GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony HI-MD"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/12/04 at 17:26
"possibly impossible"
So, anyone got one of those new HI-MD Minidisc players?

If so, perhaps you could help me decide whether to get one (over, say, an ipod imitation).

-What is the actual playing time with the battery? (they're never as quoted).

-How easy is it to scroll through albums and get the tracks you want when you have 40 odd albums on your mini-disc.

-Can you save Mp3's to normal minidisc as well on this machine. If so, how much do they store?

I was going down the route of solid state MP3 for a long time, but seeing the 1 Gig MD player, I feel that this is what I need.
Fri 17/12/04 at 20:19
Regular
"The definitive tag"
They are really good machines. The hi-md disc can hold over 46 hours of music when you record on the lowest transfer rate and the difference in sound quality is barely noticeable. They can also play standard minidiscs and mp3's can be recorded onto the discs. Battery life with the rechargeable battery isn't as good as I would have liked but its good enough.
Mon 13/12/04 at 23:51
Regular
"I'm Great."
Thank you PB. I do likes the looks of it. Think I will pick one up after christmas. I don't want anything too flashy. Just something that will play music well on the move and provide a decent sound. Looks like this could do the job.
Mon 13/12/04 at 23:18
"possibly impossible"
or†ega wrote:
> > although might as well get one of these at that price
>

Nah, I don't have enough albums to fill that and a couple of 1 Gig discs will be enough for me anyway. Besides, I'd feel slightly better with a sub £200 machine in my pocket.

As for the higher models, they don't do much more than the lower one, just longer battery life (from a rechargable source, so a pain when going abroad, rather than the smaller one using 1 AA) and recording from Line-in source (which I will never use).
Mon 13/12/04 at 22:34
"slightlyshortertagl"
or†ega wrote:
> [URL]http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006OQZNG/qid%3D1102976562/026-2887504-2602000[/URL]

'This item is due to be released on December 20, 2004. You may order it now and we will dispatch it to you when we receive it from our supplier. Please note that release dates are subject to change.'

That's the one Sony, release it 5 days before Christmas, so nobody has the chance to know what it is so they can't put it on their XMas lists.

Genius marketing there.

:|
Mon 13/12/04 at 22:28
Regular
Thought so - ah well, I managed to buy a large stock of blank MDs from Sainsburys just after I left them when they tried to tell me that £3 off of £10 was half price.

Managed to get them at £3 a pack of five with a proper storage case...each in the end after I told them my consumer rights and pointed out all their mistakes. (labelling, pricing, etc)
Mon 13/12/04 at 22:26
Regular
Edgy wrote:
> I'm guessing Hi-MDs wont run on a standard MD hi-fi and
> walkman...though that in itself is a stupid thing for me to ask...I'm
> guessing.

It's like trying to play a PS2 game on a PS1 I'd guess.
Mon 13/12/04 at 22:24
Regular
Ah, was wonderning why it was so cheap. bottom of the range!

If i did get one of those it would be one of these. [URL]http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/dyn_imgs/prods/prod_large/200069.jpg[/URL]

Your gonna keep it for quite a while so might as well get the best!

although might as well get one of these at that price

[URL]http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006OQZNG/qid%3D1102976562/026-2887504-2602000[/URL]
Mon 13/12/04 at 22:18
Regular
I'm guessing Hi-MDs wont run on a standard MD hi-fi and walkman...though that in itself is a stupid thing for me to ask...I'm guessing.
Mon 13/12/04 at 22:17
Regular
Doesnt the quality fall when you record in these long play modes?

price is quite good though, and gotta love that battery life.
Mon 13/12/04 at 22:12
"possibly impossible"
Cid Vilante wrote:
> Any chance of a link to one of these HI-MD player please, PB?

Your wish is my command*
[URL]http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/192.html[/URL]

*obviously, only if you wish for a link to a website, I'm not a bloody genie...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.