GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Programming Windows Applications"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/01/05 at 15:45
Regular
Hey,
Im learning C++ at the moment - slowly getting my way through it and building console applications that revolve around math rather than helping a user to do something (Other than turning celcius into fahrenheit). I used to program in VB, until I realised it was utterly pointless and I decided to move onto delphi but didn't really get stuck into it, both of these languages enabled me to design applications for windows which I liked and enjoyed doing - but how do I do this with C++? I know there is Visual C++ but that looks a bit too confusing.
Is there any other way?
Thanks,
James
Sun 23/01/05 at 15:45
Regular
Hey,
Im learning C++ at the moment - slowly getting my way through it and building console applications that revolve around math rather than helping a user to do something (Other than turning celcius into fahrenheit). I used to program in VB, until I realised it was utterly pointless and I decided to move onto delphi but didn't really get stuck into it, both of these languages enabled me to design applications for windows which I liked and enjoyed doing - but how do I do this with C++? I know there is Visual C++ but that looks a bit too confusing.
Is there any other way?
Thanks,
James
Sun 23/01/05 at 15:53
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
If you were comfortable with Delphi's environment, you might have a look at Borland's other stuff, they do have a C++ product. They still offer personal editions for nothing I think.

Only use Visual Studio personally so cannot vouch for anything else.
Sun 23/01/05 at 17:46
Regular
GUI programming is more complex in languages such as C++.

I think Borland C++ Builder offers a RAD development enviroment, but to be honest, in my opinion, it kind of moves away from the original concepts of C++....
Sun 23/01/05 at 18:17
Regular
Could you recommend a language other than Visual Basic for developing Windows Applications.
Sun 23/01/05 at 18:35
C#, Cpp, Delphi (pascal).
Sun 23/01/05 at 19:02
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Mode wrote:
> Could you recommend a language other than Visual Basic for developing
> Windows Applications.

You might try Java? But unless you find yourself an IDE with a nice GUI builder, you're going to find yourself in the same position as you were with C++. You can build windows applications with just about any language as long as you have the compiler for it. What you're looking for though seems to be something that avoids you having to build the interface via code yourself. And that limits your choices a bit and the really good instances of them bring you back to VB, Visual Studio and Borland stuff (Delphi etc.)
Tue 25/01/05 at 03:01
Regular
JCreator is a good Java IDE.

For C++, there really isn't much competition to MS Visual Studio .Net. The best thing to do is get a hold of it, and try to get any decent games programming book. They all start with a crash course in Windows programming, menu's and other resources, so learning is that little bitty easier.
Tue 25/01/05 at 18:17
Regular
"Master Chef - halo"
FOOL!!!

You can't just jump into gui program whilst being bored with console applications!

If you can't do the simple console apps then you can't just jump onto gui!!!!

Sure you get these programs that is much easier to do guis etc but you haven't really learned much.

I recommend java for it's simplisty and easier to do interface.
For instance it is possible with practicaly no programming to do some very simple gui with it anyway [URL]http://www.zen22638.zen.co.uk/ben/weaponname.class[/URL] .

Idiots.
Tue 25/01/05 at 18:50
Regular
Socksy wrote:
> FOOL!!!
> Idiots.

Unessacery use of insults for someone who was just asking a simple question.
Tue 25/01/05 at 19:19
Socksy wrote:

> I recommend java for it's simplisty and easier to do interface.
> For instance it is possible with practicaly no programming to do some
> very simple gui with it anyway
> [URL]http://www.zen22638.zen.co.uk/ben/weaponname.class[/URL] .
>

For something *useful* though, you need a lot more than that. Adding the components, actionlisteners... all adds up to a few hundred lines of code even for a simple banking app.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.