GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New 'Cheaper' Apple products"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/01/05 at 13:55
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Computer has said it will begin selling a stripped-down Macintosh computer without monitor, keyboard or mouse for $499 (265 pounds) and new iPod digital music players costing as little as $99.

Chief Executive Steve Jobs, announcing the new products at the MacWorld exposition on Tuesday, also said that Apple had sold 4.5 million units of its blockbuster iPod in the 2004 holiday quarter.

Apple shares fell nearly 4 percent, as some suggested that the news had been priced into the stock, thanks to widespread rumours ahead of the show.

"There was so much expectation built in for the stock ... I think that the expectations were about as high as they could get for it," said Marc Pado, U.S. market strategist at Cantor Fitzgerald & Co. "I think it was a case of buy on the rumour and sell on the news."

The iPod sales figure was also slightly below some Wall Street forecasts. Banc of America Securities had predicted iPod sales of 4.6 million units in a note on Tuesday. Prudential had predicted 4.25 million units.

Apple said the new "iPod shuffle" was smaller and lighter than a pack of gum and would come in 512 megabyte and 1 gigabyte capacities. The smaller one would hold about 120 songs, Jobs said.

The new iPod falls into a category of music players that use "flash memory," like that found in digital cameras and some portable disk drives, rather than hard drives like the other iPod models.

"We'd like to go after the remaining mainstream flash market," Jobs said, noting that the flash memory-based digital player market is currently highly fragmented. "The products are all pretty much the same."

He also claimed the iPod holds a 65 percent share of the entire market for portable digital music players, up from only 31 percent a year earlier.

Apple said a number of car companies like Mercedes-Benz USA, Volvo, Nissan and Ferrari were working to integrate the iPod line into their car stereo systems.

The "Mac mini" will come in $499 and $599 models. Weighing in at less than 3 pounds and 2 inches tall, the box has digital media ports that let it connect to televisions as well as traditional PC monitors.

Jobs' announcements were awaited eagerly by the Mac faithful worldwide, though they offered no real surprises, unlike in previous years. The new iPod and the smaller Mac were telegraphed by the many online Mac rumour sites in recent weeks, some of which are being sued by Apple for those leaks.

I know it's alot to read but I dont think I can give you a link cause you have to register.

Anyways, I think this is pretty good news and a 1GB iPod would sell loads because it'll be cheap and have resonable memory.
Wed 12/01/05 at 23:37
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
They're not always in shuffle.
Its called the shuffle because you have no screen so you dont know what you're playing next. I guess, on some photos you can see a switch changing from loop, shuffle and off, so i guess it has the option to stop it.
Otherwise it would get annoying.
If that is the case though, that it is always on shuffle, then yeah, stupid.
Wed 12/01/05 at 23:33
Regular
"Royale with Cheese"
If anyone buys that iPod Shuffle they are officially retards. £69 no screen, songs always in a shuffle or something, 512MB...awful, should be good but it aint.
Wed 12/01/05 at 21:31
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Cycloon wrote:
>it makes a whole sales spiel out of the fact you're
> paying for something you can't control.
>

Its the beginning of the takeover by computers... we can't control them anymore :-(
Wed 12/01/05 at 21:21
Regular
"gsybe you!"
gerrid wrote:
> [URL]http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle[/URL]

I like that - it makes a whole sales spiel out of the fact you're paying for something you can't control.

Still, is remarkably small, but it'd drive me insane.
Wed 12/01/05 at 21:20
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hasn't the Creative Muvo 1GB been out for yonks, and has a bloody screen as well?

Meh, all good, cheaper stuff.

I still want a Zen Micro....
Wed 12/01/05 at 19:47
"I love yo... lamp."
gerbil man wrote:

> Yeah..I'm a huge fanboy. Especially
> regarding..."what?"...oh, right, Intel.
>
> I suppose you fall under the guise of "Mac" fanboy.
>
> PC's are better becuase they dont have the apple logo, and the mice
> have more than one button.

Wrong, more of an x86 hater than a PowerPC fanboy.
Wed 12/01/05 at 19:34
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Macs are good when they're made good!

Everyone's saying that these things are gonna be used for video/music instead of anything else.

I think they just look like white Gamecubes...
Wed 12/01/05 at 19:32
Regular
"Pwned"
Harsh words of wisdom, Timmargh.
Wed 12/01/05 at 19:24
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Oh, Christ, not the "PCs are better than Macs because blahblahblah" crap again?

PCs are good at some stuff; Macs are good at some stuff.

Some people prefer PCs; some people prefer Macs.

Get over it.
Wed 12/01/05 at 18:31
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Except it would be an upgrade. If their computer was fast enough they
> wouldn't be looking at upgrading would they? Or are you one of those
> Intel fanboy types who thinks clockspeed is everything?
>
> Also, OS X = no virus or spyware issues. Or Microsoft logos.

Yeah..I'm a huge fanboy. Especially regarding..."what?"...oh, right, Intel.

I suppose you fall under the guise of "Mac" fanboy.

PC's are better becuase they dont have the apple logo, and the mice have more than one button.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.