GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"IE better at stopping phishing than FF"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/10/09 at 12:50
"Are you sure?"
Just thought I would test IE and FF using a dodgy phishing email I've come across.

The email was pretending to come from Natwest asking the recipient to login to read their latest online statement.

Looking at the source, the login link was actually:
DODGY PHISHING SITE:
www.justbecomplex.com/catalog/images/GOODS/Login.php

WARNING: This is a fake site - take care if you visit it !!!

EDIT: I've had to insert a space before 'Login.php' in the address above for Freeola's forum s/w to allow me to post. Shame as I wanted to get the full correct URL in there for anyone that may search for it.

IE7 my normal everyday browser picked this up instantly as a phishing attempt:

"Internet Explorer has determined that this is a reported phishing website. Phishing websites impersonate other sites and attempt to trick you into revealing personal or financial information."

Going to the same address in FireFox (version 3.5.3 with all security options turned on) worryingly displayed the fake page without any warnings!
All the rest of the webpage looks pretty legit.

You don't have to go far to see people rubbishing Microsoft's IE often unfairly - this looks like another reason not to knock them to me!

Perhaps as the IE userbase is so big there is more chance that dodgy sites get reported.
NB. I noticed that removing the www allows IE to also display the page - so I using the phishing controls to report that version of the URL!

Also you would think Natwest in this case would stop third-party webistes 'hotlinking' to their official graphics to make things a little harder to do!

Keep 'em peeled...!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 07/10/09 at 13:19
"Are you sure?"
I didn't know that - but where do Google get them from...?

EDIT:
http://code.google.com/apis/safebrowsing/firefox3_privacy.html
Wed 07/10/09 at 13:17
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Just to point out, FF gets its phishing data from Google.
Wed 07/10/09 at 13:16
"Are you sure?"
FF is blocking/warning me now as well!

This email is doing the rounds today so it looks like FF must be getting phishing reports in and have taken some action.

Either that or they read the Freeola Chat Forums!

NB. Thanks for fixing the 50 chars limit on the URL.
Any chance you could either increase this permanently or trust us old timers?

Do you know why you have a limit? I can't see it's much of an abuse?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 07/10/09 at 13:04
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Hmmm... wrote:
> EDIT: I've had to insert a space before 'Login.php' in the
> address above for Freeola's forum s/w to allow me to post. Shame
> as I wanted to get the full correct URL in there for anyone that
> may search for it.

Fixed :)
Wed 07/10/09 at 13:02
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Just checked my own Firefox installation and a colleagues and we both get thefollowing message:

'Reported Web Forgery!

This web site at www.justbecomplex.com has been reported as a web forgery and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Web forgeries are designed to trick you into revealing personal or financial information by imitating sources you may trust.

Entering any information on this web page may result in identity theft or other fraud.'

To view the page, you have to allow access. Firefox 3.5.3, this said, I do have some plugins installed...
Wed 07/10/09 at 12:50
"Are you sure?"
Just thought I would test IE and FF using a dodgy phishing email I've come across.

The email was pretending to come from Natwest asking the recipient to login to read their latest online statement.

Looking at the source, the login link was actually:
DODGY PHISHING SITE:
www.justbecomplex.com/catalog/images/GOODS/Login.php

WARNING: This is a fake site - take care if you visit it !!!

EDIT: I've had to insert a space before 'Login.php' in the address above for Freeola's forum s/w to allow me to post. Shame as I wanted to get the full correct URL in there for anyone that may search for it.

IE7 my normal everyday browser picked this up instantly as a phishing attempt:

"Internet Explorer has determined that this is a reported phishing website. Phishing websites impersonate other sites and attempt to trick you into revealing personal or financial information."

Going to the same address in FireFox (version 3.5.3 with all security options turned on) worryingly displayed the fake page without any warnings!
All the rest of the webpage looks pretty legit.

You don't have to go far to see people rubbishing Microsoft's IE often unfairly - this looks like another reason not to knock them to me!

Perhaps as the IE userbase is so big there is more chance that dodgy sites get reported.
NB. I noticed that removing the www allows IE to also display the page - so I using the phishing controls to report that version of the URL!

Also you would think Natwest in this case would stop third-party webistes 'hotlinking' to their official graphics to make things a little harder to do!

Keep 'em peeled...!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.