GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
" Critics always make out that films are worse than they are!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/01/05 at 22:04
Regular
"56 000"
National treasure is good, better than I thought it would be. Its fast moving, lots of action and just soooooooo fun to watch.However critics said it was rubbish.Which it is not.

My next film im looking forward to is Alexander. I know critics say its disapointing but critics are too harsh these days.They said King Arthur and Troy werent very good and they even said National Treasure wasn't very good.
But guess what I thought they were all very good films and I guess that is my opinion! and everyone is entitled to an opinion. I think that Critics when it comes to films like these expect all films to reach LOTR standard. But lets face it very few films will.

Do you agree?
Tue 11/01/05 at 15:46
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Goatboy wrote:
> That's cool. I think, especially with PTA, some directors you either
> love or just boil away at.

Oliver Stone. And Paul Verhoeven. Both of these overhyped hymen-maggots shouldn't be allowed near a studio ever again unless the former promises to only make conspiracy based films, and the latter includes giant space insects in his every film.

> I can't abide Woody Allen, Wes Anderson or Sophia Coppola (Virgin
> Suicides? I wish she did right before making Lost in Translation).

I absolutely LOVED Virgin Suicides. It was the same lush visuals as Lost in Translation, but with a story. And I especially liked how the film made no effort to get under the skin of just why they all topped themselves, and only hinted at the disfunctionality of the family.

Woody Allen generally leaves me cold, but Sleeper and Everything I Ever Wanted to Know about Sex... are cracking good fun.

> Yet I love Paul Thomas Anderson, David Lynch, Kevin Smith - but
> friends hate 'em.

Snap, though I think Lynch is occasionally guilt of overindulgence; Erasorhead was just cinematic onanism. Everything else he's ever done I love (especially The Straight Story).
>
> Odd.
> But we can all agree that Michael Winner has no merit as anything
> other than a ballfaced hack

Yes. Yes we can. But one must credit him for having unwittingly eaten more spunk than any other heterosexual man alive.
Tue 11/01/05 at 14:53
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
monkey_man wrote:
> Maybe some CS would make you feel better...?

Was getting really annoyed with it yesterday (off with a stinking cold) and eventually zoned out into a rage fuled, coughing, phlem chucking, bleery eyed snot nosed engine of destruction. Massacred the lot of them. Then sucked the next round as I started feeling sorry for myself again.

I have vaugue memories of trying to play Saturday night approx 11.30, absolutely minging. Can anyone confirm this?

(sorry, off topic)
Tue 11/01/05 at 14:52
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
monkey_man wrote:
> Maybe some CS would make you feel better...?

Bring it on!!
Tue 11/01/05 at 14:51
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
That's cool. I think, especially with PTA, some directors you either love or just boil away at.
I can't abide Woody Allen, Wes Anderson or Sophia Coppola (Virgin Suicides? I wish she did right before making Lost in Translation).
Yet I love Paul Thomas Anderson, David Lynch, Kevin Smith - but friends hate 'em.

Odd.
But we can all agree that Michael Winner has no merit as anything other than a ballfaced hack
Tue 11/01/05 at 14:51
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Maybe some CS would make you feel better...?
Tue 11/01/05 at 14:49
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Goatboy wrote:
> I love Punchdrunk Love, yet found Lost in Translation to be the
> equivalent of listening to a really boring mumu-wearing lesbian talk
> about plants for 2hrs. Hated it with a passion and will punch Bill
> Murray in his hangdog face next time I see him for stealing precious
> moments of my life.
>
> But Paul Thomas Anderson, for me, can do no wrong.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh with the movie snob comment in relation to PDL, as I knew beforehand Light enjoyed it and he's anything but. I'm just in a foul mood. Again.

Only PTA movies I've seen are Punch drunk, Boogie nights and Magnolia. Really enjoyed two of the afore mentioned titles and as previously said, probably not in the mood for the other.
Tue 11/01/05 at 14:47
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Can't stomach Wes Anderson at all.
Watched Bottle Rocket and thought "...muh?", Rushmore the same and I turned Royal Tennebaums off after an hour.
He's not my cuppa
Tue 11/01/05 at 14:41
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
See, I hated The Royal Tenenbaums, but I've liked films of the ilk in the past.
Tue 11/01/05 at 14:39
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Heh. Rushmore is a corking film. As is Tenenbaums. And I'm looking forward to the next one; maybe Murray will redeem himself?

Lost in Translation to me is the ultimate in style over substance. It's the filmic equivalent of Naomi Campbell; looks gorgeous and elegant, but there's nothing of any real interest there.
Tue 11/01/05 at 14:39
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
The only critic worth listening to is yourself. How can you go wrong if you live by that rule?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.