GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Had to laugh - NDS v PSP ... "past meets future""

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/12/04 at 18:35
"High polygon count"
"One thing is for sure, out of the box, the PSP looks very stylish and is a very well-designed concept. Put it next to the NDS and it feels like one of those visions when past meets future."

[URL]http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3545&likref=alert440[/URL]

This is - believe it or not - the first time I have seen a picture of the NDS, and I have to say it looks (to my tastes, anyway) to have all the style of an 80's mobile.

If the original PS2 was Darth Vader's toaster, then the NDS is C3PO's waffle-maker. :-)
Sat 11/12/04 at 14:42
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
The one thing that I don't get with the PSP is the fact that it's not just a games machine, it does MP3's and other random stuff too.

It's great, but I've got a ZEN to play MP3s and I'm not going to carry a PSP just to listen to music.

Unless I can put songs onto my memory stick and plug it in to play MP3s instead of silly game music? Now that's slightly better but still nothing special.

And the battery life needs to be sorted, have they improved it from the original 10 minutes that was quoted earlier this year?!

"Mostly made of a special plastic with glass effect."

OK, I cannot stress how much this is going to drive people mad! Shiny black plastic is evil as fingerprints show up like anything and you get grease marks everywhere!

My V80 is bad enough, the PSP will be the death of me...
Sat 11/12/04 at 10:11
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Cycloon wrote:
> Oddly enough, I'd rather play something fun than GT4.

Wow, and I thought you'd be buying a DS.

In other news, "chirurgical gloves"?
Fri 10/12/04 at 15:28
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Dringo wrote:
> Oh yeah I always think in terms of market share. That's me alright. I
> like Nintendo after all because they have the largest market share.
> And Metroid Prime was naff because of poor sales.

Yes, you do. It's always 'chart positions this' and 'number of weeks that'.

> Idiot. I haven't got FFI&II and I won't get it. I also hated
> Golden Sun, so I'll only call them a success if they got brilliant
> sales.

OK, so the first quote WASN'T sarcasm? cos if it was... well duhhh.... anyway did I strike a nerve or what?
Fri 10/12/04 at 15:03
"High polygon count"
Coin wrote:
> PSP emulators will probably reach our shores aronud the same time as
> the actual console though, so tough on SONY.

Hmm.

A Commodore 64 or Spectrum emulator I can understand.

An Amiga Emulator I can understand.

A PlayStation emulator I can understand.

But...

A PC emulator for a portable games machine.

Kinda defeats the object, I reckon. Even on a laptop.
Thu 09/12/04 at 22:36
Regular
Darwock wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> Oh yeah Major successes :P
>
> Unlike you Dringo I do not think purely in terms of market shares,
> sales figures and financial performance. I described those games as
> 'successes' because they are very good, and suit the handheld
> platform they are on.

Oh yeah I always think in terms of market share. That's me alright. I like Nintendo after all because they have the largest market share. And Metroid Prime was naff because of poor sales.

Idiot. I haven't got FFI&II and I won't get it. I also hated Golden Sun, so I'll only call them a success if they got brilliant sales.

Pokemon, good handheld game and sold well.
Thu 09/12/04 at 17:35
Regular
"Bicycle"
lalakersrule wrote:
> Can see the point about RPG's, i guess it'd be good for people who
> have to pop on a train every day for a couple of hours but for those
> who only have a 10 minute bus journey it wouldn't be worthwhile
> really. Ah well here's hoping you can get an emulator for it and play
> them on the PC :-D

Reported.

(:D)

Just joking. Anyhoo, I agree. There are some tob GBA emulators, which I reckon is one of the main reasons why handhelds are so poor, all games are either poor or uninventine, and though that may be combated briefly by the DS, how long will it be before we see a two screen emulator?

PSP emulators will probably reach our shores aronud the same time as the actual console though, so tough on SONY.
Thu 09/12/04 at 14:32
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Dringo wrote:
> Oh yeah Major successes :P

Unlike you Dringo I do not think purely in terms of market shares, sales figures and financial performance. I described those games as 'successes' because they are very good, and suit the handheld platform they are on.
Thu 09/12/04 at 14:32
Regular
DS is certainly an ugly beast.

Doesn't really matter though, I'm not looking to sex it.
Thu 09/12/04 at 13:58
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Can see the point about RPG's, i guess it'd be good for people who have to pop on a train every day for a couple of hours but for those who only have a 10 minute bus journey it wouldn't be worthwhile really. Ah well here's hoping you can get an emulator for it and play them on the PC :-D
Thu 09/12/04 at 12:18
Regular
Darwock wrote:

>
> Err. yeah, hence the success of FF 1 & 2 and Golden Sun etc on
> GBA...

Oh yeah Major successes :P

They sold alright but that was to a hardcore fanbase.

Pokemon, that was a major success.

Nintendo DS has sold over 1.2 million worldwide already with a predicted 2 million shipped by Christmas.

Sony will only be releasing 500,000 PSP's in Japan by the end of the year.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.