GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Unpaid overtime"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/01/05 at 14:12
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Was reading an article on the BBC website about people staying late/coming in early/weekend work etc, [URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4149835.stm[/URL] and I wondered if you've ever done that on a regular basis.
I can't say that I have, I was out the door at 5pm like a shot without fail. Never did weekend work either, it was just a job. Doesn't matter what job it was, just a job.
Ok being a postie we're supposed to start at 5am and many do, but an awful lot of come in about 4am instead just so we can catch up and be out the door by 7:30am - but then we mainly finish about 11am, paid till 1pm so it balances out.

And one of the comments from readers made me angry/sad at the same time:
"Surely the individual worker should be more interested in proving to his/her firm that they are a productive and valuable member of the team, ready to go the extra mile to produce good work as opposed to clocking off on the dot as if their employer should be grateful."
?????????????
"Yes I am a productive member of the team"
Baaaaaah baaaaaah baaaaah
Doesn't matter, your ass'll get fired just as easily as the next person.
Christ, "a productive member of the team". Have we become a hive-minded worker bee society that feels the need to be a "Productive member of the team" instead of a person?
I'd like to punch that person in the stomach with my hand which is balled into a fist whilst chanting "I am a productive member of your team"
Fri 07/01/05 at 14:40
Regular
"Light of the world"
ooo bit harsh goats!

starting a new job whilst at uni in a kiddies store called'Fun Learning' Other than the fact that working there really is not fun at all what really annoyed me was how in the interview they completely forgot to mention how much overtime I would be doing as 'standard'

Due to there being a severe lack of staff and too much stock being delivered for a days work - If by the time I am supposed to walk out the door the door has actually been barracaded with huge piles of boxes we 'HAVE' to finish pricing and counting the stock then shelving them till everything is done. Including your 'duties' depending what lame chip you pulled out of a bag means you could be hoovering and cleaning the toilets before you even start stock :'(

But I found out soon enough if I was being paid for this - I was, but only at the same hourly rate as normal no extra. Sometimes I would be staying behind two - three hours extra each night baring in mind im a student with studies (and a social life) to fit in!

BUT!!! The other dumb*ss workers didnt get any extra at all. They are on a monthly salary where as I am a hourly paid part time worker. So they have more to do and no money for it. I would have scarpered long before

Need to look for a new job really... being a student i am skinto though

*rant over*
Fri 07/01/05 at 14:44
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I've had the worst jobs.
Safeway paid me £3.45 to work at 6-12am on Sat/Sun mornings.

Paid me no trasnport cost and everyone else working there was on double time on a larger wage. Bloody retail gobshites.
Fri 07/01/05 at 14:49
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
The worst/most blatant abuse of employment law was a shop job I had years ago. I actually liked the job. I was really good at it, and what I did required an ounce of skill to do. But the management were sniveling little pussbags. By law a shop is required to keep a copy of your contract on the premises. So when they decided to change our rates of pay, I asked for my contract: "Sorry, we can't find them.", "Where are they?", "Er...the old manager tore them up and threw them away", "No he didn't, he was a good manager, unlike you, and you told us he was being done for fraud, which was also a lie.", "Er...we're not renewing your old contract, you have to sign this new one that gives you less pay and no overtime, I'm on my mobile so I have to go goodbye!" *area manager hangs up*, "*(%$^*)!".

So I contacted the CAB, got some info and proved them wrong, but still left anyway, just to rub it home further, and they had no other trained staff to run that department. I am Erin Monkeyvich!
Fri 07/01/05 at 14:49
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Working in retail made me want to die.
Fri 07/01/05 at 14:56
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
The girlfriend's cousin has the best stories. He was physically attacked twice over the Christmas period, behind the counter in a shop, because they didn't have items in stock. In another incident a customer told him to "Watch out," because "I own a taxi company"...that's the most bizarre threat ever.
Fri 07/01/05 at 15:00
Regular
"Excommunicated"
The nurses let all the nutter patients (can't spell pyschiatriccawfa) roam around the hospital. So they all come to my shop and annoy me.

A tank of a woman came in the office once asking if I trusted her and do you think she could kill her dog with a Fanta can. True.
Fri 07/01/05 at 15:31
Regular
"Light of the world"
um..

yea you win

But I have had my fair share of mental people in my short time.

Prob my own thought I am to 'smiley' supposedly :S
Fri 07/01/05 at 15:32
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Lil Ginge wrote:
> Prob my own thought I am to 'smiley' supposedly

...?
Fri 07/01/05 at 15:43
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I did about 2.5-3 hours overtime a day in 2004. One day I did 10 hours overtime. All unpaid :0|
Fri 07/01/05 at 15:45
Regular
"Light of the world"
gerrid wrote:
> Lil Ginge wrote:
> Prob my own thought I am to 'smiley' supposedly
>
>
> ...?

You know the score your standing at the train station.. or bus station.. or on the train.. always transport involved and theres someone who 'isnt all there' near you. But you dont want to be rude and blank them when they look at you and you dont want to just tell them to f**k off like some do. So you just give them a knowing smile or not even that. Just not a dark 'Your scum look'

.. Thats when everytime I screw up supposedly I am to nice to wackos which then either stalk me home, or come over and talk about bees sneezing and bacteria or something like that.

:(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.