GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Generals"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Command & Conquer: Generals'.
Fri 17/12/04 at 01:15
Regular
Just got it, walked through most of the USA campaign on hard and am halfway through the chinese. But how do you initiate dog-fights between your planes?

Is it just a case of putting them on guard, or do you have to actually select the plane you want to attack?

Excellent though, especially with the sound turned right up, it's like world war 3 at my house at the moment.

Oh, and can you switch off superweapons on skirmish? I always find them to be a pain - it's less a matter of who is the more skilled as who can build a nuke site first and press a big red button.

I hope they keep the series going, I haven't found a game that betters the C&C series at RTS.
Fri 17/12/04 at 01:15
Regular
Just got it, walked through most of the USA campaign on hard and am halfway through the chinese. But how do you initiate dog-fights between your planes?

Is it just a case of putting them on guard, or do you have to actually select the plane you want to attack?

Excellent though, especially with the sound turned right up, it's like world war 3 at my house at the moment.

Oh, and can you switch off superweapons on skirmish? I always find them to be a pain - it's less a matter of who is the more skilled as who can build a nuke site first and press a big red button.

I hope they keep the series going, I haven't found a game that betters the C&C series at RTS.
Fri 17/12/04 at 01:22
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
There is a new Red Alert game currently in development.
Fri 17/12/04 at 02:48
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Well I was very bitter that westwood studios was dissolved into the encreeping mass of substandard gaming that is EA. I did spend ages looking through the generals manual hoping to find some sort of Westwood studios involvement... but alas all I found was tiny side note: "Based on the Command and Conquer series by westwood studios"

Man the original C&C and Tiberian Sun holds teenage sentimental value for me...

*Feels eyes getting moist*

That is all
Fri 17/12/04 at 08:16
Regular
Awesome game, not quite Red Alert 2 but all the same it kicks serious ass. The music has always rocked for the C&C games so like you said, pump up the volume and chill out, really enjoyable game.

The Total War series is up there with it but collectively it is my second favourite game series behind Metal Gear.
Fri 17/12/04 at 09:00
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Never really go into any C&C game past Tiberian Sun. Oh, apart from Dune Emporer, but thats simply because of the universe its set in.
Fri 17/12/04 at 11:29
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I can remember playing Dune 2 when it came out (Westwood's first RTS), the game that inspired me to buy a PC. I tried so hard to like Dune Emperor, excellent background story coupled with substandard RTS though.
Fri 17/12/04 at 11:31
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Garin wrote:
> I can remember playing Dune 2 when it came out (Westwood's first RTS),
> the game that inspired me to buy a PC. I tried so hard to like Dune
> Emperor, excellent background story coupled with substandard RTS
> though.

Aye, I played it on Amiga. Four 3 inch floppies. Good times. It's curious that no RTS has came close to matching the enjoyment I had with this game.
Fri 17/12/04 at 12:10
Regular
"Touched!"
I really enjoyed Generals, spent many hours on the multiplayer side, didn't really spend much time on the single player mode, can't wait for the next Red Alert game.
Sat 18/12/04 at 12:57
Regular
I used to play Red Alert on the original playstation, linked to a mates, for ridiculous amounts of time.

I remember one particular session where it got to 5 in the morning as we played co-operatively to wipe out all the AI players, then built bases that could withstand anything. Just before we were about to start fighting each other, a war that would have been the war to end all wars, the playstations crashed. good times ...

Red Alert 2 on the PC must rate as my most played game of all time, Generals is pretty much the same game only with better AI and superb graphics and sound. EA have done Westwood proud in my opinion, and I can't wait for the newest installment of the series.

The only other RTS game I avidly follow is Settlers, although that's a bit different.
Sat 18/12/04 at 22:55
Regular
Personally I found Red Alert 2 more enjoyable.

I loved the stories that were built up in the cutscenes though. That's the one major thing Generals lacked.

For example, Shepard's anger at those "NOD B'tards" and the way Stalins generals went up in the ranks in Red Alert played by Kane's mindtricks. They weren't quite so good in the second generation of the series. Kane hadn't aged a bit between the two games and didn't make an appearance in Red Alert 2 (despite being the reason Stalin dies if you completed the Russian campaign).

Nice to see if based on more realism though than sci-fi futuristic 'Total Annihilation' style RTS or psychic-controlled beings with flying saucers...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.