GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sid Meier's Pirates impressions..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Sid Meier's Pirates'.
Mon 27/12/04 at 03:23
Regular
Excellent simplistic genius!

So addictive, surprisingly deep and officially the best pirate game EVA!!11!!

Just for the hell I find it pretty fun just to sail around randomly attacking other ships. Is a hell of a lot deeper than I thought and it plays better than the original.

Can't recommend it enough, top game!
Mon 27/12/04 at 23:06
Regular
"And some more !"
is it in ay way an rpg game? and if yes how

thanks
Mon 27/12/04 at 22:53
Regular
I agree.

I was shocked to see it wasn't as it would work really well.

Simple game, very few cut-scenes, the single player is setup in a way that wouldn't need to be massively adapted for multiplayer. I would imagine an expansion pack may be announced soon so they may venture into multiplayer then.

Also when sneaking you can knock guards out, providing you don't run. You can also climb walls and hide behind hay stacks in case you skipped the little tutorial.
Mon 27/12/04 at 22:48
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I do now. And no, I didn't read the manual as I am lazy. Also I would just like to add, this game would have been great with multiplayer support.
Mon 27/12/04 at 22:42
Regular
You do know you hold shift to run don't you?
Mon 27/12/04 at 22:35
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Loosing crew and ships I can live with, but it's having to part with treasure that bugs me. Why can't I store it in a bank? or better yet, bury it on a desert island as my own private stash? Small complaint really though, money is so easy to get on this game.

Also, I just managed to try the sneaky stealth game earlier today, it's pants. Walking round a maze like town with dozens of guards to avoid while walking at a stupidly slow pace. Love the ship to ship combat and turn based town invasions though.
Mon 27/12/04 at 21:17
Regular
It is best to split the earnings and then go get a new crew. You aren't forced to quit at that stage and to be honest it would be a bit pants without the ability to switch a crew with low morale.

Most frustrating part would be getting heavily defeated in a duel, sometimes I guess completely wrong and end up losing everything.
Mon 27/12/04 at 19:22
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I'm not sure. It's a good game, plenty of variety, lots of things to do, but it's repetitive and the constant belly aching crew constantly force me to split my fleet and profits before they mutiny, forcing me to start again.

Sailing eastwards is a pain in the rear, seeing my huge war galleon struggle to make 2 knots because the wind is blowing against me, all the while food gets consumed by the crew forcing yet another stop at yet another port to buy yet more food.

But, it's easy to pick up, no tutorial needed because the controls are so simple you can fall into the game straight away, and going treasure hunting makes up for the repetition of visiting so many ports. It's the ship to ship combat that really saves it though, using the wind to your advantage and blasting enemy ships with a variety of different cannon balls.

Decent enough I suppose, but nothing really special.
Mon 27/12/04 at 15:59
Regular
"Captain to you."
I thought it was brillant i played it through 3 times only getting the top rank on the last go, unfortunatly i died from poor health in the other 2 times and not very wealthy.

i like the whole life span system in the game it means you have to really try to achive what your doing not just sail around till you have a huge boat and crew then do the main quest.
Mon 27/12/04 at 03:24
Regular
Also the manual is stupidly big, read it earlier and afterwards I felt I had enough information to take on a US Naval fleet, waaaaaaaaay over the top.
Mon 27/12/04 at 03:23
Regular
Excellent simplistic genius!

So addictive, surprisingly deep and officially the best pirate game EVA!!11!!

Just for the hell I find it pretty fun just to sail around randomly attacking other ships. Is a hell of a lot deeper than I thought and it plays better than the original.

Can't recommend it enough, top game!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.