GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best Director of All-Time"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 01/12/04 at 13:32
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
Hitchcock?
Tarantino?
Spielberg?
Kubric?
Scorcese?
Someone else?

Debate here.
Wed 01/12/04 at 19:13
Regular
"Prefers Tesis"
Grëén ƒérð¢it¥ wrote:
> Who I think is in with a shout:
>
> How about takeshi kitano? Sonatine and violent cop are amazing imho.
> Not to mention hana bi and boiling point.
>
> Also takeshi miike has made some decent movies. Ichi the killer
> anyone? Fudoh, full metal goku? All incredible movies.
>
> Another fairly groundbreaking director is Herman Yau. His films like
> the untold story were the first to push onscreen violence to the
> absolute repulsive limits. With movies such as the untold story.
>
> Then theirs some very good italian directors. Who produced some
> amazing horror movies in the mid seventies and eighties. These
> include Ruggero deodado. Cannibal holocaust, cannibal ferox etc.
> Dario argento. Still the best horror movie maker ever. Suspirias a
> masterpiece. Then lastly theirs the legendary Lucio Fulci. He has
> made probably the sickest, most badly acted horror films ever. Yet
> they are still great. Zombi and city of the living dead are great
> showcases.
>
> Though topping the bill in the gory horror stakes has to be Joe
> D'amadato. Beyond the darkness is a genuinly disturbing horror movie.
> Its even fairly well acted. Save for the dire dub track. Repulsive
> scenes include necrophilia, skinning and eye gouging. Lovely :)
>
> Then their obviously Tarantino. The most stylish director ever. His
> innovation and general coolness seem limitless. He's certainly the
> best hollywood director out there.

I suppose your right tilta, about fulci and deodado. Their films are terrible but entertaining. I know that they cannot stand up against the best directors. Silly of me :) I just got carried away :)
Also I wasn't saying that onscreen violence makes a director good, it just makes them groundbreaking and daring. Although I have to disagree with you about takeshi miike. He is a stunning director imho. I was also taking into consideration these directors budgets. Ichi the killer and most of the movies I mentioned were made on a miniscule budget. Not 300,000,000 or some ridiculous hollywood figure.

Anyway, thoughts on David Cronenberg? And Gasper Knole (or however its spelt)?
Wed 01/12/04 at 18:49
Regular
"That's right!"
James Cameron wins it for me, and I have to admit, I like most of Bay's films one way or another.

"Although I have just remembered about Alien 3, but that wasn't his fault."

The special edition is your friend, Snuggly, have you watched it yet? Made the film watchable at least and rather good at best.
Wed 01/12/04 at 18:35
Regular
Tarantino's another one who's very badly overrated.
Wed 01/12/04 at 18:13
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Miike's an upcoming talent but certainly can't be ranked alongside
> the greats. Same goes for Kitano, good but not one of the greats.
> Never heard of the other Jap you listed, I lost intrest in all that
> jap Hardocre horror nonsense a while ago.

I agree. A capacity for portraying violence noes not a great director make.

Marc Caro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet are also great directors, even though they've only made a limited number of movies together. Jeunets new one looks amazing.
Wed 01/12/04 at 17:38
Regular
Deodato and Fulci are 2 of the worst directors I've ever laid eyes on. Doesn't take anything away from their films though as they're still very entertaining, but to call either of them the 'best director ever' would be like calling Graham Norton the straighest guy ever.

Fulci was the worst of the 2. There's no real formula to his films, there's so many random things that are totally under explainable and make no sense. His dialogue is laughable, the only thing in his films that really stands out is the insane attention to detail on the gore.

Miike's an upcoming talent but certainly can't be ranked alongside the greats. Same goes for Kitano, good but not one of the greats. Never heard of the other Jap you listed, I lost intrest in all that jap Hardocre horror nonsense a while ago.
Wed 01/12/04 at 17:07
Regular
"Prefers Tesis"
Who I think is in with a shout:

How about takeshi kitano? Sonatine and violent cop are amazing imho. Not to mention hana bi and boiling point.

Also takeshi miike has made some decent movies. Ichi the killer anyone? Fudoh, full metal goku? All incredible movies.

Another fairly groundbreaking director is Herman Yau. His films like the untold story were the first to push onscreen violence to the absolute repulsive limits. With movies such as the untold story.

Then theirs some very good italian directors. Who produced some amazing horror movies in the mid seventies and eighties. These include Ruggero deodado. Cannibal holocaust, cannibal ferox etc. Dario argento. Still the best horror movie maker ever. Suspirias a masterpiece. Then lastly theirs the legendary Lucio Fulci. He has made probably the sickest, most badly acted horror films ever. Yet they are still great. Zombi and city of the living dead are great showcases.

Though topping the bill in the gory horror stakes has to be Joe D'amadato. Beyond the darkness is a genuinly disturbing horror movie. Its even fairly well acted. Save for the dire dub track. Repulsive scenes include necrophilia, skinning and eye gouging. Lovely :)

Then their obviously Tarantino. The most stylish director ever. His innovation and general coolness seem limitless. He's certainly the best hollywood director out there.
Wed 01/12/04 at 16:19
Regular
James Cameron is a favourite. Fincher's Fight Club impressed the hell out of me, but I haven't seen Se7en for ages.
Wed 01/12/04 at 14:53
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Fincher did incredibly well with the botch job of a script he was given.
Wed 01/12/04 at 14:52
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Erm
Wed 01/12/04 at 14:50
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Honestly? I've never seen a David Fincher movie I didn't love. He's pretty much the only director out there who has a 100% excellent track record in my book. Although I have just remembered about Alien 3, but that wasn't his fault.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.