GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Had to laugh - NDS v PSP ... "past meets future""

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/12/04 at 18:35
"High polygon count"
"One thing is for sure, out of the box, the PSP looks very stylish and is a very well-designed concept. Put it next to the NDS and it feels like one of those visions when past meets future."

[URL]http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3545&likref=alert440[/URL]

This is - believe it or not - the first time I have seen a picture of the NDS, and I have to say it looks (to my tastes, anyway) to have all the style of an 80's mobile.

If the original PS2 was Darth Vader's toaster, then the NDS is C3PO's waffle-maker. :-)
Wed 08/12/04 at 22:53
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Wario Ware.

Ahar. A perfect hand held game.

Not saying PSP won't have fantastic games, but from my impressions, it's a portable PS2. Which of course, is impressive.

But not from a gaming point of view, considering the best PS2 games are RPGS (well, I think so - and they're great), which need involved play. Not a 5 minute bus journey.
Wed 08/12/04 at 22:55
"period drama"
Wario Ware + Touch Screen = game of the century.
It'll be painfully >
Thu 09/12/04 at 06:32
Regular
Although I'm still considering a PSP, I have to question the availability of truly 'fun' games.

DS
Feel The Magic
Wario Ware
Yoshi: Touch & Go
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Bros.
Bomberman DS
many more

Maybe I'm not fully up-to-speed with the PSP release line-up, but I honestly cannot think of a PSP game that will be more 'fun' than any of those listed above
Thu 09/12/04 at 11:01
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Same here - something I realised is that, on a handheld, you never
> want to play a big, involved game. If they made exactly the same game
> for a proper console, then for a handheld - the handheld one would
> get nothing near the kind of commitment or patience the big version
> would get.

Err. yeah, hence the success of FF 1 & 2 and Golden Sun etc on GBA...
Thu 09/12/04 at 11:11
Regular
Certain RPGs do work on portables.

Played well over a 100 hours on pokemon.
Thu 09/12/04 at 12:18
Regular
Darwock wrote:

>
> Err. yeah, hence the success of FF 1 & 2 and Golden Sun etc on
> GBA...

Oh yeah Major successes :P

They sold alright but that was to a hardcore fanbase.

Pokemon, that was a major success.

Nintendo DS has sold over 1.2 million worldwide already with a predicted 2 million shipped by Christmas.

Sony will only be releasing 500,000 PSP's in Japan by the end of the year.
Thu 09/12/04 at 13:58
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Can see the point about RPG's, i guess it'd be good for people who have to pop on a train every day for a couple of hours but for those who only have a 10 minute bus journey it wouldn't be worthwhile really. Ah well here's hoping you can get an emulator for it and play them on the PC :-D
Thu 09/12/04 at 14:32
Regular
DS is certainly an ugly beast.

Doesn't really matter though, I'm not looking to sex it.
Thu 09/12/04 at 14:32
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Dringo wrote:
> Oh yeah Major successes :P

Unlike you Dringo I do not think purely in terms of market shares, sales figures and financial performance. I described those games as 'successes' because they are very good, and suit the handheld platform they are on.
Thu 09/12/04 at 17:35
Regular
"Bicycle"
lalakersrule wrote:
> Can see the point about RPG's, i guess it'd be good for people who
> have to pop on a train every day for a couple of hours but for those
> who only have a 10 minute bus journey it wouldn't be worthwhile
> really. Ah well here's hoping you can get an emulator for it and play
> them on the PC :-D

Reported.

(:D)

Just joking. Anyhoo, I agree. There are some tob GBA emulators, which I reckon is one of the main reasons why handhelds are so poor, all games are either poor or uninventine, and though that may be combated briefly by the DS, how long will it be before we see a two screen emulator?

PSP emulators will probably reach our shores aronud the same time as the actual console though, so tough on SONY.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.