GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sid Meier's Pirates impressions..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Sid Meier's Pirates'.
Mon 27/12/04 at 03:23
Regular
Excellent simplistic genius!

So addictive, surprisingly deep and officially the best pirate game EVA!!11!!

Just for the hell I find it pretty fun just to sail around randomly attacking other ships. Is a hell of a lot deeper than I thought and it plays better than the original.

Can't recommend it enough, top game!
Sun 02/01/05 at 01:01
Regular
"A man with a stick"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Also when sneaking you can knock guards out, providing you don't run.
> You can also climb walls and hide behind hay stacks in case you
> skipped the little tutorial.

There's a tutorial!!!!! I don't know how I missed that, will have to go back and see if it change's my mind about the stealth sections. Damn my rushing into things again.
Sun 02/01/05 at 00:39
Regular
Also when you attack a City you take on the leader of the City, the men you take with you is bsaically number in the top corner of the screen which drops when they are killed. If you can hold the other captain off until your men have killed all of their's, you will win and vice versa.

It's basically like a ship battle only on land.

Also if you find the sword fights a bit nails on 'Swashbuckler' scan the manual for what blocks do what etc.
Sun 02/01/05 at 00:37
Regular
Sorry mate only just seen this. It seems easy at first because the difficulty defaults to very easy. If you quit the game and then start a new one, after you have entered your name you will get to choose the difficulty, the special area your pirate excels in as well as the period you want to start in.
Sat 01/01/05 at 20:36
Regular
ah, just found this on gamefaqs.com :

Q: I want to attack a city, but the option is greyed out! Why?

A: You have brought so few men that you don't stand even a remote chance. Come back with a bigger crew, and/or convince nearby Pirate Havens/Indian Villages to attack the target. They can soften it up for you.
Sat 01/01/05 at 20:22
Regular
Got this yesterday, cracked it open today for some Pirate action.

What I didn't realise is the first time you play through you don't get to choose many of the options such as era, character speciality, sword types etc. It's set to very easy and I'm finding the sword fights in particular too easy.

Still, it's a good introduction to it.

What I can't understand is why I can't attack towns/cities. I've been kicking the crap out of spains vessels for ages now, to the point that when I go to this particular port, I get the message that they fired upon me and won't let me in. But where it says 'Attack town' in the available options, it's greyed out for some reason.

Do you need a particular number of crew first, or do I need to annoy them even more, or what? It doesn't work if I anchor ship and walk to the town either, it's still greyed out.

Any ideas?
Wed 29/12/04 at 11:44
Regular
I was so looking forward to this,however avoided any unneceassry expenditure earlier in the month due to end of uni term poverty, now chrimbo arrives and i was feeling a bit better so i bagged me a copy yesterday, must have played it about ten hours straight i love these games. I don't want to know how long i played the original, i must have been high treble figures! and i still regard it as in my top 3 games of all time (probably second).

seems pretty damn good, not many complaints. Oh and who ever it was who complianed about the ballroom dancing it is fairly hard to start with but once youve tried it 5 or 6 times you should be close to completing it, after that you'll be able to do it ptty much two thirds of the time.

anyway back to the addiction.

Ps. sorry if there are lots of typo's! half the keys on this keyboard don't work very well!
Wed 29/12/04 at 10:43
Regular
The Ballroom is a stroke of ingenuity, really hilarious and completely bizarre. Ship battles are probably the most consistently fun section although when you get to grips with how the other captains fight the sword fights can get extremely addictive.

Setting a higher difficulty level most certainly adds a lot more of a challenge to the game although I would advise starting on the lowest setting and then every time you split the earnings up it then when you are given the option. I have tried jumping in at Swash-buckle difficulty from the start and it is a really unforgiving game as the ship battles are fricking nails and the sword duels are damn near impossible. Once you get into it though with a decent crew, a lot of gold and an idea of what to do it is suddenly all the more playable.

Definitely the sleeper hit of the year for me, excellent fun, original concept (for those who haven't played the original of course) and possibly one of the greatest remake style sequels on the PC.
Tue 28/12/04 at 21:00
Regular
Alastair, you've convinced me.

I was seriously considering getting it anyway, but that's clinched it.

Not too sure about the whole ballroom dancing crap though, and apparently a big let down is that you can't attack land targets with your ship(s), you have to disembark and do it the boring way.

But still, it's the finest looking title around at the moment I think, bar Half-Life 2, but I have way too many first person shooters.

I was also considering the sims 2, but it just seems a collossal waste of my spare time. It just strikes me as being 'Big Brother - the game'.
Tue 28/12/04 at 16:22
Regular
"hulagadoo"
The game is class but the ballroom dancing with the guvnors daughter is driving me mad.
Tue 28/12/04 at 01:30
Regular
"Captain to you."
I loved the original of this and i love the new version.

I would like to see a muliplayer add-on for sure even if it was only a 10 player game each as one of the pirates in the list (you could have more than this but then the map would have to be extended to a larger area).

This would make it a good LAN and interent game. Much like freelancer where people come back to servers for their character and don't have them stored on their own computer.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.