GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Eradicate Piracy"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/05/01 at 14:27
Regular
How many people only a bought a playstation when it surfaced that, a little chip or "Cheat cart" could let them play back-up games, which a mate of a mate could get. With-in a couple of years of this the cd-r market was in lift off. But wait who made the best cd-r's and the best cd-rw drives to back up Playstation games, Sony. Sony knows fine well that it made a back-door killing on the playstation through piracy. 75 million ps's sold worldwide, but the number of games sold is minimal for a figure this size. Sure it would have made more money if everyone had bought all of the original games and piracy ad never existed, but in reality it wouldn't. Now everyone knows someone with a CD-r drive, everyone knows someone who copies games and anything else worth making money from. Even sales on the dc picked up once the news that pirated games had been produced whilst the n64 fell by the wayside. But at least Sega had made a valiant effort to curb piracy by producing GD-Roms. One of the first big news stories about the ps2 other than record numbers being bought worldwide, was the fact that it could be chipped. Piracy is a scurge on the face of gaming, even the most law abiding of people seem to have a disregard for thier morality when it comes to piracy. I'm sure once the ps2 drops in price that sales of pirated games, cd-r's and cd-rw drives will again hit record levels worldwide, as people will not be so worried about having to replace faulty ps2's out of thier own pocket. But at £300 each they'd think twice. Here is where console manufacturers are in a catch 22 situation, high console prices and low software prices inhibit piracy, but they make very little money, as do the games firms themselves. Low console prices and high games prices sends piracy through the roof. Sony made a lot of money out of the Playstation because early on it was expensive and there was little piracy, no one had really thought of it. Now, people will hold off buying games and consoles until it is as cheap as possible foe them to break the law but still make great games.

But how does the games industry stop piracy???
Thu 31/05/01 at 17:55
Good post, I agree piracy sucks. I would never buy a pirated game, it's just not fair. As game prices come down lower, and the software becomes pirate proof again there is just no point. Why rip off the games companies? Do you want them to go out of business? Then there'd be no more games, as the companies would have no return.

NInteno try to make things pirate proof. Good for them. Good arguments.
Thu 31/05/01 at 17:38
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Just thought I would stick my neck out here and write something half decent, I hope, as the newbie hate campaign seems to have died down. Oh well I can put up with a bit of prodding, at least I didn't start a new thread :-). Right, piracy in my eyes goes deeper than just computer games and films. It is basically a perversion of someone elses idea. I mean think of the supposed technological advance of splitting the atom. It wasn't meant to be turned into thousands of weapons capable of destroying the world but hey why not?

The fact is that the same thing is happening on a lower scale every time a new peice of kit comes out. Back in the days when every console ran on catridges there was very little piracy compared to nowadays. I am not saying that these advances are bad but that warping them towards other means is not what they are meant for. The sad thing for the big companies in the console world and others is that it will almost definately continue in to the future. How long will it be before someone manages to chip a PS2 properly? At least Nintendo are trying to combat piracy with a different disc. We know can create our 'own' DVDs that can be played in ordinary drives and this too will result in piracy of films again. So piracy can't be stopped.

The thing is that buying pirate games keeps the piracy 'industry' alive. In princible I never used to mind people buying pirate games for the Playstation as I thought, well sure its screwing people out of money but whats the harm, the games should be priced lower anyway. This was obviously back when PS1 titles were pushing £50 a piece. But with some really amazing games for the PS2 at just £40 why bother with pirated games, if and when they are made. I mean as long as you choose your games carefully then £40 seems a fair price for games like SSX and the future titles GT3 and Red Faction. After all you could always sell them on after you've finished with them for about £25 if you're lucky.
Mon 28/05/01 at 16:59
Regular
Click on peoples names on the left and it comes up their details, and FOG stands for "future of gaming", short for the forum name!!
Mon 28/05/01 at 16:58
How do you know that?

Do you have supernatural powers?

What does FOG stand for?
Mon 28/05/01 at 16:56
Regular
One eye, you only have 4 posts and 68 words, just to let you know!!
Mon 28/05/01 at 16:54
turbonutter wrote:
> My goal is to become a regular. 11 posts to go!

How many posts until I become a regular?

Can I have all the unclaimed gameaday prises?

What is a no table?
Mon 28/05/01 at 16:29
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Bonus wrote:
> someone wants a topic on piracy so i'll just pop this

Thanks for the pop bonus, i didnt see this when i posted my one.
Mon 28/05/01 at 11:19
Regular
someone wants a topic on piracy so i'll just pop this
Thu 17/05/01 at 17:42
Regular
I dont have long to go either and i've been here what, 2 days??
Thu 17/05/01 at 14:30
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
My goal is to become a regular. 11 posts to go!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.