GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lost in Translation"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 30/01/05 at 21:15
Regular
Hm.

I really really wanted to enjoy this. The first 40 minutes bored me senseless, then Peter Venkman starts talking to the girl and it gets a bit more interesting.

Then.. no, still boring. And an ending I was praying against happening.

Bill Murray was pretty cool, but he was the absolute centrepiece of the entire film, and that on it's own was rubbish.

It wasn't clever, it was hardly funny, it was just two people that met. Generally I expect films I watch to be more exciting than my average day. Mongloid that I am, I could go out and film myself for a day and still triple the amount of insight and humanity that was in that damn movie.

Japan people speak so funny.

I'm so lonely, let's look out a window.
Sun 30/01/05 at 21:15
Regular
Hm.

I really really wanted to enjoy this. The first 40 minutes bored me senseless, then Peter Venkman starts talking to the girl and it gets a bit more interesting.

Then.. no, still boring. And an ending I was praying against happening.

Bill Murray was pretty cool, but he was the absolute centrepiece of the entire film, and that on it's own was rubbish.

It wasn't clever, it was hardly funny, it was just two people that met. Generally I expect films I watch to be more exciting than my average day. Mongloid that I am, I could go out and film myself for a day and still triple the amount of insight and humanity that was in that damn movie.

Japan people speak so funny.

I'm so lonely, let's look out a window.
Sun 30/01/05 at 21:17
Regular
"Not a Jew"
It was horrible, one of the only films I have ever considered leaving the cinema in.
Sun 30/01/05 at 21:21
Regular
It's my least favourite film ever, maybe.

"hey lip my stocking"

"yo yo yo, I'm "lost" (gettit??), I'm going to look out of this here window 15 times per scene"
"DO SOMETHING"
"okay we'll go run through this arcade!"
"no not that!...oh forget it..."
Sun 30/01/05 at 21:47
Regular
Just in case EVERYONE here hates it, here's the review from imdb.com

Which I will now attack.

To all those that have written negative reviews, are you all die-hard/Disney/sci-fi addicts? Does a film not qualify to be appreciated if it does not contain explosions, guns, huge CGI effects, rampant sex ? Sit down, clear your mind, and re-watch this film, it is a truly stunning cinematic experience. The crucial word in all this is SUBTLETY.

No, this was tripe. If you want a visually stunning and subtle film without explosions, sex and so forth, watch Koyaanisqatsi. This film was nothing. It tried to be artistically insightful into loneliness and failed miserably.

The explosions of colour and sound that are used to portray Japan, are juxtaposed perfectly with the quiet, nervous, glances and words shared by the main actors. You can almost see what they are thinking, and read the confusion and turmoil that they are experiencing, at the same time as the pure pleasure and enjoyment of each other's company. It was clear that they both loved and cared for their partners, but we have all experienced times when life is not how we may have planned, and we may take pleasure in the company of others, without giving in to animal instincts and jumping into bed with each other.

Even though I bet you were watching all the way through wondering "I wonder if they'll have sex". Yes, relationships work without sex, these people are known as 'friends'. Watching a film about making a friend is like playing The Sims. Except without the ability to lock people in rooms and burn them to death.

A simply beautiful and gentle movie, driven by huge stirring thoughts and undertones that are never verbalised, but just seem to hang in the air.

It was certainly gentle, and beautiful to people that haven't seen enough of the world maybe. Driven by huge strirring thoughts? -What- thoughts? There was nothing deep to this movie, everything was waved in your face over and over again just in case you didn't realise they were LONELY and LOST.

To all those who didn't enjoy it, I feel sorry for you that you didn't get it, maybe you're just not as in touch with your feelings as the rest of us.

This is a sensitive movie, and if you cannot be sensitive for a couple of hours you certainly won't get it.

Actually, I think it's the people that have no idea how they feel that would enjoy this movie more, the absolute retarded ones that think they're sensitive and caring but are in actual fact completely self-absorbed about themselves.

And I've written POETRY. Lots and lots of it. I know how it feels.

The amount of senses I managed to dig up to force myself to try and enjoy this movie were incredible. And I really wanted to. But it WAS NOT beautiful. It's like filming a bunch of chavs drinking White Lightning around a Nova in a Tesco carpark and calling it beautiful. Get out more.

And to anyone who thought this movie was racist regarding its portrayal of the Japanese, that is just pathetic. To westerners, Japan is a bizarre and wonderful place, and the society and people are just as bizarre and wonderful.

I think the whole idea was that they felt so OUT OF PLACE and perhaps LOST in such a different city that was so BEAUTIFUL and DIFFERENT and together they WEREN'T ALONE ANYMORE.

If I had written this, I would have torn it to pieces.
Sun 30/01/05 at 21:52
Don't forget the EMOTIONAL ending. Oh, how I WEPT.
Sun 30/01/05 at 21:54
Regular
"0228"
Nashbrains wrote:
> It's my least favourite film ever, maybe.

I haven't seen Lost in Translation but I can't see how it could possibly be worse than Legally Blonde 2. That film nearly made me cry it was so bad.
Sun 30/01/05 at 22:18
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Saw it at the cinema and enjoyed it. I don't remember laughing (although most people hardly stopped) and I won't be sad if I never see it again.

It's not that bad but it's also not as great as people like to think it is.

I'd rather watch Ghostbusters or Scrooged. Or one of Murray's better "indie" films such as Rushmore.
Mon 31/01/05 at 12:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It's dull. And pointless. And faux-art.
And having the final sentence you can't hear was done years ago by Radiohead.
There really is no excuse to sit through this turgid "speakee Engrish" turdfest.
Mon 31/01/05 at 12:14
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
I'm waiting for someone to come into this thread and tell everyone that they "didn't get it", "aren't emotionally mature enough to enjoy it", and "can't handle a movie that deviates from the traditional beginning, middle and end format"

All of which I've had directed towards me because I had the nerve to say in a pub that I really didn't like the movie.

So, in advance. I got it. I got it perfectly. I just thought it was terribly boring and a waste of two hours. Nothing more, nothing less.
Mon 31/01/05 at 12:25
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
There's nothing to get.
It's an infantile view of another country from the daughter of a once-good director, a romanticised idealised version of a bloke moping around.
End. Of. Story.

And no, Light, there's no hidden depths simply because you're a girly man.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.