GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SSC16 - Hero"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/12/04 at 14:23
Regular
"Well, he certainly isn't the cleverest of folk." An old man once told me.

"Some even say he was dropped on his head as a child. Some folks are cruel like that." He'd continue.

"But I suppose we have to rely on him now. The lad has a pure heart, even if he is lacking where it matters." The man would chuckle.

"Let's just say we're getting ready for a long, cold winter up here."

This boy had a duty. To become a man, to return from his impending journey with food for the bitter winter that is about to befell the humble village. Once every 100 years the great storm comes to pass, and the next in line for the thrown must provide for his people.

He knew not that his actions could determine the lives of hundreds of his people. He was too naive to understand the scope of what he had to do. To him it was an adventure. His mother tried to tell him of the dangers that littered the lands, but each letter that left her lips would weave their way around his brain and come straight out of the other end.

"Monty," His mother began.

"You know that this is very important, don't you?" The boy was too busy eating his final meal before the journey to give a response.

"I just want to know that, no matter of the outcome, we will always love you." The boy couldn't understand her, so continued his food, again with no response.

Hi mother knew that he couldn't bring anyone or anything to help him. She would worry day and night, thinking of some way to get Monty out of such a responsibility, but she always knew what he had to do. There was no escaping the inevitable.

Once he had cleared his plate, he was readied to set off. His mother spoke her gentle goodbyes, but the boy was far too excited to listen. The chill was beginning, but he couldn't feel it, even his bare feet seemed as warm as they ever had been. He would begin on the path that many legends had took before him, the last thing he saw as he turned back to take one look at the village the held so close to his heart was his mother, waving enthusiastically to him. He saw a glint in her eye as a tear rolled down her cheek, but he put it down the cold weather.

He merrily made his way through the tall blades of grass arced over the worn-in pathway. He knew not where he was headed, but the feeling of grass brushing past his feet was enough to tell him he was on the right track.

Shortly after he set off the boy came across a large pond. Not light blue, but a deep purple, shimmering in the moonlight that was getting higher in the sky. He sat at the waters edge and placed his muddy feet into the sparkling body. As his toes hit the surface, the liquid began to fizz, washing the dirt from his skin and soothing him too. He had only heard of such places in fables, the revitalising lakes that were said to appear once every blue moon. Alas, the orb in the sky shone a bright blue.

The boy brought his feet to dry land once again, somehow completely dry and once again full of warmth. He noticed his feet were bronze on the heels, he looked down to see a strip, following the waters edge. A worn and rusty pipe gripping the land and pond at once, ending just in the wake of the pipe's origin, decayed at the end and leaking a purple gas into the sky, that would easily seem invisible was there not a bright moon hung up with the stars. The reason for the pipe was lost on the boys mind, as he scanned the area further. As he stared deep into his reflection, he noticed something at the bed of the small lake. A large sea clamp, bigger than four or five of his people put together. It lay at bottom of the pool, occasionally snapping closed and forcing bubbles ponds brim, before floating beyond the surface, creating a beautiful aura.

The boy stood open-mouthed at the bubbles being carried off to the sky in amazement. Never had he seen such natural beauty in his life. He looked back down at the creature and noticed something as its jaws opened; the biggest, tastiest looking muscle he ever had seen. Surely that could feed his people for some time. His eyes were shining as he glared at his now prized-possession.

"It's so beautiful..." The boy mumbled to himself.

"Bu... should I...?" He carried on, speaking only to himself.

He stood for several moments, watching the shell clamp shut and open once again, over and over.

He finally decided to move on, the job of getting such an object was too great for him.

As he strolled, thinking about the muscle he just passed by, a white flake fell onto his forehead. Perfectly formed, like a star dropping from the black sky. He wiped it from his head as several more began to rain down on the land. He hurried his pace a little along the pathway, but still as jolly and warm as he was when he left his home. Whilst off from the path, the boy took shelter from the frost in a nearby forest. As dark as it was, it was truly a thing of beauty.

The boy glanced around his surroundings, and found something that was truly gifted to him. Four large eggs sat in front of him, he knew what were resting inside of them as well. An unnamed creature from the forest that grew the size of houses if fed properly. Surely if his people nurtured them, they could have food all-year round? The boy pulled some shoots from the ground and used them to tie the eggs to his back.

