GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 madness escalates"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/11/06 at 13:14
Regular
"black + blue"
With 5 months 'til the European launch, where will it all end?

Forget terrorism, obesity, global warming and the Russians. The end of the world is nigh and it's all down to Sony and the increasingly bizarre PS3 frenzy. The US and Japanese launches have given rise to all kinds of silliness, and with Christmas still to come and months 'til the European launch, we can only head for the bunkers with all the canned food we can manage and await the chaos.

There were violent scenes in the United States as fights broke out amongst the crowds of gamers and speculators who had been queuing up to a week to get hold of a PS3. One man was shot by a gang attempting to relieve the queuing hoards of their savings outside a branch of Wal-Mart, and another PS3 queue was subjected to an amusing drive-by BB gun attack.

The Japanese launch was followed last week by a plague of imported PS3s, that infected Ebay on a biblical scale. One British bidder paid almost £8000 for a console, and Ebay apparently stopped an auction for a 60Gb model when bidding reached $89 million.

In the midst of the absurdity, two Canadian teenagers found an excellent way of drawing attention to themselves. Their social experiment involved waiting for 2 days to buy a PS3, only to destroy it with a sledgehammer in order to monitor the reactions of those around them. Apparently the PS3 “held up pretty well. It took about 15 hits to break it”. Given that Sony have not opted to make inch-thick lead casing a new feature of the Playstation, this probably tells us more about the upper body strength of these two idle young lollygaggers than it does about the robust construction of the console. But we have to congratulate Sony for having the foresight to design the PS3 to withstand fisty scuffles between frustrated gamers in the high street. It will be a long 5 months...
Sun 26/11/06 at 17:06
Regular
"You have a choice"
First of all, can I say Its good to see UKchat back, I checked up by a complete fluke and here it was. XD

I dont think its madness...yeah, its disappointing stuff, but its not like Sony do it on purpose.
Sun 26/11/06 at 00:54
Regular
"8==="
I can't help but think that Sony are thinking long-term here.

Providing they can stay solvent ( :D ) they seem to have the console that's built the most for the 'long-haul'.

Essentially it seems like they're making an early play for the generation of consoles AFTER this one because by then they plan to have a huge user-base and if they can keep the titles coming they may be able to gain back what they're surely to lose this time around.

It's an odd approach and it's seriously risky, but when you think how the PS1 is still going you know that Sony can certainly do longevity.
Sat 25/11/06 at 18:53
Regular
I can't actually find the data but Nintendo should have shipped around 6 million Wii's by Easter... Microsoft have sold 7 million to date (although Sold and Shipped are very different things)... I can see Nintendo amounting a fan base very fast.

It's the DS' doing.
Sat 25/11/06 at 18:21
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
They'd need a much bigger start than they have right now considering Ninty will be closing that lead down very quickly in Japan alone where Microsoft has sold about 5 360's :-D
Sat 25/11/06 at 18:14
Regular
Well that was obvious.

A huge launch title, a massive software line up, enough consoles to go around, affordable price and a buzz around the industry.

I read a nice article about the "official start of the next generation console war". It commented on Microsoft's head start being solid but not as good as expected, Nintendo gearing up quickly to catch up on this head start whilst Sony, at least, "showed up".

I am quite looking forward to it.
Sat 25/11/06 at 18:05
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Indeed, and it seems the majority opinion of those who voted on the gamefaqs poll of which had the best launch, the Wii wins hands down
Sat 25/11/06 at 18:00
Regular
With the low software to console ratio, it is safe to say the PS3 has had a guff launch.
Sat 25/11/06 at 17:09
Regular
"zombies rule"
i dont know why everyone is going so mad over the PS3, it is just another console and the first batch will be full of glitches and will need fine tuned. It is better to wait till it is fixed properly and when it is cheaper, what is the point in paying 400 bucks for a console that will be half that price in a few months.
Fri 24/11/06 at 13:43
Regular
"8==="
Of course when you hear people saying that the import PS3 they played doesn't seem to do anything to mark it above a 360 and that the tilt control really isn't up to much... that kind of hurts the hype.

It'll be interesting to see what the power of word of mouth does in the following months.
Fri 24/11/06 at 13:23
"possibly impossible"
Too few consoles for too many people. In a way it's good for Sony because it makes the console look even more desirable and popular than it is. Of course, when the sales figures come out in comparison to the Wii they will suffer, but then long term it may look better for them as long as those few that have a PS3 keep saying good things about it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.