GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Insurance Claim - What do I do?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/11/06 at 13:04
"possibly impossible"
Ok, so just popped out to post a parcel and on the way back, at a roundabout, I got hit by a car that had been hit, in turn, by another car from behind.

The girl behind her admitted full responsibility (as she should), but I'm in two minds whether to claim or not. I didn't have the handbrake on, luckily, so the impact wasn't that bad, just two tiny indents in the back of my car (though I'm assuming no other damage to frame or suspension etc).

But I feel a little guilty claiming for small scratches, it's a new car (few months old) and I wanted to keep it as nice as possible. I know what my wife will say (claim!) but I feel sorry for the girl as she's going to get a claim for the other car she went in to already.

So what do you lot reckon I should do? Am I being too nice or should I forget it?
Mon 27/11/06 at 13:04
"possibly impossible"
Ok, so just popped out to post a parcel and on the way back, at a roundabout, I got hit by a car that had been hit, in turn, by another car from behind.

The girl behind her admitted full responsibility (as she should), but I'm in two minds whether to claim or not. I didn't have the handbrake on, luckily, so the impact wasn't that bad, just two tiny indents in the back of my car (though I'm assuming no other damage to frame or suspension etc).

But I feel a little guilty claiming for small scratches, it's a new car (few months old) and I wanted to keep it as nice as possible. I know what my wife will say (claim!) but I feel sorry for the girl as she's going to get a claim for the other car she went in to already.

So what do you lot reckon I should do? Am I being too nice or should I forget it?
Mon 27/11/06 at 13:25
Regular
Claim away! Go for whiplash too - she isn't lumbered with the cost, that's what insurance is for!

Nothing to feel guilty about.
Mon 27/11/06 at 13:27
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Take her for all she's worth, especially if she's with Diamond
Mon 27/11/06 at 13:39
Regular
I have to agree ... I'd make the claim pb, especially seeing as it's a new car ... you've just lost some of it's re-sale value, and doubtful as it is ... if further problems developed with the car as a result of the accident, you will have to fork out for repairs yourself.

In my experience you'll be waiting a long time for any money though. Take my old car for example, I was hit from behind hard and the guy admitted full responsibility ... still took the best part of a year to get it all processed.
Mon 27/11/06 at 13:40
"possibly impossible"
She may not have to pay out, but she'll get lumbered the next time she has to pay it and she'll probably have to pay the first £50-£200 depending on her insurance.

I am too nice, aren't I? :D
Mon 27/11/06 at 13:42
Regular
Yes you are pb ;) Think of it this way ... she just cost you a lot of money. Bumpers and panels are quite shockingly overpriced. If you do decide to fix your car in the future, you may end up paying hundreds of pounds ... is that fair?
Mon 27/11/06 at 13:43
Regular
Oh dear :S and you havent had it long pb. Hmm it's a tough one, but lets take @ngels advice, if it was a guy who did this and not a girl would you hesitate about claiming?

If it cost more than a GAD to fix then I'd claim, but if it was less then I'd pay it myself.
Mon 27/11/06 at 13:43
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
As far as I'm aware it's the fault of the car behind you not the car who hit that from behind.

If my memory serves me correctly from when this happened to a mate of mine it will be seen that the person behind you should have had their handbrake on to stop then running forward into you.

You might just want to check out whose fault the damage to your car is but I'd make a claim as you'd be losing value on your car through no fault of your own.
Mon 27/11/06 at 14:00
"possibly impossible"
I think, because both of them were just stopping, it is the fault of the third person. Plus they admitted full liability, so it's a given.
Mon 27/11/06 at 14:23
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
pb wrote:
> She may not have to pay out, but she'll get lumbered the next
> time she has to pay it and she'll probably have to pay the first
> £50-£200 depending on her insurance.
>
> I am too nice, aren't I? :D

Then it's a 200 pound lesson for her to pay attention to the road :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.