GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm at my wits end. ADSL help"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/12/04 at 22:01
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Right. Startup. Connected. Load steam. Try to connect to a server. Refuses. Click randomly for 5 minutes on the server list, ****** off that I can't get onto the one my mates are on. Sometimes get through to a german server, more often than not. Quit steam.

Internet connection gone. start -> run -> cmd -> "ping www.google.co.uk -t"
nothing happens for a few minutes (returning to dos prompt), until "connection timed out" appears.
"ping www.google.co.uk -t". sometimes replies for 5 - 6 times, then times out again.

Keep watching for sometimes 10 minutes, replies < 32ms. Ok. Sometimes times out again.

This is infuriating. I cannot play ANYTHING online. Starwars Battlefront does exactly the same thing.

Sygate personal pro, avast antivirus, bt yahoo 1mb, adsl 205 voyager modem.

Does ANYONE have any idea what the hell is going on here.

It. Is. Driving. Me. Absolutely. Mental.

Whats a waste of cash. All I can do without problems is browse chatrooms. Great.
Fri 03/12/04 at 21:17
Regular
"Bicycle"
:D
Fri 03/12/04 at 20:46
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Coin wrote:
> Glad your good to go.
>
> [S]Wish I was.[/S]

??? in what way are you not?

realises Coin said try without the firewall. Sorry, tought you meant software one. I didn't realise that the 205 had a ***** hardware one. :D
Fri 03/12/04 at 20:39
Regular
"Bicycle"
Glad your good to go.

[S]Wish I was.[/S]
Fri 03/12/04 at 20:24
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Garin wrote:
> For things such as this you should have a look at your modem
> settings. Just had a quick look at the spec of your modem, it does
> have a built in firewall. I've no idea how configurable it is, but
> its possible its doing things like rejecting incoming connections,
> not responding to pings and various other stuff you can configure on
> firewalls.

Garin, your a star.

Fixed.

Open Firefox
Enter address http://voyager.home/
Click “advanced” x2
Username “admin”
Password “admin”
Click “Security”
Click “Intrusion protection” at the top
Click “Disable”
Click “save”

And that’s it. Hardware firewall disabled, can connect to each and every cs server with spaces free.

Top marks. This has been driving me MENTAL.

(Sorry, text cut from a word doc with pics for anothe lad having the same problems. And I'm lightly refreshed.)
Fri 03/12/04 at 18:09
Regular
End any dodgy processes, Spyware scan or Virus scan.
Check that your firewall isnt blocking Steam. Do you have SP2? Whats your OS?
Fri 03/12/04 at 13:27
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> With it happening on SW : Battlefront, I'm not sure. I can connect to
> Deathmatch classic, half life and opposing force fine.
>
> Might just be the steam servers, but it's damn frustrating when all
> your mates are playing in a private server, and you're the only one
> who can't connect. Quitting steam and loosing my internet connection
> for anything up to 15 minutes (or a restart) is infuriating too.

For things such as this you should have a look at your modem settings. Just had a quick look at the spec of your modem, it does have a built in firewall. I've no idea how configurable it is, but its possible its doing things like rejecting incoming connections, not responding to pings and various other stuff you can configure on firewalls.
Fri 03/12/04 at 12:34
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Nimco wrote:
> Are you sure it's something your end and not the Steam servers being
> overloaded?

With it happening on SW : Battlefront, I'm not sure. I can connect to Deathmatch classic, half life and opposing force fine.

Might just be the steam servers, but it's damn frustrating when all your mates are playing in a private server, and you're the only one who can't connect. Quitting steam and loosing my internet connection for anything up to 15 minutes (or a restart) is infuriating too.

I'm sending them an email tonight (which I HAVE to send from home. Wonderful way of doing things is my internet connection is down eh?) and see what they say.
Fri 03/12/04 at 12:19
Regular
"NULL"
Are you sure it's something your end and not the Steam servers being overloaded?
Fri 03/12/04 at 11:11
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Speed test is fine. 1007 download (+350 after removing yahoos stinky software) so the connection is fine. It's *specifically* trying to connect to online gaming servers.
I didn't know about those other tools, so I'll give it a try. Cheers.
Fri 03/12/04 at 10:50
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
For a start I'd try to verify its not something external to you like the line and/or internet connection.
Try the speed test here, http://adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp
That one won't tell you an awful lot I think though.
Next try here, http://www.broadbandreports.com/tools (you need to register to be able to use any of the tools on this site but its free)
Try the line packet loss testing and see what results you get. You can also try the tweak test as it check common TCP settings.

At a guess I'd be more inclined to say the problem is the modem though.
BT's voyager modems have quite a poor reputation in regards to reliability.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.