GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A few film reviews..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/11/04 at 14:35
Regular
Yes before you ask these are old mains**tream films that eluded my grasp but I have seen them all within the las**t week or so...

Minority Report:

6/10 - Enjoyable, flawed and at times confusing.

Ghos**t Ship:

6/10 - Enjoyed a hell of a lot more than I thought, not a great deal of suspense.

Analyse That:

6/10 - Funnyish, not as good as the firs**t, De Niro quality as ever.

Final Des**tination 2:

4/10 - Mos**t predictable film ever. Gory deaths; otherwise dull.

Halloween Resurrection:

6/10 - The only film series to scare the sh*t out of me. Spoilt by poor American acting but Mickey Myers lights up the show as ever.

Catch me if you Can:

8/10 - Pick of the bunch. Clever adaptation of a true s**tory that from what I have read s**tays pretty close to the truth.

Jet Li - Meltdown:

5/10 - Not a touch on Once upon a Time in China but watchable all the same.

Jet Li - The One:

3/10 - One of the wors**t films ever. Anyone who has seen the Jet Li films of age old will fail to unders**tand why he needed CGI to perform for him. Gutted.
Mon 13/12/04 at 13:16
Regular
But that is all the first Bad Boys film was and in fact pretty much every Michael Bay film with the odd film here and there proving more than just a thoughtless w**k fest of over the top Hollywood acion sequences. As spend £4 renting it or getting it on Box Office I thought it would be worth getting, especially seeing it it only cost around £8.80 and due to the really easy nature of picking up on films like this I will probably watch it twice.
Mon 13/12/04 at 13:06
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> The dialogue is terrible and even the majority
> of the action scenes are dire.

I felt the action sequences where the only thing holding that mess of a film together. Well, two at least, the over-the-top freeway scenes and the over-the-top Black Hawk Down style assault on a drug dealers mansion. I won’t mention how stupendously silly those scenes where as it’s a Michael Bay movie, so stupendously silly scenes will be something you’d expect to see.

The main trouble with Bad Boys 2 is it’s pathetic attempts at comedy. When Smith and Laurence aren’t shooting bad guys in the face, they usually spend the movie shouting at each other. Really loudly. That’s it, that’s bay’s idea of comedy. There are other attempts, “HaHa, look! The villain’s 8 year old daughter is fat, FAT!!! HaHa”, but throughout I don’t recall laughing, or even smiling at any of this movies limp jokes.

Overall it’s just a collection of mildly entertaining action scenes spread out thinly over a movie with no interesting characters, a dull and cliché ridden story and little comic value, unless you are amused by big budgeted movies that reek of amateurism. A movie designed purely for rent fodder.
Mon 13/12/04 at 11:04
Regular
Yeah, Ewan Mcgregor is high up there amongst my favourite actors, seen very few films with him in that have been disappointing.

Also nearly forgot a film I saw on Saturday or should that be I wish I could forget...

Ali G: In da House

2/10 - In all seriousness what the hell was this? The legacy of 'init' is slowly drifting away with both this absolute shi*e fest and his last DVD 'Bling Bling'. The only times I laughed were at moments where I really couldn't do anything other than feel sorry for him. Jest or no jest this is unbelievably bad and it is no wonder he flopped in the States. Nothing like his original material on the 11 O'clock show and it was just deliberately crude at time because it lacked the ability to be anything other. So so so bad, a real horror of a movie.
Sun 12/12/04 at 23:12
Regular
Big Fish is wonderful!

Along with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, it's probably the best film I've seen this year.

Bad Boys 2 is awful. The dialogue is terrible and even the majority of the action scenes are dire. The last 20 minutes save it a bit of credibility as they're quite entertaining, but the rest is mindnumbing and it goes on for far too long considering the type of film it is.

Master and Commander's an enjoyable film I thought, has some impressive battle scenes.

Oh and Day after tomorrow was enjoyable nonsense, not sure how well it'd translate to the small screen though.
Sun 12/12/04 at 21:38
Regular
Pirates of the Caribbean:

6/10 - Just watched this on the Disney Channel, Depp was excellent as ever but it was a typical Jerry Bruckheimer film, every sequence marred by repetitive music and over the top action. Wish it was a little more gritty with a little less humour in places in what was an otherwise pretty good film. I expected more to be honest which is odd really as The Rock is the only Jerry Bruckheimer production that actually really impressed upon me. Would watch again sometime though, plenty of replay value, decent visual effects and as mentioned Depp was superb as per.

Friday 13th Part 2:

7-10 - On the marathon of watching all the Friday 13th films on Sky Movie 8 at the moment. Watched this last night and it brought back some excellent 'old skool' memories from my horror collection. Suspense, 'awesomely' gruesome deaths, cheesy acting and highly predictable; what more could you want from a horror film? Don't really find Jason as scary as Michael Myers but all the same it has a great atmosphere and the wheel chair death was hilarious.

I also picked up Bad Boys 2, Matrix Revolutions, Big Fish, Master and Commander and The Day after Tomorrow yesterday for a total of £44 which was a pretty decent deal considering they are all (bar Big Fish) the 2 disc editions. Looking forward to Big Fish and Master and Commander but the rest are just going to be 'watch and see' type of films; most likely watchable crap but all the same they should all be pretty watchable.
Sun 05/12/04 at 21:56
Regular
I enjoyed the Hulk, thought it was watchable pretty much form the start and it was just a brainless film that can be watched and forgotten easily which is sort of the name of the game with films like that. I expected it to be average and was quite surprised at what I got. One of the better 'watch and drop' types of film I have seen this year.

Spider-Man 2 - picked up today along with i-Robot, both for £25 which was a pretty decent deal. Just watched Spider-Man 2 and thought it was quite excellent to be honest, really enjoyed it. Like X-Men 2 I feel that the sequel has pretty much destroyed the original.

Doc Ock was a more interesting choice as an arch-enemy than the Green Goblin, the special effects were crazy good, the emphasis on Parker riding MJ like a pony was still there but it didn't spoil the film as much as it did first time around. Can't pin point it exactly but I just enjoyed it a hell of a lot more. To put it on a scale of enjoyment, 8/10 seems fair as it really did capture my imagination from the start.

Top stuff!
Sun 05/12/04 at 17:46
Regular
"Touched!"
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> The Hulk is utter ****.

Gotta agree, got it as part of a 5 for £30 offer and it sucks balls, I hope they don't do a second.
Sun 05/12/04 at 14:24
Regular
It's underrated. Sure, there's a huge backstory, but some of it was actually pretty enjoyable.
Sun 05/12/04 at 14:21
Regular
The Hulk is utter ****.
Sun 05/12/04 at 12:00
Regular
gerbil man wrote:
> Catch me if you Can, apart from Lost in Translation, is the most
> boring film EVER.

:O Catch me if you can was a bit long winded but it was a superb movie!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.