As he was leaving the darkness of the forest, he heard a growl echo from behind him. He was always taught that noises in the night were nothing more than his imagination, so carried on regardless. He heard footsteps in his wake, so began to steadily speed up. He wasn't taking any chances, despite what he was told when he was younger; those eggs did belong to someone after all.

Once he reached the pool again, he crouched to the ground facing where he came from, waiting to see if anything was on his tail. Just as he was about to get to his feet and carry on, a huge beast, probably the mother of the eggs he had strapped to his back, came hurtling towards him. As it came close it tried to halt, but the fresh snow caused it to slip, sliding straight towards the purple water ahead. As it hit the surface, the splash reached high up to the heavens.

The creature travelled quickly down to the bottom of the water, landing on the shell below with great force. As the beast floated on past the sea clamp, it revealed a great crack through its centre, and the frequent bubbles stopped. The muscle that the boy had dreamed about bringing home then floated to the surface, bobbing slowly closer to him.

The boy unstrapped the eggs from his back and placed them carefully in the long grass. He kneeled there, shivering from the cold at the waters edge, reaching towards the muscle with all his might...

No one knows how the food came to appear at the village’s gates, nor do they know what happened to the young boy. Some say they saw his smiling face carved in the eggs, but that was put down to nothing more than urban myth.

"Monty was his name…." The old man told me.

"Truly a brave soul if there ever was one. We never had any doubt he could come through for his people." The tale continued.

"Some say he sits in the sky next to the stars, still watching down on us, ready to return if danger ever faces our village again." The man stated.

"We always knew he was a hero..."
Fri 07/01/05 at 19:40
Regular
"A Paladin with a PH"
Hohum. Maybe a fantasy story or video game alike creation, or maybe...surreal. Or maybe not. Lots of interesting ideas about it, but, depending on which way you read it, there are many errors.

As has already been said, the linking is reasonably dire, and it reads a bit like a Norse legend, which was acceptable a few thousand years ago, but not now. I'm bound to contradict this with a story of my own some day, but till then I stand by that.

I love Norse legends by the way-If you called yourself Grunhild or something I'd be well convinced.
Thu 06/01/05 at 15:29
"period drama"
Rickoss wrote:
> Hopefully the next topic won't be rubbish.

Shush
Thu 06/01/05 at 15:28
"period drama"
A bit ... I dunno, loose.
The different parts weren't linked together that well, and some bit just confused me as to what you were describing exactly.
Tue 04/01/05 at 18:03
Regular
Hype is a horrible thing.

Hopefully the next topic won't be rubbish.

:D
Tue 04/01/05 at 13:19
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Hmm

Brigadoon meets The Hobbit meets Video game.

Not sure what to make of that. It was a pleasing enough read, quite enjoyable really but way below your usual offerings. I reckon you just wanted to get this one out of the way in anticipation of the 'one'.

You know. The ONE. The story which is already written and waiting for you to post and put us all once again in awe :D
Wed 22/12/04 at 16:58
Regular
I actually pictured it dwarfed when I was writing it, if you know what I mean, but that was just the picture in my mind and didn't really want to make anything of it. :D
Wed 22/12/04 at 15:46
"possibly impossible"
I thought it was quite sweet, but it lacked something towards the end. For some reason I thought it was going to be about tiny people and you were going to suddenly show that they were in a carpet or a back garden (the pond being a footspa and the eggs being from fleas or something). Perhaps I´ve read too many children´s fantasy stories!
Tue 21/12/04 at 18:41
Regular
"Catch it!"
Ok mate I thought it was a really good story.
Tue 21/12/04 at 18:37
Regular
Black Glove wrote:
> It has some nice flavours, but it kinda reminds me of a videogame
> story, if you know what I mean.

Well that's what happens when you play too many games. :D

It was meant to read like a childrens story, but it seems it fails. Didn't want to go for a serious storyline, more of a fable of sorts. Hopefully the entry I've got ready shall be good, and shall get me back on track.
Tue 21/12/04 at 18:34
Regular
"Catch it!"
Yeah I do!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.