GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Public smokeing laws in scotland or anywere els but why?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/11/04 at 07:44
Regular
"Guten tag mein helm"
As the news reports on the scottish parliment with the law for banning smokeing in public places no one gives any evidence about the effect passive smokeing can have.
I am not a smoker and I dont live in a smokeing home but it just seems very presumtuis to have a law put into place without a thorough scientific investigation. Its only because of a bunch of articles in the paper sevrel years ago that put the scare into people that seems to think passive smokeing will harm you. there is a show in america called pen and teller's bull****(the comedic magiciains) which they disprove alot of things that they deem bull**** and they research these things and have respected experts talk and they talked to people that had worked in bars and restruants that had alot of smokeing a bar owner worked for 20 years a non smoker and he had no problems and all the people that they talked to had worked in smokey enviroments for just as long or longer and had nothing wrong with them that smokeing could cause.

Seems our democrecy is turning into a big brother system they are even discussing law and fines to reduce the amount of advertising sweets soft drinks and other things deemed "not healthy" because there is a large percentage of children that are obese and they blame the advertising if I want to eat a snikers I will a snickers because I want a snickers not because an advert made me chose it over a mars bar.

If you can give evidence for or again or just your own veiw on all of this then talk away.
Excuse me for any grammaticle or spelling erros since I am dyslexic but I have tried my best to make sense.
Sat 04/12/04 at 15:39
Regular
I love how people perceive smokers as "nasty, ravaging, smoke puffing dragons" then think they are witty and clever by saying to someone

"If you choose to put a cancer stick in your mouth, please refrain from doing it near me as I don't want 1000 types of chemical infected my lungs"

It makes me laugh because the thing is, everyone knows smoking can lead to cancer so there is no need for the 'cancer stick' remark.

If people want to smoke, fair play to them. Most smokers I know have the decency to smoke away from you, if they enjoy their ciggarette - why stop them?

Some think it's a crime or a sin or something equally ridicoulous. If you don't smoke it doesn't mean someone else can't.

Nicotene is a drug, just like caffeine, just like alcohol - It's whether you choose to take it or not.
Sat 04/12/04 at 15:05
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
That would rule.
Or smokers could be issued our very own head-enclosing plastic tent thing, paid for by non-smokers that are fearful they will die instantly because somebody buys a pack of smokes near them.
Sat 04/12/04 at 15:02
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Facehuggers with croaky voices and smoker's coughs.
Sat 04/12/04 at 15:00
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
*nods*
Although, in an ideal world, smokers would be allowed to sit on people's chests to prevent them from leaving and breathe our smoke into their lungs directly, sort of like the facehuggers from the alien movies
Sat 04/12/04 at 14:55
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
It's no secret that the effects of long-term smoking on your body are pretty bad - it even tells you on the box. If someone wants to smoke, then that's up to them. You're not going to "catch" cancer from standing next to someone for 5 minutes by a busy road. That's just uptight people that probably comlain about their children being photographed at nativities.
Sat 04/12/04 at 14:53
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I'm so from a planet where idiocy is met with the disdain it deserves.
Ask me nicely, I'll put it out - act like that and be grateful you don't get a facial burn.

I'm just left in awe of the stupidity of the average person.
Like today, one woman puts xmas decorations up over the inside of her letterbox. Yep, baubles and lights taped over the inside of her letterbox.
Cue an angry postman jamming her letters in and watching as her trinkets fall to the floor.
"Er Postman, could you not destroy my xmas decorations"
"Why put them on the inside of your letterbox? Are you surprised that somebody dressed as a postman puts letters through?"
"Just be careful"
"...no, I'm paid to put your letters through that thing called a letterbox, if you choose to block it inside then that's not my problem".
And he stomped off to continue tramping across lawns and kicking small children as they play in the street.

Humbug
Sat 04/12/04 at 14:52
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Goatboy wrote:
> That's only happened once to me.
> Usually, and pay attention here Gaybys, if somebody objects and it's
> polite and reasonably put? I'll extinguish my cigarette happily.

That's nice, but on several occasions I've got a faceful of smoke for objecting politely to someone smoking near me.

I don't even ask for them to put it out, just to blow the smoke in a different direction.

The reply, 90% of the time, is "**** off" and a lovely puff of smoke into my face.

Like I said, I'm not saying every smoker is like that, but the fact that a sizable number are makes people quite resentful.
Sat 04/12/04 at 14:48
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Goatboy wrote:
> "#@%$ off" comes the stone-faced reply

You're so from Harlow.
Sat 04/12/04 at 14:46
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
That's only happened once to me.
Usually, and pay attention here Gaybys, if somebody objects and it's polite and reasonably put? I'll extinguish my cigarette happily.
And here's the thing, for you puritannical moonheads that don't get it, most smokers agree with non-smoking in places like airplanes/buses/restaurants/cabs/cineams.
We're just never asked, it's assumed we'll wail and gnash our teeth.

But my "coughcoughcough" experience was whilst standing outside (surrounded by cars rushing past pumping out exhaust sunshine), just minding my business and sour-faced couple choose to stand next to me and "coughcoughcough". They could've stood anywhere but nope, they had to stand next to me,
"coughcoughcough" goes she
"Excuse me, I don't want to die from cancer" says he
"#@%$ off" comes the stone-faced reply
"....well really" is angry response
Met with casual hatred and a fixed stare until they go away.
Sat 04/12/04 at 14:40
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
My favorite came from the master himself.

Cold November morning, Derby train station. a light snow falling gracefully.
Pandaemonium sparks up a tab (as he loves to have a ciggy while watching the snow. Simple pleasures) and this woman and her brat come and stand next to me. Now, please bear in mind there is an entire train platform free. There's like 4 other people around.

"Erherm, cough, Erherm, Erherm, cough, *cough*" all the while looking directly at me, for a good few minutes.

A level stare meets her back, and the words "Just as well you don't smoke with a cough like that"

I swear, I've never seen anyone turn a brighter shade of red. Well, apart from the woman with her 11 year old son in a pub bar screaming at us for swearing at 9.45pm, but that's a story for another day. What is it with crazy mother and their slope browed kids?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.