GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Unpaid overtime"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/01/05 at 14:12
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Was reading an article on the BBC website about people staying late/coming in early/weekend work etc, [URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4149835.stm[/URL] and I wondered if you've ever done that on a regular basis.
I can't say that I have, I was out the door at 5pm like a shot without fail. Never did weekend work either, it was just a job. Doesn't matter what job it was, just a job.
Ok being a postie we're supposed to start at 5am and many do, but an awful lot of come in about 4am instead just so we can catch up and be out the door by 7:30am - but then we mainly finish about 11am, paid till 1pm so it balances out.

And one of the comments from readers made me angry/sad at the same time:
"Surely the individual worker should be more interested in proving to his/her firm that they are a productive and valuable member of the team, ready to go the extra mile to produce good work as opposed to clocking off on the dot as if their employer should be grateful."
?????????????
"Yes I am a productive member of the team"
Baaaaaah baaaaaah baaaaah
Doesn't matter, your ass'll get fired just as easily as the next person.
Christ, "a productive member of the team". Have we become a hive-minded worker bee society that feels the need to be a "Productive member of the team" instead of a person?
I'd like to punch that person in the stomach with my hand which is balled into a fist whilst chanting "I am a productive member of your team"
Fri 07/01/05 at 14:12
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Was reading an article on the BBC website about people staying late/coming in early/weekend work etc, [URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4149835.stm[/URL] and I wondered if you've ever done that on a regular basis.
I can't say that I have, I was out the door at 5pm like a shot without fail. Never did weekend work either, it was just a job. Doesn't matter what job it was, just a job.
Ok being a postie we're supposed to start at 5am and many do, but an awful lot of come in about 4am instead just so we can catch up and be out the door by 7:30am - but then we mainly finish about 11am, paid till 1pm so it balances out.

And one of the comments from readers made me angry/sad at the same time:
"Surely the individual worker should be more interested in proving to his/her firm that they are a productive and valuable member of the team, ready to go the extra mile to produce good work as opposed to clocking off on the dot as if their employer should be grateful."
?????????????
"Yes I am a productive member of the team"
Baaaaaah baaaaaah baaaaah
Doesn't matter, your ass'll get fired just as easily as the next person.
Christ, "a productive member of the team". Have we become a hive-minded worker bee society that feels the need to be a "Productive member of the team" instead of a person?
I'd like to punch that person in the stomach with my hand which is balled into a fist whilst chanting "I am a productive member of your team"
Fri 07/01/05 at 14:16
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Good christ no. The only work I've ever gone beyond the call of duty for is acting work. Aside from that, if someone wants me for longer hours then they can pay me enormous sums of cash.

And the comment from the website sounds like a Belldandy "This is how I expect the world to be based on what I just read in a Clancy book" special.
Fri 07/01/05 at 14:21
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Whenever I did overtime the first half hour was free for the queen or something. I used to work overtime a lot. Come on 20 minutes early ready to parade for briefing and finishing late was not uncommon. The amount of times you go into that extra 30 minutes would be at least 2 out of 4 shifts. If you arrested someone 30 minutes before the end of a shift it would mean at least 2 hours overtime getting them sorted for someone to deal with them and that’s if everything goes smoothly. If there was no one else available then it may be 5-8 hours while you deal too.

You would then have to speak with an Inspector and get a sheet signed to actually be paid for that extra work.

Unpaid overtime after working 11-hours used to get on my baps.
Fri 07/01/05 at 14:26
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I read that yesterday too, though my problem is my bloody work don't pay for overtime that they're meant to. I worked 30 hours extra in September and they still haven't paid me, bloody charity think I'm a charity.

Annnnnyyyway, my dad is on a salary and the tendering manager or whatever. He starts at 8 and on average doesn't get home till 7. Though me and my mum keep telling him over and over that he should do 9-5 but no he says its his responsibity and if he can't win orders then he's not doing his job.

Yet his work would make him redundant if it suited them whilst he's lying awake all night worried about his work yet getting buggger all benefit than somebody else who clocks out on the dot. Though, I planted seeds of doubt about my mum leaving him and him having a heart attack, might have knocked some sense into him.

Stupid work, it's only there so we can afford stuff we want to do.
Fri 07/01/05 at 14:27
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
It's the bit in Office Space with Jennifer Aniston and the amount of badges she has on her uniform.

My girlfriend is leaving her shop job as soon as she can (she better do, or pow, zoom, straight to the moon), because of the total lack of respect her company have for their employees. The area manager told the staff they couldn't leave, and set a new finishing time for them - literally 5 minutes before the time they were told they could leave. Good on her though, she went home. Then the gobshite had the nerve to say to her "I don't think you're cut out for a career in retail". What, she doesn't want to end up working in a crappy shop for the rest of her life? You don't say!

And that's another thing about Harlow - how many temping factories do we need? It's like the residents are bred for it.
Fri 07/01/05 at 14:30
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Also, when I worked in Pizza Hut a few years back we only got paid for an hour after the place shut, yet it took at least 3 hours to do the job that was required to prepare it for the next day.

Eventually we all naffed off after an hour once, leaving the management threating to sack us. I quit and took lots of unused pizzas to a party that night. Good times.
Fri 07/01/05 at 14:32
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
monkey_man wrote:
> It's the bit in Office Space with Jennifer Aniston and the amount of
> badges she has on her uniform.

How bizarre - see Office Space thread.
Fri 07/01/05 at 14:33
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Yeah, just have. It's like we have empathy or something. That's not gay.
Fri 07/01/05 at 14:34
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I think you're all Grix.
Fri 07/01/05 at 14:36
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
The timing is odd, saw the film and read the article within an hour of each other.
"Yeah, I'm gonna need you to come in on Saturday mmmkay?"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.