GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Buying shares."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/01/05 at 15:24
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Hi I am interested in buying shares in an American company called Manhattan Scientifics, how do I go around doing it? By the way I’m only 15 but I can get my parents to do it.
Tue 04/01/05 at 15:24
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Hi I am interested in buying shares in an American company called Manhattan Scientifics, how do I go around doing it? By the way I’m only 15 but I can get my parents to do it.
Tue 04/01/05 at 15:27
Regular
"the burning sky"
My dad uses a company called TDWaterhouse, tho' i dont know how you go about signing up to that. (Methinks there is a website). Tho' make sure your parents are comfortable with it, as you could potentially lose a lot. Tho saying that you could make a fortune. I think once you're registered with them, it should be quite easy to find the shares you want. Thats as far as my knowledge goes. I hope I helped.
Tue 04/01/05 at 15:29
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Can you only lose the money you put?
Tue 04/01/05 at 15:29
Regular
you can do it online.

i'm with www.iwebsharedealing.co.uk which let you trade for £10 if its on the FTSE

They do american shares too, although they cost more to trade.
Tue 04/01/05 at 15:32
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I have an account with the halifax, they may only allow you to buy FTSE shares though, you would have to check.
Tue 04/01/05 at 15:33
Regular
"Twenty quid."
You buy shares and then make/lose money when you sell them.

For example: you buy 100 shares priced 80p each - this costs you £80. If these shares rise to £1 each and you sell them, you get £100 and therefore make a £20 profit. If they drop to 50p and you sell them, you get £50 and therefore make a £30 loss. This doesn't include taxes and fees.

So, once you've made the initial outlay (i.e. bought the shares) you don't need to spend any more money, you own those shares until you sell them - it's only then that you make a profit/loss.
Tue 04/01/05 at 15:38
Regular
dont forget the dividends!

got a phat dividends from Lloyds this year. Bought the shares for £4.47 yet they pay 30p dividends a year which represents just under 7% return!

They have also made a tidy gain, up to almost 480 today.

You still got your marconi shares cookie?
Tue 04/01/05 at 15:39
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Thanks for the info, Manhattan Scientifics have dropped rock bottom over the last 4 years, but they have just taked a US patent for the hydrogen fuel cell so im hoping they come of very well after/if i buy.
Tue 04/01/05 at 15:40
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
or†ega wrote:
> You still got your marconi shares cookie?

Unfortunately, yes.
Tue 04/01/05 at 15:44
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Manhattan scientifics are mega cheap, i may dabble in them myself.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.