GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My Xbox has died...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/12/04 at 19:16
Regular
Yup. Turned it one today and it just clicks, sounding like the HDD is knackered, then an error message comes up and it says to contact customer services.

I go it three days after launch, so I'm well out of the warrenty. Perhaps I shouldn't have told customer services that...

They say it'll cost 78 quid to either send it back and try and fix it, possibly losing my game saves in the progress (Halfway through Halo 2 and Fable - gah!), or there'll just send me a brand new console, for the same 78 quid, definitely losing my game saves.

Anyone had anything like this happen to them? Is there anyway of getting a free console somehow? Is there a way of fixing it, installing a new HDD somehow?
Sun 19/12/04 at 19:16
Regular
Yup. Turned it one today and it just clicks, sounding like the HDD is knackered, then an error message comes up and it says to contact customer services.

I go it three days after launch, so I'm well out of the warrenty. Perhaps I shouldn't have told customer services that...

They say it'll cost 78 quid to either send it back and try and fix it, possibly losing my game saves in the progress (Halfway through Halo 2 and Fable - gah!), or there'll just send me a brand new console, for the same 78 quid, definitely losing my game saves.

Anyone had anything like this happen to them? Is there anyway of getting a free console somehow? Is there a way of fixing it, installing a new HDD somehow?
Sun 19/12/04 at 19:22
Regular
"Im a Daddy :-)"
Dont do anything with it!!! This very same thing happend to my release day xbox just the other month. I tried to get it working for a few days but then give up and left it on the shelf. A couple of weeks later I pluged it back in and it worked as good as it did on the first day. Give it a while and see what happens.

+ when it started working again all the saves were still there!
Sun 19/12/04 at 19:29
Regular
"\\"
Your Honour wrote:
> (Halfway through Halo 2 and Fable - gah!)

So you've just about watched the intro for each of the games then?
Sun 19/12/04 at 19:40
Regular
When you get the error what number comes up on the top left corner?
Sun 19/12/04 at 19:56
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yeah, mine's just started to get tempremental on me, takes an age to load anything and will happily just say "bad disk".
I'm going to throw a CDlens cleaner thing at it, see if that helps
Sun 19/12/04 at 20:41
Regular
This might help you, Goatboy:
[URL] http://tinyurl.com/5g2ep [/URL]
Sun 19/12/04 at 22:45
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
If you fit a modchip you can change the hard drive, its a lengthy and complicated process though.
Sun 19/12/04 at 22:50
Regular
I have simliar problems with loading sometimes, the drive also makes some really strange noises like the disc's jumping around inside.

Only had my 'Box for a year and a half.
Sun 19/12/04 at 23:29
Regular
Build quality is not a priority of modern console designers it seems. I've had a PS2 and an XBOX die on me.
Sun 19/12/04 at 23:39
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> Build quality is not a priority of modern console designers it seems.
> I've had a PS2 and an XBOX die on me.

Yes, it's because its cheaper for them to use poor quality components and have a known percentage fail than to use good quality components in the first place.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.