GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Future of Retro Gaming !"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/05/01 at 21:39
Regular
The Future of Retro Gaming !

With the Nintendo GameBoyAdvance (GBA) due for release on 22nd of June, we know that the gaming world will soon be changed forever. I played a Japanese GBA last month at a local store who had imported it, and its superb. For me the GBA will mean that the 4 hour bus trip from my university residence to my parents house will fly by. There will be a host of top class titles available at launch including F Zero Advance, MarioKartAdvance and MarioAdvance (I’m particularly looking forward to the latter two as MarioKart on the Snes is one of my all time favourite games and Mario2 my favourite Mario platformer).

So what games would you like to see on the new 32 bit handheld?

Myself I’ld like to see a the return of some of the older classics such as Strider, Cannon Fodder, Sensible World of Soccer, Pinball Illusions, StuntCarRacer, Lemmings, StreetFighter 2, SuperTennis, Nintendo Punchout, and Streets of Rage to name but a few on the GameBoyAdvance.

However what I really want to see is the return of the PlatformArcadeAdventure game such as “Another World” or “FlashBack”, if you’ve ever had the good fortune of playing either of these great games you’ll understand why.

What retro games would you like to see on the GBA and why?
Wed 16/05/01 at 12:54
Sorry I meant your reply to the topic "The Morrigan" started!
Wed 16/05/01 at 11:06
Regular
"not dead"
Me no start E3 topic.

Did I?
Wed 16/05/01 at 11:01
Ive just read some of the E3 predictions in the topic you started Meka, and it seems that Nintendo will have lots of great things to announce. Mainly because its too early for Microsoft to announce news about the X-box and Sony have their own trade show. It should be interesting to see what new games Nintendo have planned for their machines.
Wed 16/05/01 at 08:34
Regular
"not dead"
On the subject of original GBA games, then I believe that RPG fans are in for a few treats. There are a number of original RPG's rumoured to be coming to the GBA.

I'm sure you wouldn't go far wrong by purchasing the new Zelda games, available for the GameBoy Colour, either, as I dont think they'll be released here before the GBA is.

As I only have an original GameBoy, I can't play the new Zelda games, unless I either get a GBC, or a GBA........
Tue 15/05/01 at 18:13
Just in

There are rumours that a new ResidentEvil game may make its way to the GameBoyAdvance, originally Capcom was planning a GameBoy version of a Resi game...but this was canned, probably because the recieved a GameBoyAdvance development kit.

This means eventually a ResidentEvil game may appear on the GameBoyAdvance, hopefully then other playstation games will follow although we will probably have to wait till next year to see them materialise.
Tue 15/05/01 at 13:02
Interesting Question Your Honour, There will certainly be enough games released for the GameBoyAdvance to warrant its own dedicated magazine. Although Nintendo may prefer to have a general magazine that reviews all of Nintendos machines, N64,Gameboy, Gamecube and GameBoyAdvance. I guess well have to wait and see what Nintendo UK decides.
Tue 15/05/01 at 12:37
Regular
I would like to see UniRally on the GBA.

I had hours of fun playing that on my SNES. Anyone know if it will be released or not?

Also, will there be a GBA specific magazine when it comes out? Or will i have to buy a general Nintendo mag?
Tue 15/05/01 at 12:33
Isnt it Ironic Old games till have futures???
Tue 15/05/01 at 11:12
A fair point, but for the moment most games will be modified versions of older games. Mainly because they dont need as much development and so this allows companies to make a quick buck. However this will make it a success initially, and over time more original games will appear on the machine, and so long as the games are playable who cares!

The PS2 had the same problem, initially most of its games were just graphically enhanced older games!
Tue 15/05/01 at 11:06
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Why, all of a sudden, does the GBA have to be a platform for retro games?

I haven't yet heard of a single totally original release for it. It's all very well releaseing old classics.. but the thing is, many of us have played them to death anyway. When the PS2 gets revamped sequels, it's seen as 'dull' and gives gamers nothing new, no great advance - yet the console with 'advance' in it's name is being hailed as a godsend for bringing back revamped half-sequels...

Please, I want to see something I haven't seen before on the GBA. Maybe if it doesn't have the power of the latest consoles, it's more suited to older games, but then again, the original GB had it's fair share of original releases didn't it? It was far less powerful than the consoles of the time.

If all the old SNES games are being done on the GBA, you'd have at least thought the prices would be fairly low, due to the entire design of the game already having been done, with only a few extras needed? Nope, still sky high. So how much are they going to cost when the original games do start to make an appearance? I daren't think about it.

I suppose there's much of the current generation of gamers though, that missed out on the SNES era, so it's arguably good for their sake that all the SNES games are reappearing.

All I know, is that I'm not getting a GBA whilst any games for it are more than £25, and it has no 'must buy' titles exclusive to it, and only it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.