GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You've got to laugh..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/05/01 at 17:54
Regular
About the X-Box.

"There were also indications that the hardware is not entirely stable yet - a crash during Nightcaster revealed a familiar looking PC boot screen, and a Microsoft representative explained that the memory configuration on the floor models was different than that of the final version."

For those unable to read paragraphs more than 3 lines thick:

The X-Box crashed.
Sat 19/05/01 at 13:40
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
IBM PC were, far and away, the most popular computers for years before Windows was released...

Although thers a lot to be said about complete systems such as Macs...

The PC's open architecture is probably its strongest point.

Because you can stick in whatever graphics card, sound card, monitor, keyboard you need for the job, its valuable for a wider range of apps than any other computer.

Its important to remeber that although the PC was deisgned as a general purpose machine, its use was intended primarily for business, professional and technical use...

The Mac on the other hand was developed primarily for users... Its ease of use and closed user design was/is second to none.
Sat 19/05/01 at 13:39
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
turbonutter wrote:
> Linux is free. And for £700 you can get a mac which is far
> more powerful that a PC

lol... no its not
Sat 19/05/01 at 12:13
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Linux is free. And for £700 you can get a mac which is far more powerful that a PC
Sat 19/05/01 at 12:08
Windows is not the best platform around, unfortunately the PC is the cheapest platform around. Thats why we use it!
Sat 19/05/01 at 12:07
WinME rules.. I love them BSOD's. Class!
Sat 19/05/01 at 11:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Shut up. Microsoft think they can release buggy software and get away with it. My Mum has just bought a BRAND NEW Win ME PC, which promtly crashed after 2 hours without installing anything
Sat 19/05/01 at 10:41
"possibly impossible"
Ant is partially right, without Windows the PC wouldn't be as popular. "Sure," you might say, "someone else could have come up with a better system first." but they wouldn't have had the marketing knowledge and gumph to actually sell the thing in the way that Bill did.

Windows does a pretty good job if you don't install lots of third party add-ins, remembering that it has to be a multi-format piece of software as no two PCs are alike. The problems arise when all the extra bits and pieces are installed, causing conflicts, not always Microsoft's fault. The Mac is a single piece of hardware by one company with one set of components in, so of course the software (written in-house, I believe) is going to be more stable. Linux is more stable, too, because it has less add-ins and isn't as complicated. Windows perhaps tries too many things, but at least it tries to support everything.

Sure, it's so easy to put someone down because they had a vision and made lots of money from it, and, yes, Microsoft do go a bit over the top at times, but don't put Bill Gates down because he had good business sense and now has more money that most people can dream of.
Sat 19/05/01 at 10:13
Regular
my ps2 has crashed and if i play on it two long like 4 hours the sound goes
Sat 19/05/01 at 09:45
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Linux sucks... Unix is the best.
Sat 19/05/01 at 01:01
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Ant wrote:
> Well, Windows has worked fine for me.....

ANT, you are an ingnorant git. Windows is so popular because the nation, ney, world is brainwashed into thinking it's the Bee's Knees, and that crashing PCs are just a fact of life.

If you've every worked with Linux on exactly the same machine as a Windows one, you will see Linux is twice as fast and never crashes. No joke. Same with Mac OS.

I hate people like you. No offence, but you are just uninitiated. Now you know.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.