GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My Xbox has died...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/12/04 at 19:16
Regular
Yup. Turned it one today and it just clicks, sounding like the HDD is knackered, then an error message comes up and it says to contact customer services.

I go it three days after launch, so I'm well out of the warrenty. Perhaps I shouldn't have told customer services that...

They say it'll cost 78 quid to either send it back and try and fix it, possibly losing my game saves in the progress (Halfway through Halo 2 and Fable - gah!), or there'll just send me a brand new console, for the same 78 quid, definitely losing my game saves.

Anyone had anything like this happen to them? Is there anyway of getting a free console somehow? Is there a way of fixing it, installing a new HDD somehow?
Sat 25/12/04 at 15:37
Regular
I know it's Christmas and I'm supposed to be nice an' all but you're an exception to those rules, you complete fcukwit.
Sat 25/12/04 at 15:30
Regular
"Gamertag Number 10"
My xbox is the newest console it's crystal and i got guarante for three years, The console features more than 50,000 block you can save oringinal music discs or game save no need for memory card, Like PS2 says please insert you playstation 2 memory card, Xbox is the best for every gamer. Nice 'n' Cool.
Thu 23/12/04 at 20:40
Regular
"Prefers Tesis"
R.I.P XBOX.
Thu 23/12/04 at 14:37
Regular
It's worked fine since, so hopefully it won't happen again....
Thu 23/12/04 at 13:32
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Cleaned mine with standard lens cleaner, works a treat
Mon 20/12/04 at 18:36
Regular
Thing is, turned in on this evening, and it worked fine.

Have backed up my important saves onto a memory card just in case I need to get a new one at some point. But it seems it's ok at the moment...
Mon 20/12/04 at 14:50
Regular
07 kernel HDD timeout

I have no idea what this means, but that's whats wrong :)

Try opening the xbox, pulling out the cables and plugging them back in. Works sometimes.
Mon 20/12/04 at 12:32
Regular
Cycloon wrote:
> I had to buy myself a new DVD drive and replace it all by my lonesome.

Replacing an Xbox HDD is a little more trickier than that :P

YH, if you wanted to change the HDD, you'd have to chip the Xbox too - once the original HDD is disconnected, it becomes 'unlocked' and you can't lock a HDD without chipping or working at MS.

In this situation I'm afraid you are highly unlikely to keep your saves, no matter what method you choose. Just buy a new one - at least you'll get a shiny new warranty.
Mon 20/12/04 at 12:27
Regular
"Gamertag Number 10"
Hy when my playstation 2 the laser wasn't working proper, I got back to the shop then they said they will send my ps2 and sony entertainment they said i will get a new sony ps2, I got my ps2 after 2 months the box was sealed beacuse it's new.
Mon 20/12/04 at 12:07
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I had to buy myself a new DVD drive and replace it all by my lonesome.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.