GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So I got a GC for Christmas..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 25/12/04 at 10:13
Regular
"\\"
...with Pokémon colleseum. Most boring 30 minutes of my life playing that... But that's all I got. So it's useless till I get some good games. :( Any recommendations on 2 or 3 games that I should get?

(My god the discs are small... I knew they'd be smaller than a normal CD... but... they're freaking tiny)

Anyway, I'm off to play with my little brother's (near life size :S) remote control car.

Merry Christmas :)
Sun 26/12/04 at 14:28
Regular
Zelda Wind Waker will tie you over for a while, get that and for a quick laugh get something like smash Brothers.
Sun 26/12/04 at 14:18
Regular
Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, Resi 0, Zelda : Wind Waker, Smash Bros Melee, Mario Kart : Double Dash, Pikmin, Pikmin 2.

That's all you need until Zelda and Resi 4 come along next year.
Sun 26/12/04 at 14:18
Regular
Don't get Super Monkey Ball 2??? What are you on!
Sun 26/12/04 at 14:13
Regular
I'd say Timesplitters 2 is the best all round game on the Gamecube.
Loads to do in both multiplayer and single player modes.
It isn't the best game and you'll love others better, but this is one that'll REALLY last you.

In multiplayer I'd recommend Smash Brothers and Soccer Slam.
You might like Mario Kart and F-Zero, but both pretty much suck compared to their 64bit predecessors.

For single player I'd recommend Metroid Prime and Eternal Darkness.
Anything like Zelda, Pikmin, Mario and Luigi, try and borrow off your Gamecube owning friends, because you won't outplay the loan and you won't lose any money.
Infact the same goes for any single player game, except maybe Metroid...

And Zoocube is fun but don't pay more than £5 for it! ;-)
Sun 26/12/04 at 13:09
Regular
eye'Aoe wrote:
> Right. I think I want some long RPG to play, a game that will require
> lots of bashing at the controller and something inbetween. What might
> fill those catergories?

I got Tales of Symphonia for Christmas and so far I can see myself getting pretty engrossed in it.

A lot of people will probably tell me off for saying this, but I think it's similar to Final Fantasy VIII.

It's got amazingly quaint visuals and a pretty decent battle system.
Sun 26/12/04 at 12:51
Regular
"bing bang bong"
These are the games I've got that I'd recommend:

Zelda
A lot of people don't like the sailing, but this is easily worth the £17.99 SR are asking.

Metroid Prime
Probably one of the top 5 all-time 2D->3D conversion jobs. £17.99 on SR is a pittance for this shattering masterpiece.

Soul Calibur II
Best enjoyed with eyes open, due to amazing graphics and animation. £17.99 on SR again.

F-Zero GX
Not to everyones tastes, much to my amazement as I think it one of the best games on the GC. Graphics to absolutely die for, and again, only £18 on SR.

Super Mario Sunshine
Slightly dodgy camera and some repetitive or unfair missions spoil what would otherwise have probably been the best game ever made. As it is, it's only extremely good, and £18 on SR.

Super Monkey Ball
Read the reviews for this, I cba to explain it other than it's arguably got more airtime on my GC than any of my other games. Get this, and do not get the sequel.

1080 Avalanche
Pretty addictive this. Good hangover game, for some reason. SR and play.com don't sell it, Amazon have it for £30 but don't pay that. See if you can get it second hand.

Ikaruga
Ikaruga's difficulty starts with even trying to find a copy. It only gets harder from there.

PS - You worthless %&stards, Special Reserve. Your 60 character filter prevents me from linking to your own bloody games.
Sat 25/12/04 at 23:27
"period drama"
I remember getting my GC ... the first hour was spent looking at the console ... wow, look how tiny it is! So cute.

Then I opened a game case ... that was another hour gone. wow, look how tiny it is! So cute.

No jokes.

Anywho, you'll want something along the lines of:

Skies
Zelda
Paper Mario 2
Metroid (either)
Mario Sunshine
Pikmin 2
Viewtiful Joe

To kick things off. And tonnes of muli-format games as well seem so, so at home on the GC<
Sat 25/12/04 at 23:00
Regular
Ikaruga is very, very good. HM and AC are as well, but get boring before too long and soon become crap.
Sat 25/12/04 at 22:56
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I have:

Animal Crossing
Harvest Moon
Sonic Mega Collection (you must own this)

That's all I have though, as I just recently got a GC again. However I'd also recommend Ikaruga if you think you can handle it.

:)
Sat 25/12/04 at 15:10
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Paper Mario 2 for humour and RPGness
Metroid Prime 2 for thrill, excitement, tension, exploration and challenge
Mario Kart DD for multiplayer excellence.
And if you wan't to bash things, then Donkey Konga is probably one of the best, if not THE best multiplayer cube game
Wario Ware is also simple addictive genius.

Obviously Zelda if you want a superbly playable and enjoyable game that you'll never forget, and Mario if you want some top quality platforming.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.