GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half life 2 demo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Mon 20/12/04 at 21:59
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
"Half-Life 2 Demo Released
December 20, 2004, 11:29 am · cliffe
A free demo of Half-Life 2 has been released. Featuring some of the amazing digital actors and physical gameplay that has made Half-Life 2 the leading contender for Game of the Year 2004, the demo takes players through some of the early levels of the game and later transports them to the area of the game known as Ravenholm. The demo is available at ATI.com and requires a Steam account to install."

Why on earth is a steam account needed to install a demo?!?!?!?! That's utter stupidity.
Wed 09/02/05 at 16:43
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Valve really should have put as much effort into making Steam work as they did developing Half Life 2.
Tue 08/02/05 at 19:08
Regular
I somehow doubt that. and if it does, it'll look awful.
Tue 08/02/05 at 19:06
Regular
"Im a Daddy :-)"
I just had another go. The timer was gaoing the wrong way! from 302mins to 476mins. I hear that its going to be out on xbox sooner then that.....
Tue 08/02/05 at 16:06
Regular
"gsybe you!"
My Steam's packed up completly now.

Hooray.
Tue 08/02/05 at 11:46
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Indeed.
I thought my head was going to explode trying to do it via dialup modem.
Took 4hrs from buying to actually starting play, much fingernail pulling and headsmashing on desks.
Tue 08/02/05 at 11:42
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Goatboy wrote:
> Somebody made a good point about Steam. If it wasn't essential for
> Half-Life 2 then there would've been mass outrage in the gaming press
> and probably a boycott, or at least crippingly small sales.

Yeah, I would have given up on the installation if it was any other game. Unfortunatley, it was worth the hassle.
Tue 08/02/05 at 11:36
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Somebody made a good point about Steam. If it wasn't essential for Half-Life 2 then there would've been mass outrage in the gaming press and probably a boycott, or at least crippingly small sales.
Tue 08/02/05 at 00:33
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Welcome to Steam. And nice going Valve, you've essentially stopped people trying the demo with your promising, but poorly implemented program, possibly losing customers in the process. Not that Valve frequent these forums mind, but it's nice to vent some anger now and again.

As for your problem downloading files, it was common during the release day of the full game. It's possibly due to Steams servers being jam packed full, straining the speed at which things download, or something. Or maybe it's just Steam being crap again.

The only thing you can do is try again later and hope things are a bit calmer.
Mon 07/02/05 at 21:09
Regular
"Im a Daddy :-)"
Im trying to get the Half Life 2 demo to work from the PCZONE DVD, I joined steam which took an age! only to then be told that the demo needs updating and would be ready to play in.......

.......322mins 56secs? I just want to try the game out from my DVD, not download the whole god dam thing again, is there any other way to get this demo working?
Tue 01/02/05 at 16:34
Regular
"object"
its annoying i thaught i was downloading the demo but it was just steam then i had to download 700 more megabytes

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.