GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Halo 2 impressions..."

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/11/04 at 18:35
Regular
Yeah so I got the game today, finally. Only played the first section and half of the second on Legendary so far.

First the good things...

The AI is greatly improved and a lot more challenging. Legendary first time around didn't really put you on the spot like it has done so far this time around. Rather than just running into you they do take cover, dodge grenades far quicker and they are just generally a lot smarter than they were in Halo. This for me on its own merit is worth a massive mention because the first Halo was just way too easy.

Secondly, the frame rate is smoother than last time and the general movement of the cross-hair is quicker. Aiming is more precise and the feel of the weapon/s is better than it was in the original.

Thirdly, Dual Wielding is a decent addition, picked it up instantly and didn't have a problem, really can't see where all the complaints are coming from with how difficult they are to use.

Fourthly, the new Assault Rifle is better than the original Assault Rifle, it now has a scope, is more powerful and in general it benefits those who prefer to go for head shots rather than all out warfare.

Finally it clearly takes awesome advantage of LIVE and I haven't even played it yet. The menus are excellent, the customisation is excellent, and the integration of LIVE 3.0 is excellent. From what I have seen of the LIVE aspects there has been some truly ground breaking stuff here for console online gaming.

But now the bad...

Firstly, it feels like an expansion pack and opening section was like the Pillar of Autumn all over again. The game handles the same, feels the same and even looks similar. I don't know what it is but I originally expected so much more. I am glad I toned it down with the hype.

Secondly the game doesn't visually blow you away, not like Doom 3 did and Far Cry or even Riddick. In all honesty I think that on face value Riddick is a better looking game and even the new physics engine hardly flatters. Doesn't bother me all that much but I'm just no-where near as impressed as I thought I would be.

Thirdly there feels to be something missing but I'm not sure what it is. The first area felt a little flat where as the opening section of Doom 3 had such an amazing atmosphere and a great feeling of tension. I will lay my finger on exactly what makes it feel a little empty as I progress.

I will play LIVE later after I have gotten on with some much needed work so I will add my opinions in here. For now though I just can't see it keeping me for even a minute away from Half-Life 2.
Tue 16/11/04 at 11:46
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I think I played it for too many hours yesterday. I feel unhealthy.
Tue 16/11/04 at 10:14
Regular
Suck 8=====D you filthy worm sperm.

I will be up for some LIVE play tonight, just didn't get time last night. After I have cracked on with Half-Life 2 if you are interested.
Tue 16/11/04 at 07:46
Regular
"tokyo police club"
'This sucks! I'm only going to complete another 4 times... today'
Mon 15/11/04 at 19:04
Regular
"Bah"
Yeah seems a cool game but dso much has been lost. like the glitch on how to get the extra multiplayer level and the fact that to get recognition for cmpleting it on each difficulty you have to start a new profile. just annoying
Mon 15/11/04 at 18:35
Regular
Yeah so I got the game today, finally. Only played the first section and half of the second on Legendary so far.

First the good things...

The AI is greatly improved and a lot more challenging. Legendary first time around didn't really put you on the spot like it has done so far this time around. Rather than just running into you they do take cover, dodge grenades far quicker and they are just generally a lot smarter than they were in Halo. This for me on its own merit is worth a massive mention because the first Halo was just way too easy.

Secondly, the frame rate is smoother than last time and the general movement of the cross-hair is quicker. Aiming is more precise and the feel of the weapon/s is better than it was in the original.

Thirdly, Dual Wielding is a decent addition, picked it up instantly and didn't have a problem, really can't see where all the complaints are coming from with how difficult they are to use.

Fourthly, the new Assault Rifle is better than the original Assault Rifle, it now has a scope, is more powerful and in general it benefits those who prefer to go for head shots rather than all out warfare.

Finally it clearly takes awesome advantage of LIVE and I haven't even played it yet. The menus are excellent, the customisation is excellent, and the integration of LIVE 3.0 is excellent. From what I have seen of the LIVE aspects there has been some truly ground breaking stuff here for console online gaming.

But now the bad...

Firstly, it feels like an expansion pack and opening section was like the Pillar of Autumn all over again. The game handles the same, feels the same and even looks similar. I don't know what it is but I originally expected so much more. I am glad I toned it down with the hype.

Secondly the game doesn't visually blow you away, not like Doom 3 did and Far Cry or even Riddick. In all honesty I think that on face value Riddick is a better looking game and even the new physics engine hardly flatters. Doesn't bother me all that much but I'm just no-where near as impressed as I thought I would be.

Thirdly there feels to be something missing but I'm not sure what it is. The first area felt a little flat where as the opening section of Doom 3 had such an amazing atmosphere and a great feeling of tension. I will lay my finger on exactly what makes it feel a little empty as I progress.

I will play LIVE later after I have gotten on with some much needed work so I will add my opinions in here. For now though I just can't see it keeping me for even a minute away from Half-Life 2.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.