which might actually prove useful.

EDIT: Just looked at the source. Ouch.
Thu 10/02/05 at 00:23
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
monkey_man wrote:
> This conversation is quite relevant to something I've come across
> lately: a client stalling writing a cheque because his website hasn't
> appeared on Google yet. The site was finished about 1 month ago, and
> has had about 300 unique visitors in that time. Haven't read many of
> the replies, but I was under the impression that Google only update
> their searchable data once a month? This could be why, maybe. The
> site has plenty of relevant meta tags, right near the top. I've
> coded it as well as I can (without much CSS for layouts), so I don't
> think that's the problem.
>
> This is the site: [URL]http://www.snow-walker.co.uk[/URL]
>
> Not the greatest in the World, and I really, really want to remove
> that ghastly menu - I'm pretty sure I can do better than that. Are
> the metas ok? Is it likely to appear on Google soon? Stupid
> clients...why can't I get paid for playing in Photoshop all day
> long?
>
> Oh, and I've read up on the Google technology section about
> dynamically generated sites, and I should be fine (they do index
> them, but not as much). The content is all from the database/CMS,
> except for the meta tags, which are 'hard-coded', so it covers both
> requirements for content.

From another post I made but relevent:
----------------------------------------
Worked for a while with Google when I was at Blackwell, with how they index pages (specifically in the academic publishing sector) and discovered they index the top 50 or so lines in any page which is useless when most academics are interested in footnotes and bibliographies, which tend to be at the bottom.

The obvious answer (apart from purchasing a Google box and developing your own custom feed into Google) was to use CSS to place them at the bottom of the page visually but at the top of the page, code wise.
----------------------------------------

Looking at that site monkey, the content doesn't start until about 50 odd lines in!! There's nothing really there for Google to take interest in other than the META. This does have a negative effect with Google and even more surprising, Google no longer weights META tags as heavy as it used to due to being open to abuse.

My own site only ranks 13th in Google and that was with no effort whatsoever! (And no content, lol)

[URL]http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Digital-Prozac&hl=en&lr=&start=10&sa=N[/URL] Page 2, 3rd down.

My current client: Blagrove Fleet, rank 3rd over all. Site has only been in existence since November 11th 2004 with next to no META as it's all to do with the content being indexed and the structure of the site.

Did a quick search for Snow Walker Associates, and nothing there in the first 4 pages (gave up after that).

Google indexes other stuff too such as Alt's, Titles, Sturctured mark-up such as H1, H2, Strong, EM etc as these all carry a specific meaning in HTML which is relevent to Google, hence the sudden adoption of CSS/Standards/Semantic mark-up in SEO.

Personally, I'd return to the client, and unless they stated they wanted the site to include SEO, then tuff as it was outside the brief. If they want full SEO, then it will cost them extra (Good old phase2!).

On a side note on the withholding of payment. Give the 28 days, and if no luck, pull the plug because untill they pay, the work/code/design is still yours and belongs to you and therefore can do with as you see fit.
Wed 09/02/05 at 21:59
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
This conversation is quite relevant to something I've come across lately: a client stalling writing a cheque because his website hasn't appeared on Google yet. The site was finished about 1 month ago, and has had about 300 unique visitors in that time. Haven't read many of the replies, but I was under the impression that Google only update their searchable data once a month? This could be why, maybe. The site has plenty of relevant meta tags, right near the top. I've coded it as well as I can (without much CSS for layouts), so I don't think that's the problem.

This is the site: [URL]http://www.snow-walker.co.uk[/URL]

Not the greatest in the World, and I really, really want to remove that ghastly menu - I'm pretty sure I can do better than that. Are the metas ok? Is it likely to appear on Google soon? Stupid clients...why can't I get paid for playing in Photoshop all day long?

Oh, and I've read up on the Google technology section about dynamically generated sites, and I should be fine (they do index them, but not as much). The content is all from the database/CMS, except for the meta tags, which are 'hard-coded', so it covers both requirements for content.
Wed 09/02/05 at 18:59
Regular
"-_-"
ok to make people revisit your site try to get untitled off the top of each page :D
And crossbob weve all seen your site quit advertising.
Tue 08/02/05 at 14:09
Regular
"go to sleep..."
you should try getting your site on google ads, but it has to be a pretty good site, you have to display some links just go to google and look for google ads, you'll also get some income for your site prob not much though unless you had thousands of hits every week. Your application will probably take quite a while to process if it gets denied just try it again when your website is better i think you'll have e-mail them the second time round, you also have to sign up as well, you may have to fill and and fax a form a two shouldn't take long if your in the uk and dont have a server in the us then it should be ok.
They will send you the code via e-mail and youll be able to copy and paste the code from the user bit on google ads website.

you could also try hit exchange stuff if that's your type of thing tried it on some tests sites worked fine, also long as you went for one with a 1:1 ratio. just look for hit exchange sites on google there are trillions of em, be carefull when signing up tho just create a new e-mail addy just for that sort of thing and dont go for any of the popup ones.

google also have other add programmes called adwords just look for google adwords, they work quite well but only if you put the code in exactly right and qet about a dozen or so hits every so often, it'll explain it on the website can't remember the add though soz.
Mon 07/02/05 at 21:47
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Immediate fixes needed:

Meta data
Alt tags (Google, MSN and Yahho index these)
Clean up the mark-up
Remove uneeded code such as comments
Title would be a good starting point

Long term

Swith to full xHTML/CSS and totally seperate all style/layout from markup. This way you can position the content where you want it using CSS but have it laifd out in the code how you want a search engine to read it.
Mon 07/02/05 at 18:31
Regular
"Pwned"
hooves wrote:
> Thanks for the advice, have submitted my URL to a number of search
> engines, so lets hope it works. Said it would take a while to
> actually get listed though...

Try using meta tags as well, all of the search engines will come across your site sooner or later if you use meta tags.

Edit these tags and copy them into your html code for your website:

Also, submit your site to www.dmoz.org for free, it's the biggest internet search directory there is, and all the main search engines use it, like google. Good luck.
Mon 07/02/05 at 12:46
Regular
"back of the fridge!"
Thanks for the advice, have submitted my URL to a number of search engines, so lets hope it works. Said it would take a while to actually get listed though...
Mon 07/02/05 at 09:49
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> He's deadly serious about it.

I was afraid of that

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.