GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband switch advice/help"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/01/05 at 13:54
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I've been with Pipex for nearly 2 years now and am happy with their reliability - it hasn't failed a single time. But, I've noticed other people offering cheaper packages and faster speeds, so I did a bit of research and have come up with some alternatives:

Prodigy Networks
1Mbps / £28
2Mbps / £38

Plus Net
1Mbps / £30
2Mbps / £40

Telewest Broadband
1Mbps / £25
2Mbps / £35

Do anyone have experience with any of these, i.e. are they reliable or should I avoid any of them? I'm seriously considering the Telewest 2Mbps service as it's just within my budget.

Any advice or alternatives would be greatly appreciated.
Thu 03/02/05 at 14:03
Regular
"Fruit makes you far"
A 2 Mb home based product (as opposed to the office based product currently offered) is on the way - this will be considerably cheaper but you will need to understand (as has been well explained below) that this is a different grade of product.

Regards,
Danny
Sun 30/01/05 at 15:50
Regular
"YTS Primate"
mermoid wrote:
> Uncapped 2mb is a total rip though.

Quite an unfair comment when you compare like for like. Take in to account that Freeola offer a 20/1 Contention ratio while you are comparing a 20/1 service with 50/1 services.

Uncapped, 20/1 contention ratio, 2Mb Service Compared.

Freeola £49.99

Prodigy Networks £64.62

Plus Net £56.16

In simplified terms the contention ratio is the number of people sharing a connection. Sharing with 50 other people never presented a problem before. Now with so many home users downloading programs and films I notice the slow down at busy times.

Exactly the same thing happened to dial up years ago as more people got computers and the Internet took off. The sevice to go with was a consideration between contention ratio vs price.
Sun 30/01/05 at 15:17
Regular
Thats good then as a do not charge extras for the laughs ;-) point taken on how you read the message, my point is that Broadband/dial up the providers credabilty will not just show through Broadband, if they had a poor service record on dial up then its likely that the broadband service will be the same? to that point my experiance with freeola on dial up has been nothing short of exceptional so I would expect the same level of service with broadband. At the end of the day most of us are at the mercy of BT maintaining the lines, I am in a rural location and thought we would NEVER get broadband but we did and before some of the larger towns near us, dont know why that is? but cable will NEVER EVER make its way to this part of Scotland that is for sure 2mb is possible on my line but 4mb is a mission impossible.

Hmmm... wrote:
> Shelljed wrote:
> And your point is?
>
> Made me laugh!
>
> When someone says "its been faultless since day one" it's
> normally said in the context that they have some long(ish)term
> experience of the product (in this case Freeola Broadband).
>
> I am also on Freeola - and happy with my connection (for just over a
> year).
Sun 30/01/05 at 15:05
"Are you sure?"
Shelljed wrote:
> And your point is? >

Made me laugh!

When someone says "its been faultless since day one" it's normally said in the context that they have some long(ish)term experience of the product (in this case Freeola Broadband).

I am also on Freeola - and happy with my connection (for just over a year).
Sun 30/01/05 at 14:20
Regular
And your point is? I was with BT for over 10 years! and their service is very poor! and at PREMIUM rates, and since it became BT Yahoo its has got worse I have used freeola on Dial up for many years now and they are first class when it comes to customer service and reliabilty, so what if I have only had Broadband for 10 days, that does not change my opinion of Freeola.

Hmmm... wrote:
> Shelljed wrote:
> I use freeola, 1mb with 30GB a month and its been faultless since
> day
> one...
> Kev
>
> Looking at your previous posts am I right in thinking you've been on
> Broadband for 10 WHOLE DAYS ? ;¬)
Sat 29/01/05 at 16:01
"Are you sure?"
Shelljed wrote:
> I use freeola, 1mb with 30GB a month and its been faultless since day
> one...
> Kev

Looking at your previous posts am I right in thinking you've been on Broadband for 10 WHOLE DAYS ? ;¬)
Sat 29/01/05 at 15:41
Regular
I use freeola, 1mb with 30GB a month and its been faultless since day one and I get unlimited webspace and emails and really friendly support staff (if needed) price is not everything.

Kev
Thu 27/01/05 at 19:28
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Uncapped 2mb is a total rip though.
Thu 27/01/05 at 13:27
Regular
"Fruit makes you far"
How very rude to talk about everybody elses service without mentioning Freeola Broadband - head and shoulders above the packages below. Great service quality, speed and tonnes of free stuff thrown in.

1 Mb Speed from £19.99
2 Mb Speed from £29.99

[URL]http://freeola.com/broadband[/URL]
Wed 26/01/05 at 17:26
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Good point - I think I'll just go for the Pipex 2Mb.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.