GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Suggestions please."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/12/04 at 09:17
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Right you monkeys.

I want an online game.
I want it to be playable when I'm drunk / hungover / Don't fancy twitch gaming. Basically no fast action. Counter strike / Hl2 : Dm are great, but impossible to play well whilst refreshed.
I don't want monthly fees.
I don't want an RTS.

Looking ideally for a MMORPG, but free (after initial purchase?) or something slightly different. I remember a sort of rts where you build stuff on floating island a la Project Nomads. Can't remember what it was called though. [edit] found it. Time Of Defiance. [edit2] Pah....Monthly fees............

What's out there?
Sat 18/12/04 at 11:24
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
PsYİHo FoX 19 wrote:
> Use Azureus for bittorrent downloads, it's a lot better and you can
> stop and restart your download anythime,

I personally prefer the ABC client. It allows you to keep a seed open for a specific amount of time, as opposed to Azureus jeeping the torrent open.
I have a 30gb cap monthly. If a download finished at 12.30pm, I want to keep it open for the minimum amount of time. I don't want to let people leech till I get up in the morning.
Sat 18/12/04 at 10:52
"The Will of D."
Use Azureus for bittorrent downloads, it's a lot better and you can stop and restart your download anythime, plus even though the download rate and upload rate is still jumping up and down every second it doesn't rely on you having something busy on yoursystem to keep it above 0 (which with the original bit torrent you do not want seeing as it reaches 0 and never goes back up again).
Fri 17/12/04 at 16:49
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Lipe wrote:
> 4 WEEKS?! My god...you're a very patient man!

*snort* I would have cancelled it immediately if I didn't know about bittorents hissy fits. All in all, it took 5 hours.
Fri 17/12/04 at 16:44
Regular
4 WEEKS?! My god...you're a very patient man!
Fri 17/12/04 at 14:30
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
cipro wrote:
> Looks like I'll be leaving it on overnight then, I started it
> yesterday and almost died when I saw I had 221 hours left until the
> whole thing was downloaded.

Bittorrent fequently lies. Mine was on over 4 weeks until it settled. :D
Fri 17/12/04 at 14:21
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> The one off download dissappeared by the time I got home. Took
> overnight on bittorrent. I haven't had a look yet, but will be
> tonight.

Looks like I'll be leaving it on overnight then, I started it yesterday and almost died when I saw I had 221 hours left until the whole thing was downloaded.

> Ahhh, it's the drug dealer tactic. First deal free, get 'em hooked,
> bump up the price. :)

From what I hear, you need some ofr the expansion packs if you want to become a serious player. Still a great idea though, because I wouldn't mind paying for expansion packs (or the monethy cost) so long as I found the game enjoyable enough.
Fri 17/12/04 at 13:10
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
cipro wrote:
> Even on broadband it's taking an age. I'd love to try it though as
> I've heard that the developers have really put the effort into the
> game after it's dissapointing launch.

The one off download dissappeared by the time I got home. Took overnight on bittorrent. I haven't had a look yet, but will be tonight.

> Expansion packs aren't part of the deal though, shame since Alien
> Invasion sounds quite good.

Ahhh, it's the drug dealer tactic. First deal free, get 'em hooked, bump up the price. :)
Thu 16/12/04 at 17:01
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> [URL]http://www.anarchy-online.com/free/ad_campaigns/freecampaign[/URL]
>
> anarchy online has just gone free! Cool.

Even on broadband it's taking an age. I'd love to try it though as I've heard that the developers have really put the effort into the game after it's dissapointing launch.

Expansion packs aren't part of the deal though, shame since Alien Invasion sounds quite good.
Thu 16/12/04 at 16:08
Regular
Wow! That's pretty nice of them...
Thu 16/12/04 at 09:12
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
[URL]http://www.anarchy-online.com/free/ad_campaigns/freecampaign[/URL]

anarchy online has just gone free! Cool.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.