GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What do you think of my site?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/12/04 at 00:12
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
If you get a chance, take a look.

I've just finished off a little website prototype I've been toying with:
[URL]http://www.yourtrumps.com/button.php?deck_id=11[/URL] - It is basically a game of trump cards. The unique thing being that users can create their own decks.

As for the technical side, it's PHP, MySQL and Flash. I've tried using a bit of CSS, but as I've been using the old fashioned method of tables and 1x1 spacer gif for so long - why break the habit ;-)

If the link's down or slow, it's because it's on my home pc at the moment.
Sat 29/01/05 at 09:47
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
nah - once it's public, you can change it all you like - nothing rude though or I'll have to make it private again!

I like the deck lol.
I'd personally make all the values so that the lowest wins. i.e. the most minging wins. But good work and thanks for trying the site out!
Fri 28/01/05 at 15:14
"Majestic"
Hey Hey! Its on!

If i edit that deck to add more cards, will i need to upload it to the public again, or what ?
Thu 27/01/05 at 14:49
"Majestic"
Just submitted my deck. Hope it goes up! :)
Wed 26/01/05 at 21:05
Regular
"Master Chef - halo"
YAY!!! Thanks most muchly!

I now understand what the arrows mean, the way it was put I didn't fully understand, also I didn't notice that it was next to different categories *feels embarrassed*.
Wed 26/01/05 at 20:20
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Socksy wrote:
> I tried, I got 44 issued after 42.
>

Just for you, I've changed it to 42 :P

As coin mentioned, the arrows are purely there to let people know if they are looking for the highest or lowest values - I got a couple of people wondering why they were loosing when chosing the highest year in the Retro Console deck (lowest year wins) - The arrows were to try and make it clear.
Tue 25/01/05 at 19:51
Regular
"Bicycle"
Arrows mean either - "Better if Higher" or "Better if Lower" - and are aligned with the values on the card.
Tue 25/01/05 at 18:59
Regular
"Master Chef - halo"
I tried, I got 44 issued after 42.

41 was done by my bro, 43 by someother person and 42-no one :(.

MEH.

What exactly do the arrows mean? I tried losing the game and found nothing happened to them :-S...

eh???
Sat 15/01/05 at 18:09
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Well - the site's upto deck number 40.... so if you get your baddies one published, you can then create 2 new private decks, the second of which will be number 42!

When I put the site 'proper' live though - I'll be encryping the URL string completely, so no-one will know the id anyway - apart from you that is ;-)
Sat 15/01/05 at 18:03
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Hmmm other baddies...
There's loads of computer game baddies like Sephiroth in FF7, M Bison in Street Fighter 2 etc. hundreds of those.
Film wise... Agent Smith from the Matrix is my favourite baddy. Jason Vorheese (sp?) in Halloween is pretty evil. The Nazi whos face gets melted at the end of indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark - can't remember the name.
Ummmmm. There's quite a few I'd pick - let me know if you want more suggestions! A few more cards and you'd have a decent deck there.

With regard to browsers...
I can't test in Safari (which would be ideal as it's what mac users have - is that right?), but I'm pretty happy covering firefox and IE at this stage - which must be 90+% of users.

I'm not a fussy or pretty coder - if I were it would have taken forever to get the site up and running. I believe in getting stuff running as quick as possible - seeing if the ideas work - then I haven't wasted time if it's rubbish. If it's actually pretty good, then I can refine it, add browser support etc. as people ask for it / i get time for it.

The next thing I'm going to add is record holders for each deck. Then there's maybe a forum where people can sound out their ideas. The list of things I want to do is huge... i'll get round to the odd person that browses with netscape in the end - after I've done the good bits :-P

Thanks for spreading the word at your school - and I'm gald you like using it! I'm going to move this to my mates dedicated server in the near future, which will see it have increased speed / up time etc. I'll be able to use my home PC as a test machine then - and I'll probably get less lag on Live too :D
Fri 14/01/05 at 21:50
Regular
"Master Chef - halo"
It comes up better in firefox than in safari :S .

I do not like websites that rely on outdated and old technology. All modern and decent browsers have tabs these days anyway...

If the code purely goes with the w3c rethingies then it sohould work in all browsers. Some outrageous restrictions MAY be ignored if you honestly believe browsers such as omniweb, icab, safari, firefox netscape, aol, etc will be able to handle it then try it. If you get complaints the ohwell...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.