GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is the PC gaming community getting less cerebral?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/12/04 at 23:25
Regular
Humour a geek here, but where are all the simulators? I did a brief search for some Combat Simulators that would push my new PC to the limits, you know the type - 6000 different controls/commands, a completely immersive experience the likes of which used to be very popular.

Now I look on Gamerankings.com to find the best Combat Military Jet Simulator they have rated was made in 1999 or earlier. The one I want - Janes FA/18 which got the most praise is pretty much impossible to find even on ebay. I've ordered Enemy Engaged which sounds pretty good.

What happened to the PC Gamers love affair with the ridiculously complicated simulator? Have our attention spans been reduced to that of dumb beasts, have we the memory of gold fish, have we the memory of gold fish, have our attention spans been reduced to that of dumb beasts, have we the memory of gold fish?

Anyone remember X-Wing or Tie-Fighter? They were bloody amazing. How about a remake now that we have PC's that could create something really special. Frontier Elite 4 anyone?

I'd settle for a ripping submarine or tank sim with a 4000 page operations manual. Microprose, come back, all is forgiven.

Oh and don't suggest Flight Sim 2002 or Train Simulator, that's venturing into the realm of uber-geek. I remember a 'game' on the Spectrum called Lawn Mower Simulator. *shudders*

[S]I had a 200hp rotary
Wed 22/12/04 at 14:58
"I love yo... lamp."
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:

> Oh, and the FA22 Raptor flew into space with the Hulk clinging on to
> it, so it must be better. :D

YF-23 was faster and had diamond shaped wings. It was more of a political decision I think to go with the Raptor, because I don't know how you can base a decision worth billions of dollars on bomb release catches that stick a bit. I mean come on, surely they could have used proper ones on production models, or sprayed lots of WD40 on them or something.

What pitiful excuses.
Wed 22/12/04 at 11:22
Regular
"Captain to you."
Pandaemonium wrote:

> Brilliant games, although I don't see how they can be classed as
> simulators. Considering the actual things are small models, perhaps
> trying to squeeze yourself into a 3inch x 3inch plastic box would be
> closer to the experience. ;P

What they are perfect simulations i saw some dude in a x-wing on tv and the game looked just like it. :D
Wed 22/12/04 at 11:08
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> I feel it's a travesty that this game was clearly overlooked by so
> many, and of course there was the predecessor X-Wing, the sequel
> X-Wing vs Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance.
>
> Definitely some of the best simulators ever made, although they look
> a bit dated now, and won't work on XP dammit.

Brilliant games, although I don't see how they can be classed as simulators. Considering the actual things are small models, perhaps trying to squeeze yourself into a 3inch x 3inch plastic box would be closer to the experience. ;P

[URL]http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~martins/orbit/orbit.html[/URL]

A frightningly complex space travel simulator. May not be what you're looking for, but might be worth a look.
Wed 22/12/04 at 08:37
Regular
"Captain to you."
cipro wrote:

> A recent successor was also release, Pacific Fighters.

I had a look and i am getting it today :D
Thanks for the info.
Wed 22/12/04 at 00:23
Regular
cipro wrote:
> [URL]http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/home.php?skin=S2[/URL]

I saw that actually, but was after a modern combat jet sim. Still, may give it a look as doesn't look too bad.
Wed 22/12/04 at 00:21
Regular
I feel it's a travesty that this game was clearly overlooked by so many, and of course there was the predecessor X-Wing, the sequel X-Wing vs Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance.

Definitely some of the best simulators ever made, although they look a bit dated now, and won't work on XP dammit.
Tue 21/12/04 at 19:17
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
TIE fighter!!! Wow, that was one of my first ever PC games;
amazing,
and so is he who knows this game,
even more so he who has played it,
and he who speaks of the glory of TIE fighter,
is to be forever regarded as a guardian of the ancient secrets of the dawn of the PC as a gaming machine.

That would be Borat and myself then...

Anyone remember Magic Carpet? <-- Sort of flight simulatory
Or Syndicate wars? <- Thats the nostalgia taking over
Tue 21/12/04 at 15:07
Regular
"A man with a stick"
[URL]http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/home.php?skin=S2[/URL]

This is one of the more populat flight sims about, it's on budget as well and has a huge community that adds loads of new content.

A recent successor was also release, Pacific Fighters, so there is still some life left in flight sims, just not as much as there has been.
Tue 21/12/04 at 01:56
Regular
"The Red Shift"
My friend's brother used to have loads of these games and a computer in his room. Needless to say he spent many a day in there. His psycho step dad was a plane freak too, so he fuelled his obsession with money and games.

I had a couple of goes and got into it, as far as I loved to Kamikaze into things, take off almost vertically and just generally mess around and pretend to fly.

Those games definitely had their place on the pc.
Tue 21/12/04 at 01:49
Regular
My friend's dad is a pilot and my friend himself was flying planes when he was 10. He had all the flight sims and s**tuff, and proper mocked up cockpit controls and s**tuff.

I tried it once, I was flying alone (after he took off for me) and decided I would turn right. I push right on the joys**tick and what happened? The plane carried on flying forwards, whils**t rotating clockwise. Try as I might it would never turn, only rotate.

Then I s**tabbed myself in the hand with a compass and vowed never to 'play' this sh*t again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.