GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"In Half-Life 2...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Tue 28/12/04 at 19:17
Regular
"Selected"
Just finished this - thought it was excellent. But where in the hell were all the scary underwater shark-monsters??

Some of the scariest bits from the first one for me were the underwater sections - seeing the shadow of a giant man-eating mutent fish swimming around in the same water as me was quite distrurbing.

It's weird becuase near the beginning, when the teleportation things goes wrong and you start appearing in different places, one place is underwater where a strage worm thing tries to eat you...yet you didn't actually see them in the game!

So where were my sea monsters?
Mon 03/01/05 at 10:23
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Tomoose wrote:
> mikelar wrote:
> Also, what in the hell happened to the blue thing:
>
> [URL]http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/screens.html?page=5[/URL]
>
> I bet it was a boss they cut.
>
> Strange...

The Hydra was indeed an entire level that was cut. Valve decided it felt out of place in the game. I'm really clad the shark things were removed, as I've always thought them to be crap.
Mon 03/01/05 at 09:45
Regular
"the burning sky"
mikelar wrote:
> Also, what in the hell happened to the blue thing:
>
> [URL]http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/screens.html?page=5[/URL]
>
> I bet it was a boss they cut.

Strange...
Sun 02/01/05 at 22:45
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I did find those barnacles scary though. But I think it was more the thought of being sucked up on some disgusting sticky tongue thing then having your head digested rather than them actually being dangerous.
Sun 02/01/05 at 22:08
Regular
"Selected"
Also, what in the hell happened to the blue thing:

[URL]http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/screens.html?page=5[/URL]

I bet it was a boss they cut.
Sun 02/01/05 at 22:01
Regular
"Selected"
Well ok, everybody has an opinion I guess.

I just feel the game would have benefited from the inclusion of some huge-ass seafaring aliens....!
Sun 02/01/05 at 21:32
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Also, apologies if these posts sound tetchy, I’m tires so am more irritable than usual.
Sun 02/01/05 at 21:20
Regular
"A man with a stick"
mikelar wrote:
> Those dog things weren't great but they were still pretty freaky.
> Anyway, nobody's even talking about those, its the other monsters I'm
> talking about. y'know, the good ones.

Sound dogs, Headcrabs, Roof Barnacles, not threatening in the least. They used simplistic attacks (or just sit their in the case of the roof barnacle) and offer no challenge what so ever.

I did enjoy fighting against the Antlions in HL2 though, and though their over-sensitivity
to sound was a nice touch, but in the end consistent battles with these things was simply a case of strafing allot and shooting from a distance (when you could).

> Did you read that off the back of the case or something? Because
> apart from the odd dodge the combine did, I was never flanked and
> never witnessed any 'maneuvering' by them.

Oh, they weren’t brilliantly smart, but they offered up more of a challenge than any alien in either of the two games. I don’t recall being flushed out of corners with grenades by Headcrab zombies. My point here is that I enjoy fighting against enemies who fight back, not enemies who’s soul purpose it is to lunge at me with simplistic attacks just to slow me down a bit.

> "Useless and pointless" he says....! Did you even see the
> massive 3-headed green....thingy in the first game? That was ace -
> you didn't even have to fight it! It was a boss-puzzle. The huge
> thing in the mines was also more of a puzzle and the spider alien
> near the end was scary as hell to fight. All brilliant.

Yes, he does say useless and pointless. Yes I did enjoy the huge three legged claw thing, but that wasn’t really a boss battle, it was a puzzle. The end of Half Life 1 however, typifies everything I hate about encounters with these sodding useless and pointless creations.

A huge fight against a giant floating alien that fires energy balls at you and who’s only weakness is it’s brain (it’s head conveniently opens every now and again to expose life threatening weakness). So, tool up, waste ammo, die and reload. Brilliant, I spend all that time playing a game only for it turn around and slap me in the face with some rubbish boss battle at the end.

Even HL2 wasn’t free of this, and fighting the Antlion queens was a long and stupid battle that required you to waste half your ammo to drop the thing.

> Err, I don't remember having to do anything else other than run, jump
> and shoot for the end battle in HL2 so I have no idea what you're
> talking about here.

What am I talking about? I’m talking about the simplicity of it. It was an easy level, one I didn’t find myself reloading for and one I didn’t need vast amounts of weapons and ammo to use. It was simply a case of destroying a few specific areas of equipment until the whole thing went Boom, not some long, boring battle where you have to search for a weakness while getting blasted at by huge life draining energy balls.
Sun 02/01/05 at 21:10
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Those things that come out of the ground in HL2 when you're heading to Nova Prospekt scare the **** out of me. Seriously, I HATE them.
Sun 02/01/05 at 21:08
Regular
Haha I loved the sea monsters - Itchysaoruos is what they were called. They scared the crap outta me every time lol! Some aliens were rubbish, like the dog for example but some were proper scary like the bee-shooting guy. I remember the first time you come across one and he's locked in a glass cage and you have to let him out, top stuff.
Sun 02/01/05 at 20:52
Regular
"Selected"
Cycloon wrote:
> I haven't played HL2 for..ooo......about a month now.
>
> I really don't enjoy it, despite its obvious greatness.

It is blatantly genius but I know what you mean - after finishing it about a week ago I'm yet to go back to reply it on a hard....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.