GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Programming Windows Applications"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/01/05 at 15:45
Regular
Hey,
Im learning C++ at the moment - slowly getting my way through it and building console applications that revolve around math rather than helping a user to do something (Other than turning celcius into fahrenheit). I used to program in VB, until I realised it was utterly pointless and I decided to move onto delphi but didn't really get stuck into it, both of these languages enabled me to design applications for windows which I liked and enjoyed doing - but how do I do this with C++? I know there is Visual C++ but that looks a bit too confusing.
Is there any other way?
Thanks,
James
Tue 25/01/05 at 19:19
Regular
"Master Chef - halo"
>Unessacery use of insults for someone who was just asking a simple
> question.

I always unnecessarily insult peeps, so sorry.

But I am getting tired of people (often as old or older than me) going on for an easy end all way to make programs without even doing the basics and just getting bored by them (the basics).

I may not be brilliant at program, but atleast I am willing to wait for a while to learn the basics and go on to learn other stuff. Most of your windows users by general just because they used VB 6 or something think they'll be able to do amazing things with c, cpp and c# etc. It annoys me...
Tue 25/01/05 at 19:19
gamesfreak wrote:
> Socksy wrote:
> FOOL!!!
> Idiots.
>
> Unessacery use of insults for someone who was just asking a simple
> question.

Jeez, lighten up.
Tue 25/01/05 at 19:21
Socksy wrote:
It annoys me...

Then chill out, take some drugs and dole out advice in a condescending manner.
Tue 25/01/05 at 19:24
Regular
"Master Chef - halo"
Meh.
I created a "useful" app as you say with cocoa and java with the cocoa documentation. As I know none of you part from OS X users will be able to run it I can't be bothered to upload it or anything.

But using the basics can mean that you eventually learn all the more complicated stuff and it does help.

For now I would recommend Visaj as it is a gui builder that is written in pure java and is quite simple to adapt to certain things. Not to beginners though as it costs money... There is a free trial though. [URL]http://www.ist.co.uk/visaj/index.html[/URL] .
Tue 25/01/05 at 19:25
Regular
"Master Chef - halo"
lcarus wrote:
> Socksy wrote:
> It annoys me...
>
> Then chill out, take some drugs
I'm twelve.
> and dole out advice in a
> condescending manner.

Any way it is mostly the stupid ignorant people that own ps2s and windows that have been getting at my nerves recently.
Tue 25/01/05 at 19:25
No upload it, I'll be able to run it.
Tue 25/01/05 at 19:27
Socksy wrote:

> Then chill out, take some drugs
> I'm twelve

Again, I was kidding. Sheesh.

> Any way it is mostly the stupid ignorant people that own ps2s and
> windows that have been getting at my nerves recently.

Hmm, I own them both. Apparently I'm stupid and ignorant then? x2?
Tue 25/01/05 at 20:09
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Socksy wrote:
> But I am getting tired of people (often as old or older than me)
> going on for an easy end all way to make programs without even doing
> the basics and just getting bored by them (the basics).

You know, there are some things that people need to learn on their own. And it doesn't matter how much you tell them the "correct" way, they still need to find it out for themselves. Calling people fools or idiots usually only has the effect of entrenching them in their current view/ideas.

Anyway. its a fact of life these days that there are many languages & programs that allows people to achieve what they want without having a deeper understanding of the inner workings of what they are doing. Personally I don't have a problem with this, the majority of languages & tools these days are created with this aim.
"learning the basics" is just a matter of perspective too. Java is a high level languages that often obscures some quite fundamental things, should somebody call you a fool or an idiot for not using a lower level language and "learning the basics"?
So try not to be too upset if people don't want to do things your way. ;)
Tue 25/01/05 at 20:23
Regular
lcarus wrote:
> Jeez, lighten up.

I know it sounded harsh, but like Garin has just said below, it kind of puts a dampner on a person who is willing to learn.
Tue 25/01/05 at 20:26
Regular
Socksy when was the last time you smelt fresh air or has your head been up your own ass for too long you have forgot what it smells like?

People try and do things there own ways, I am trying to learn C++ - and I am failing, I don't have enough time and it takes a lot for me to sit down for 30 minutes a night and put my mind to something that I find difficult.
Don't go insulting people - I just don't have the same level of understanding for stuff like this like you do.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.