GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Using PayPal to accept credit card payments."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/02/05 at 15:43
Regular
Has anyone here had any experience using PayPal as a means of accepting credit card payments on a website?

I must admit I've never used PayPal to buy anything myself - I'm looking for an easy way to accept CC's without applying for an Internet Merchant Account (which is an expensive minefield).

Thanks.
Wed 16/02/05 at 15:01
"High polygon count"
PayPal CAN be an absolute nightmare if things go wrong, particularly with regard to eBay transactions.

You only have to look at the eBay.co.uk Q&A forums to see how many sellers get ripped off on a weekly basis because of dodgy buyers and chargebacks.

Personally I've had no problems... yet. But then, no one ever does until the first time!
Fri 04/02/05 at 09:04
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Nimco wrote:
> When they verified mine, they actually put money in my account -
> £0.09 if I remember correctly! I had to type in this amount
> online as proof.

Just going through that process now...
Fri 04/02/05 at 01:12
Regular
"8==="
Have only heard of Paypal so that's the method I'd trust over NoChex and the other one mentioned.

I've used Paypal on a few occasions to accept payments and have never had a problem.
Thu 03/02/05 at 21:43
Regular
"NULL"
When they verified mine, they actually put money in my account - £0.09 if I remember correctly! I had to type in this amount online as proof.
Thu 03/02/05 at 19:40
Regular
If I recall when I set up my account I had verify it and they debited a few dollars from my account, this was a worry at the time as I was new to the whole idea of spending money online! the few dollars they debit from you is returned when you VERIFY your account so in effect its free to set up and use how ever there are fees to pay when you use paypal but they are well listed on the paypal site.

Kev

Miserableman wrote:
> If I recall correctly, if you want to use Paypal in any significant
> fashion you have to register, which costs a nominal amount (about a
> tenner, I think). I believe this is for paypal to verify your name,
> address and bank details. Without it you can only make payments up to
> a certain limit, although I'm not sure how this affects payments
> coming in. I'm a bit fuzzy on exactly how paypal works and exactly
> what I had to do to get it to work, so mix this advice with 2
> teaspoonfuls of "he doesn't know what he's talking about"
> sauce and cook for 20 minutes.
>
> Gas mark 5.
Thu 03/02/05 at 19:35
Regular
I use Paypal to accept payments from selling things on EBay I have not had any trouble with accepting payments or making payments, the fees are in line with other simmilar services and would say that you have nothing to loose from trying the service out.

Kev

GWD wrote:
> Garin wrote:
> Yes.
> Answer your question ok? :P
>
> You might look at offering a range of payment methods, eg
> nochex.com,
> as some people dont trust paypal at all.
>
> So in your experience did/does it work ok for you?
>
> "dont trust paypal" - that's part of the problem! But in my
> opinion Nochex look an even worse option. At least paypal provide a
> 'phone number for Customer Service, Nochex look abit underground to
> me.
>
> I believe you can now also buy using PayPal without signing up for an
> account which is a benefit.
Thu 03/02/05 at 17:15
Regular
"NULL"
You do have to do the verification to be allowed certain functions, but you don't have to pay for it. They verify bank details, phone number (by phoning you and giving you a code to put on the website!!) and something else as well.
Thu 03/02/05 at 12:04
Regular
"bing bang bong"
If I recall correctly, if you want to use Paypal in any significant fashion you have to register, which costs a nominal amount (about a tenner, I think). I believe this is for paypal to verify your name, address and bank details. Without it you can only make payments up to a certain limit, although I'm not sure how this affects payments coming in. I'm a bit fuzzy on exactly how paypal works and exactly what I had to do to get it to work, so mix this advice with 2 teaspoonfuls of "he doesn't know what he's talking about" sauce and cook for 20 minutes.

Gas mark 5.
Thu 03/02/05 at 09:54
Regular
"NULL"
I'm hoping to use it on a site I'm working on because of the lack of start-up fee, though the commission levels are quite high.

A site I'm doing for a client is probably going to use WorldPay however.
Thu 03/02/05 at 09:24
Regular
Tyla wrote:
> WorldPay is a good alternative and is in partnership with the HSBC
> iirc.

Thanks - Worldpay Set Up charges etc. are quite high. I want to give PayPal a try (as there are no set up charges or integration charges) but I thought I would see if anyone had any personal experience with it first.

I was aware of the paypalsucks site but any large company has it's knockers - BT Sucks, NWB Sucks, MS sucks, but it doesn't mean it won't work. $48 Million a day goes through PayPal so I guess it's working for some people.

As a no cost eCommerce startup It seems worth a go...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.